• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cigarette tax is like setting up more ERPs

meepokboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
To deter the people from driving cars (or less during peak hours), they set up more ERPs to act as a deterrent. Using the same concept, they are raising excise duty in all tobacco products to serve as a similar deterrent.

But at the end of the day, most people are still driving cars claiming it's necessary, disregarding the costs. To smokers, such costs would probably be disregarded or accepted in the long term, since such a habit is hard to quit.

But is raising the costs the only solution?

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
if we can ban chewing gum, why not ban cigarettes.

I am a smoker, and I dare the govt to ban cigarettes.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You go research how much taxes they collect from tobacco & liquor?. Chewing gum is a confectionery, they can't make much money & ban it, they don't miss the revenues from that.

TOBACCO & ALCOHOL ARE DRUGS...they make money & spawn a very lucrative illegal market. You think, they are so 'angelic' trying hard to get people to stop smoking & publishing all those 'education' on the diseases etc..on smoking & drinking. Smoking...tell them to completely ban.....how much money will it cost them?

Might as well include ban liquor...ban all NTUC fairprice supermarket outlets from selling bets!...YOU THINK, THEY WILL KILL THE GOOSE THAT LAY NOT ONLY GOLDEN EGGS...BUT PLATINUM ONES!

THEY DARE?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chewing gum was singularly banned by LKY when he discovered them on the floors of his brand MRT station in the 1980s.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cigarette tax is the easiest tax to impose.

The govt can hide behind the pretence of these:
- smoking is bad for health
- smoking is a nice to have, not a daily necessity

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The cigarette tax is the easiest tax to impose.

The govt can hide behind the pretence of these:
- smoking is bad for health
- smoking is a nice to have, not a daily necessity

That is what I am saying....I am not a smoker, the Singapore PAP government is the only government on this earth making money out of people's miseries...like the charade behind the tobacco taxes, GST on medicines & all things medicals. For all these are multi-billion dollars market...GST alone is minting money daily...for every seconds, someone light up a smoke, every seconds, someone is not well needs to buy medicine or get sick goes to doctor & better still gets warded into the hospital..that is where the money flows in like water...on your miseries!

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is what I am saying....I am not a smoker, the Singapore PAP government is the only government on this earth making money out of people's miseries...like the charade behind the tobacco taxes, GST on medicines & all things medicals. For all these are multi-billion dollars market...GST alone is minting money daily...for every seconds, someone light up a smoke, every seconds, someone is not well needs to buy medicine or get sick goes to doctor & better still gets warded into the hospital..that is where the money flows in like water...on your miseries!
Happy to know that you are not a smoker. Smoker stinks and has erectile problem.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should they Ban cigarettes? because it give smoker Lung cancer Hospital make more money from Chemo!! They see good money from Smoker.. Chewing Gum no benefit to Gahmen that's why Ban and chew gum cheap stuff how to tax?? In fact Gahmen should increase More tax on cigarettes like 40% taxes!!! Than can forgo GST 2% increase!!

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It has nothing to do with cars, traffic jams, cigarettes or health and all to do with revenue!
PAY And PAY

greeny2k8

Alfrescian
Loyal

The tobacco tax is a cash cow for them. I don't think the govt will put a ban on this. As a smoker myself, just try to smoke less or find a cheaper alternative,

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should they Ban cigarettes? because it give smoker Lung cancer Hospital make more money from Chemo!! They see good money from Smoker.. Chewing Gum no benefit to Gahmen that's why Ban and chew gum cheap stuff how to tax?? In fact Gahmen should increase More tax on cigarettes like 40% taxes!!! Than can forgo GST 2% increase!!

Chewing Gum is a menance.
after consuming, the gum is being stuck on the floor. Government has to spend so much time clearing what is left. So much money is being paid to remove what is being stuck on the floor.

Government can't tax the bugger with a good enough reason and it is costing so much money just to clear up the after math. Might as well ban it and leave the money for further good use.