• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

City Harvest and Buddhism.Let's compare.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Hahahaha !

If hardcore theravada buddhism is agsint marriage and sex, then there will not be any layman followers to this discipline. I consider Theravada Buddhism as the most primitive and closest to the original Buddha's teaching and base on what I learn, Buddha has never tell people not to have sex or marriage. He did provide a guidelines on what is the right behaviour for married couples and responsibility towards sexual activities.

If abstenance is what you referring to regarding sex, then it only applies to monkhood when a person put more commitment to rid of worldly cravings and attain inner peace.

clap clap clap. that is my understanding as well

ignore that idiot. he is just buddhism version of psalm23.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I agree with you that nothing is permanant and unchangeable and one thing you need to know is that marriage is more of a financial contract and not one base on love. those getting married for love alone will more likely to fail which will lead to your prediction of divorce.

Wow, that is amazing. If you agree with me that nothing is permanent and unchangeable, why are you assuming that your financial status will not deteriorate for the duration of your marriage? Do you mean when you get married, you actually make a guaranteed promise to your spouse that your income will at least remain stable for the duration of your marriage after accounting for inflation? I will believe you if let's say you have a couple of millions in your bank account, but that's you only. LOL!

In maariage, one commits to building a family, reproduction of next generation and take care of your life partner till death do us part. Blaming on impermanance is a lazy excuse for failure.

In that case, the Buddha must have been one huge super failure. It's precisely because he saw the impermanence of life and that's why he abandoned his marriage and family in search of the answer. Why don't you tell me that you don't really believe in the Buddha and the Dhamma?

Marriage is not a concept of God because marriage also occurs in ancient times at places where God did not exist.

All along, I had never said that marriage is a concept of God. I only said that marriage is a delusion just like the invisible man in the sky.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

clap clap clap. that is my understanding as well

ignore that idiot. he is just buddhism version of psalm23.

Did I ever tell you or anyone not to have sex or engage in marriage?

It's a well-known fact that hardcore = supramundane Theravada Buddhism is against sex and marriage. The Vinaya is very clear on this.

Mundane Theravada Buddhism is practised by lay followers and does not represent the highest teachings of Theravada Buddhism. Mundane Theravada Buddhism does not lead to awakening.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Obviously, you have never heard of the eight precepts when you speak in this manner.

The Buddha actively encouraged monks and lay followers to put commitment to rid of cravings (craving is worldly, by the way) and attain unworldly happiness.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.176.than.html

craving is good ...craving is like a motivation to push u further ...for example i have craving for money thats why i work hard for it .....buddha himself and his followers also have craving to attain nirvana :wink:

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Wow, that is amazing. If you agree with me that nothing is permanent and unchangeable, why are you assuming that your financial status will not deteriorate for the duration of your marriage? Do you mean when you get married, you actually make a guaranteed promise to your spouse that your income will at least remain stable for the duration of your marriage after accounting for inflation? I will believe you if let's say you have a couple of millions in your bank account, but that's you only. LOL!

In that case, the Buddha must have been one huge super failure. It's precisely because he saw the impermanence of life and that's why he abandoned his marriage and family in search of the answer. Why don't you tell me that you don't really believe in the Buddha and the Dhamma?

All along, I had never said that marriage is a concept of God. I only said that marriage is a delusion just like the invisible man in the sky.

marriage is not a delusion if both partner know how to make their marriage work ...:wink: ..you and use uncertain but not delusion :wink: .

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I checked and confirm I did use the word 'delusion' and not the word 'uncertain'. Were you high on weeds?

what i meant is delusion is not a correct word to use for marriage ..maybe uncertain is a better choice ...you high on K ? :wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You are so clever! Without reading the suttas, you have captured the essence of the teachings.

Yes, when you attain nirvana, all craving for anything including nibbana itself is allayed.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn51/sn51.015.than.html
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.159.than.html

on the journey of attaining nivana its still call attactment :wink: , buddists also craving to go nirvana ...:wink: ..thats why buddha also like to kong lanjiao wei like the rest of the religion :wink:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

what i meant is delusion is not a correct word to use for marriage ..maybe uncertain is a better choice ...

Hoping for certainty of desired outcome in something that is inherently uncertain is an act of delusion.

Marriage, in my opinion, is a very expensive delusional hope. It's good if you are lucky.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

buddists also craving to go nirvana ...

I believe that craving for the noble eightfold path (aka the raft) is the craving to end all cravings. You have to hold on to the raft before you can reach the other shore, or else you drown.

Your opinion does not matter to me at all.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Hoping for certainty of desired outcome in something that is inherently uncertain is an act of delusion.

Marriage, in my opinion, is a very expensive delusional hope. It's good if you are lucky.

are you a monk ? if you mean hoping for certainty of desired outcome in something that is inherently uncertain is an act of delusion...then trying to attain nivana can also be call delusion :wink: ,waiting and hoping for a taxi to come also can call delusion ..basically everything can be delusion ...in my dictionary delusion means hoping for something that will never happen is call delusion . marriage can be sucessful so its not call delusion :wink: . hope you get your facts right :wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I believe that craving for the noble eightfold path (aka the raft) is the craving to end all cravings. You have to hold on to the raft before you can reach the other shore, or else you drown.

Your opinion does not matter to me at all.

if my opinon does not matter to you ...why are you replying to me ? :wink: obviously you are another religious nuts and i hit your nerve that cause a reaction from you ( and thats what i wanted :wink: ). you are just like pslam23 and kinana only believe in your own cult . what believe that craving for the noble eightfold path (aka the raft) is the craving to end all cravings.whahahahahha... :wink:

ps : you already attacted to enaged with me here :wink: and its a craving for you to reply me too :wink: ...see i am qualify to become buddha too :wink: omitoufuck :wink:

Last edited:

always1600

Alfrescian
Loyal

I read w great n strong interest here regarding about Buddhism. But I sense strongly tis is going off track.
'Crave' does come with a certain % of greed to obtain 1's desire destination. The proper word to choose is...
'Strive'...

Buddhist r require to forsake 'crave' BUT 'strive' to achieve nirvana. Hope it will put right n not distort the real fact.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I read w great n strong interest here regarding about Buddhism. But I sense strongly tis is going off track.
'Crave' does come with a certain % of greed to obtain 1's desire destination. The proper word to choose is...
'Strive'...

Buddhist r require to forsake 'crave' BUT 'strive' to achieve nirvana. Hope it will put right n not distort the real fact.

sorry bro ,i dont agree that all crave come with a certain % of greed ( only some ) . i crave for chicken rice ..does not mean i am greedy for chicken rice .

i do agree buddhist learn to fosake crave but strive to achieve nirvana ....but without attactment to buddisum its impossible to STRIVE to achieve nivana . there must be attactment for buddist to strive .

always1600

Alfrescian
Loyal

sorry bro ,i dont agree that all crave come with a certain % of greed ( only some ) . i crave for chicken rice ..does not mean i am greedy for chicken rice .

i do agree buddhist learn to fosake crave but strive to achieve nirvana ....but without attactment to buddisum its impossible to STRIVE to achieve nivana . there must be attactment for buddist to strive .

Bro drifter, do agreed if u use 'crave' on personal preference n desire but still, as u mentioned 'only some' still carry some % of greed. Meaning...if I crave for chicken rice, I must hv it today now immediately, no-1-can-stop-me mentality, no compromise but along tis way I might create some inconvenience or unhappiness for others which Buddhist r not 'encourage'.

However, 'Strive' r use to represent my desire goal to achieve what I hv put forward 2. Attachments r inevitable, I hv family 2 feed n house 2 pay. I need 2 'strive' for a better life 4 them as long as my able body allows.

U see, I got pissed when fellow Buddhist question my 'crave' n greedy for being a monetary slave n must forsake them quick cos it's slowing down my path 2 nirvana. Hellooooooo?!! I 'strive' not 'crave' so I can hv enough warm food on d table for my family. I 'strive' not 'crave' so I can end my attachments I'm in quickly.

I question, all along....how authentic n true are these religion books. From thousand years, how many editions has d book been edited, n by who who has that ability 2 understand n translate from speeches 2 stone crafting text 2 bamboo 2 paper till today. No one can give me abit of assurance it's authenticity. So how can I describe myself....

I am an atheistic Buddhist, I guess. 'Crave' or 'Strive' is ones interpretation to suit its own desire. Life is short, let's not dwell on d past n work the future for this world n our love ones. Cheer, guys!!

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Bro drifter, do agreed if u use 'crave' on personal preference n desire but still, as u mentioned 'only some' still carry some % of greed. Meaning...if I crave for chicken rice, I must hv it today now immediately, no-1-can-stop-me mentality, no compromise but along tis way I might create some inconvenience or unhappiness for others which Buddhist r not 'encourage'.

However, 'Strive' r use to represent my desire goal to achieve what I hv put forward 2. Attachments r inevitable, I hv family 2 feed n house 2 pay. I need 2 'strive' for a better life 4 them as long as my able body allows.

U see, I got pissed when fellow Buddhist question my 'crave' n greedy for being a monetary slave n must forsake them quick cos it's slowing down my path 2 nirvana. Hellooooooo?!! I 'strive' not 'crave' so I can hv enough warm food on d table for my family. I 'strive' not 'crave' so I can end my attachments I'm in quickly.

I question, all along....how authentic n true are these religion books. From thousand years, how many editions has d book been edited, n by who who has that ability 2 understand n translate from speeches 2 stone crafting text 2 bamboo 2 paper till today. No one can give me abit of assurance it's authenticity. So how can I describe myself....

I am an atheistic Buddhist, I guess. 'Crave' or 'Strive' is ones interpretation to suit its own desire. Life is short, let's not dwell on d past n work the future for this world n our love ones. Cheer, guys!!

ok bro ....you make sense and i agree with your view . im a logical person as you can see from all my post .i dont argue for the sake of arguing cause end of the day it will still make me look stupid ..look at pslam23 , kinana and now terrorist buddha kryonlight the more they argue the more stupid they get . i always respect reasonable religious ppl like you and some of the christains here if they use logic to send their message across ..

" Meaning...if I crave for chicken rice, I must hv it today now immediately, no-1-can-stop-me mentality, no compromise but along tis way I might create some inconvenience or unhappiness for others which Buddhist r not 'encourage'.

brother always1600 i have a reason to debate on this ..buddha he himself also abandoned his wife and kids and spent the rest of his life sitting under a tree ..i believe back then he did cause his wife and children unhappiness by doin that and i also believe that no-one can stop his mentality , no ? :wink: .

Last edited:

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

There are many forms of financial contract, not just financial guaranttee. When in marriage, it also means sharing resources not only by husband and wife but between 2 families. This makes it a financial agreement.

Seriously if I have millions in my account, there will be higher chance that I am getting a divorce.

Go through the story of Buddha and you will know why he decided to leave. He was thorn by the choice between staying and leaving and eventually decided to leave because to him, it will benefit more to his wife and son if he can bring back to them the cure of sufferings, which he did upon enlightenment.

You never said it and your arguement is base on Christian concept of marriage. Marriage is a delusion only when it is base only on love.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are many forms of financial contract, not just financial guaranttee. When in marriage, it also means sharing resources not only by husband and wife but between 2 families. This makes it a financial agreement.

Do you mean there are no divorces with the main cause being financial problems?

Go through the story of Buddha and you will know why he decided to leave. He was thorn by the choice between staying and leaving and eventually decided to leave because to him, it will benefit more to his wife and son if he can bring back to them the cure of sufferings, which he did upon enlightenment.

That's an interesting twist to the story, but I am not buying it. Seeking enlightenment for the sake of his wife and son? ... LOL! He might as well stay at home and be a good father and husband.

Marriage is a delusion only when it is base only on love.

And so marriage is not a delusion when it is based on both love and money?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow! Now you are trying to put words into my mouth, had I ever assume my financial status will not deteriote? This indicates that you are out of ammunition and trying to pul a fast one with repeated material for arguement.

Seriously, impermanance is the only thing you ever see, then you should not be here at all, just wait your time out at home.

Your arguement has nothing to do with impermanance, it has everything to do with your own experience with marriage when you only see failed marriage in your life. you have a psychological issue. I can also pity that you are angry with your parents for popping you into this world and then split up. No matter how you want to deny this, the separation must have hurt a lot until you can't even commit to a relationship.

He did not see impermanance of life, he saw sufferrings and want to find out the source of sufferings. He chose to leave because he did not want his spouse and son to face this sufferings, period. Impermanance is one of the conclusion he derived when he attained enlightenment.

And I am saying that you are referring marriage base on western concept (monogamy) and only considered marriage base on love which no one dispute that it is doomed to fail bacause it is a delusion.