• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chow-kah Oei Hong Leong sues Goldman Sach

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smelly leg tycoon sues Goldman Sachs over $38m loss

chow_0.jpg

The Straits Times

Monday, Sep 23, 2013

Tycoon Oei Hong Leong has claimed that banking giant Goldman Sachs International misled him into making currency trades that ended up costing him more than 3 billion yen (S$38 million) when the market tanked earlier this year.

Mr Oei's lawsuit concerns bets made on the Japanese yen. This is one of the first cases of rich investors suing private bankers after losing money in this year's turbulent market, but mirrors many similar suits taken out after the 2008 and 2009 financial crisis.

In the writ of summons filed with Singapore's High Court on Friday, Mr Oei said he bet on May 15 that the yen would fall against the Brazilian real.

On May 22, United States Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke raised the possibility that the central bank's money-printing programme would be scaled back, sending global stock markets into a tailspin.

Emerging market currencies like the real slumped while safe haven ones such as the yen strengthened.

Rather than falling as Mr Oei had anticipated, the yen rose against the real. By June 13, Mr Oei had made six margin calls on his trades - essentially topping up his account so his leveraged position could remain open.

On June 17, Mr Oei closed the trades, suffering a loss of 4.231 billion yen. However, he received 1.055 billion yen as premiums on the trades which was deducted against his losses. That left him in the red by 3.175 billion yen - the sum he is claiming.

Mr Oei's court document said he had relied on claims by Goldman Sachs senior director Mats Dewitte when they met in Singapore before he started trading - statements which later turned out to be false, he said.

According to Mr Oei, Mr Dewitte had said that the real was anchored to the US dollar in the same way that the Hong Kong dollar is pegged to the greenback.

Mr Oei was also supposedly told that real-yen trades were liquid and could be executed any time, and that they behaved very similarly to US dollar-yen trades. But the statements were false, Mr Oei said; the real was not anchored to the US dollar, and the real was much less liquid than the greenback. This meant that the real-yen trades were more difficult and costly to unwind compared to US dollar-yen trades.

Mr Dewitte either ought to have known that his statements were false, or he was "reckless" in making those statements, said Mr Oei. This was "done with the intention and purpose of inducing Mr Oei to trade in leveraged foreign exchange trading", the court document added.

Mr Oei also alleges that Goldman Sachs contravened part of the Securities and Futures Act. A Goldman Sachs spokesman said: "We believe the lawsuit is without merit and we intend to vigorously contest it."

In 2009, Mr Oei sued Citigroup's private banking arm for alleged negligence and misrepresentation after an estimated loss of $1 billion on foreign exchange and US Treasury bond transactions in 2008. The case was settled out of court.

[email protected]

This chow-kah chee bye bin in 2008 punted AIG and made US$5m over two days. He donated his winning to LKY School of Policy and over the one week he made a big din in the 156th and CNA.

Six months later when he lost $1b to City Private Bank in his accumulator trade, he also resorted to sue them.

B Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
What was this old guy thinking? He already made his stash of money by using his own wits..

Now he trusts "wealth managers" to advise him how to make money? He must be getting old.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
WTF! Mr Oei doesn't even know how currencies work! He doesn't even know which currencies are dollar-pegged and which are not, and which are liquid or illiquid!

He deserved to lose all the money.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
What was this old guy thinking? He already made his stash of money by using his own wits..

Now he trusts "wealth managers" to advise him how to make money? He must be getting old.
When he makes money, it is purely his own genius. When he loses money it is because of others. Head I win, tail you lose.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See the guy's track record and his family background.
Entire family of crooks....some relations of his were responsible for the annual haze as well.
Too bad hk kidnappers did not bump him off when he was targeted then.
These are the type of rich FTs that your 60.1% import

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he expected to settle out of court again but this time Goldman Sachs says- come sachs my dick

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is his 2nd time already what......................

1st time he sue Citibank also becoz of currency losses..................

looks like really senile liao................falling to the same bank tricks twice.................

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See the guy's track record and his family background.
Entire family of crooks....some relations of his were responsible for the annual haze as well.
Too bad hk kidnappers did not bump him off when he was targeted then.
These are the type of rich FTs that your 60.1% import

When this no class smelly bastard's 80 year old father split up with his beautiful 38 year old Indonesian mistress, he sued her for the return of the 2800 sq ft Scots Tower apartment.

His suit was thrown out and he became a laughing stock among the rich in S'pore!

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Smelly leg tycoon sues Goldman Sachs over $38m loss

chow_0.jpg

The Straits Times

Monday, Sep 23, 2013

Tycoon Oei Hong Leong has claimed that banking giant Goldman Sachs International misled him into making currency trades that ended up costing him more than 3 billion yen (S$38 million) when the market tanked earlier this year.

Mr Oei's lawsuit concerns bets made on the Japanese yen. This is one of the first cases of rich investors suing private bankers after losing money in this year's turbulent market, but mirrors many similar suits taken out after the 2008 and 2009 financial crisis.

In the writ of summons filed with Singapore's High Court on Friday, Mr Oei said he bet on May 15 that the yen would fall against the Brazilian real.

On May 22, United States Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke raised the possibility that the central bank's money-printing programme would be scaled back, sending global stock markets into a tailspin.

Emerging market currencies like the real slumped while safe haven ones such as the yen strengthened.

Rather than falling as Mr Oei had anticipated, the yen rose against the real. By June 13, Mr Oei had made six margin calls on his trades - essentially topping up his account so his leveraged position could remain open.

On June 17, Mr Oei closed the trades, suffering a loss of 4.231 billion yen. However, he received 1.055 billion yen as premiums on the trades which was deducted against his losses. That left him in the red by 3.175 billion yen - the sum he is claiming.

Mr Oei's court document said he had relied on claims by Goldman Sachs senior director Mats Dewitte when they met in Singapore before he started trading - statements which later turned out to be false, he said.

According to Mr Oei, Mr Dewitte had said that the real was anchored to the US dollar in the same way that the Hong Kong dollar is pegged to the greenback.

Mr Oei was also supposedly told that real-yen trades were liquid and could be executed any time, and that they behaved very similarly to US dollar-yen trades. But the statements were false, Mr Oei said; the real was not anchored to the US dollar, and the real was much less liquid than the greenback. This meant that the real-yen trades were more difficult and costly to unwind compared to US dollar-yen trades.

Mr Dewitte either ought to have known that his statements were false, or he was "reckless" in making those statements, said Mr Oei. This was "done with the intention and purpose of inducing Mr Oei to trade in leveraged foreign exchange trading", the court document added.

Mr Oei also alleges that Goldman Sachs contravened part of the Securities and Futures Act. A Goldman Sachs spokesman said: "We believe the lawsuit is without merit and we intend to vigorously contest it."

In 2009, Mr Oei sued Citigroup's private banking arm for alleged negligence and misrepresentation after an estimated loss of $1 billion on foreign exchange and US Treasury bond transactions in 2008. The case was settled out of court.

[email protected]

This chow-kah chee bye bin in 2008 punted AIG and made US$5m over two days. He donated his winning to LKY School of Policy and over the one week he made a big din in the 156th and CNA.

Six months later when he lost $1b to City Private Bank in his accumulator trade, he also resorted to sue them.

In the late 80's he as the CEO of UIC used up 300 plus million of UIC's rights issue money to speculate in the Japanese stock market and lost it all.

I know of cases where the offenders of lesser offence were put away, but this smelly bastard's company chairman was none other than Dennis Lee, and he was merely asked to sell UIC to Liem Sioe Liong and exile himself to HK.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got conned by local banks - 2 of them n my cases solid but they deny liability,,,, I thot of fighting but cannot afford the costs and chance of losing in our kangeroo courts...... so squeeze my balls
I am behind Oei who has means to take on the giants.
Who says giants are honest?

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I got conned by local banks - 2 of them n my cases solid but they deny liability,,,, I thot of fighting but cannot afford the costs and chance of losing in our kangeroo courts...... so squeeze my balls
I am behind Oei who has means to take on the giants.
Who says giants are honest?

Among the big boys, this smelly no-class bastard's name stinks in the market!

He's under the illusion that he's invincible with his connection with the dying old fart.

crossroads

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Next time if anyone can get wind of what position this crook takes in the market then just take the other position then sure to make since this crook always lose.