• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China's depressed 'losers' left on the sidelines of nation's economic boom

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here's the full version for those who can't afford to subscribe to the 154th.

BEIJING (AFP) - No girlfriend, no savings, and a poorly-paid job: Mr Zhao Jun is typical of the diaosi, or "losers" who have been left on the sidelines of China's decades-long economic boom.

According to a survey by Peking University and a Chinese social networking site, 72.3 per cent of the diaosi are dissatisfied with their lot. There are no official figures for this marginalised group, but the term could apply to tens of millions of Chinese.

Originally from Jiangsu in eastern China, Mr Zhao, 30, has a degree from Harbin University of Science and Technology but earns only 3,000 yuan (S$647) a month working for a design company. Eight years after he moved to the capital, he told AFP: "I live in a basement apartment in western Beijing, and pay rent of 500 yuan a month. I haven't saved anything since everything is so expensive here."

According to the survey, carried out in September, the typical diaosi - who can be male or female - spends less than 39 yuan on their three daily meals, uses a cheap Chinese smartphone, and is single, with 37.8 per cent feeling depressed.

Of those with jobs - 68.6 per cent work overtime every day. Many seek refuge in sleep or alcohol, for many leisure time is typically spent playing video games online, while swigging cheap beer and chain-smoking cigarettes.

Beijing-based Sinologist Renaud de Spens has given the word diaosi a prominent slot in the 2015 edition of his "Cheeky China Dictionary".

The literal translation means "penis hair" (male pubic hair), but as a slang term, Mr de Spens wrote, "it refers to the failures, those who are both ugly and poor, those who are unmarriageable".

One Beijing diaosi nicknamed A Qi shares a room in a 1950s red brick building, of a type built to accommodate an influx of migrants from the countryside, and now often so decayed they are being demolished for redevelopment.

"Diaosi means we have no money," said A Qi, who recently quit his job at a publishing company.

"I felt depressed when I walked into the office every day and told myself I couldn't continue."

He tried to start an online business on Taobao, the Chinese equivalent of eBay, but failed again. Now disillusioned, he wants to leave the capital.

A banner in the entrance of his building reads: "Follow the Party, realise the Chinese Dream" - a propaganda phrase popularised by President Xi Jinping.

In a country where the definition of success is a career, home ownership and marriage, the term diaosi was first coined pejoratively on the Internet.

It has online opposites that represent all it is to be at the top of the Chinese social pyramid: Men should be gaofushuai - tall, beautiful and rich, while women should be baifumei - rich, beautiful and fair skinned.

But the diaosi are now seeking to reappropriate the word, in the same way that ethnic or sexual minorities in the West have taken possession of former insults.

The term has become a rallying point for some, symbolising their rejection of the frenzied consumerism of China's economic boom, which they can only watch from the sidelines.

"The large number of Chinese who define themselves around this concept shows how self-deprecation and a counter-culture are developing," Mr de Spens told AFP.

"The (diaosi) affirms his pride in being neither a senior official nor a rich kid - in the Chinese imagination, officials and rich kids don't do a damn thing.

"As such, he retains a moral integrity in the face of a society that seems to him to be plunging into an abyss of materialism."

Now, though, there is a backlash to the backlash.

In a microblog post that was forwarded tens of thousands of times, film director Feng Xiaogang decried as "brainless" those who call themselves diaosi.

Even the official Communist Party mouthpiece the People's Daily weighed in last month.

The tendency to "self-denigrate", the paper warned, should "be denounced and abandoned, because it can cause serious harm to the spirit of youth".
- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/as...s-economic-boom-20150108#sthash.PR7OfBlJ.dpuf

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Most Chinese are losers anyway so I'm not surprised that the numbers are swelling.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there were many diaosi during the harsh old days of railway building in california. they ended up unmarried, abandoned, destitute, and fishing in the bay to feed themselves. their genetic footprint ended where they died in their fishing ghettos.

image.jpg

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
there were many diaosi during the harsh old days of railway building in california. they ended up unmarried, abandoned, destitute, and fishing in the bay to feed themselves. their genetic footprint ended where they died in their fishing ghettos.

Some of them ended up in NZ hoping to make their fortunes at the gold mines. They were so desperate for a fuck that they actually paid the Maori chiefs to copulate with their butt ugly Maori women.

woman-maori-tattoo-5.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some of them ended up in NZ hoping to make their fortunes at the gold mines. They were so desperate for a fuck that they actually paid the Maori chiefs to copulate with thei butt ugly Maori women.

there were a few exceptions among the diaosi during the gold rush and railway construction era. the lucky ones got to bed the ugliest, old, out-of-shape, unwanted, and abandoned prostitutes who needed some wok hei food.

image.jpg

the desperate with some cash jumped into bed with tranny prostitutes still sporting mustaches.

image.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
屌絲 Diaoshi - The Marginalized Group in China, interesting read

An interesting read to the group of marginalized group who see themselves as failures. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2015/01/09/2003608837

‘Diaosi’ swept aside by China’s economic boom

AFP Beijing, Taipei Times Friday Jan 09, 2015 - Page 5

No girlfriend, no savings and a poorly-paid job: Zhao Jun is typical of the diaosi (屌絲), or “losers,” who have been left on the sidelines of China’s decades-long economic boom.

According to a survey by Peking University and a Chinese social networking site, 72.3 percent of diaosi are dissatisfied with their lot.

There are no official figures for this marginalized group, but the term could apply to tens of millions of Chinese.

Originally from Jiangsu Province in eastern China, Zhao, 30, has a degree from Harbin University of Science and Technology, but only earns 3,000 yuan (US$500) a month working for a design company.

Eight years after moving to the capital, “I live in a basement apartment in western Beijing and pay rent of 500 yuan a month. I haven’t saved anything since everything is so expensive here,” he said.

According to the survey carried out in September last year, the typical diaosi — who can be male or female — spends less than 39 yuan on their three daily meals, uses a cheap Chinese smartphone and is single, with 37.8 percent reporting feeling depressed.

Of those with jobs, 68.6 percent work overtime every day. Many seek refuge in sleep or alcohol and leisure time is typically spent playing video games online while swigging cheap beer and chainsmoking cigarettes that cost US$1 a pack.

Beijing-based Sinologist Renaud de Spens has given the word diaosi a prominent slot in this year’s edition of his Cheeky China Dictionary.

The literal translation of the word is “penis hair” (male pubic hair), but as a slang term “it refers to the failures, those who are both ugly and poor, those who are unmarriageable,” De Spens wrote.

One Beijing diaosi nicknamed “A Qi” shares a room in a 1950s red brick building, the type built to accommodate an influx of migrants from the countryside and now often so decayed they are being demolished for redevelopment.

“Diaosi means we have no money,” said A Qi, who recently quit his job at a publishing company. “I felt depressed when I walked into the office every day and told myself I couldn’t continue.”

He tried to start an online business on Taobao — the Chinese equivalent of eBay — but failed again. Now, disillusioned, he wants to leave the capital.

A banner in the entrance of his building reads: “Follow the Party, realize the Chinese Dream,” a propaganda phrase popularized by Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) referring to the Chinese Communist Party.

In a country where the definition of success is a career, home ownership and marriage, the term diaosi was first coined pejoratively on the Internet.

It has online opposites that represent all it is to be at the top of the Chinese social pyramid: Men should be gaofushuai (高富帥) — tall, beautiful and rich — while women should be baifumei (白富美): rich, beautiful and fair-skinned.

Yet the diaosi are now seeking to reappropriate the word, in the same way that ethnic or sexual minorities in the West have taken possession of former insults.

The term has become a rallying point for some, symbolizing their rejection of the frenzied consumerism of China’s economic boom, which they can only watch from the sidelines.

“The large number of Chinese who define themselves around this concept shows how self-deprecation and a counterculture are developing,” De Spens said.

“The [diaosi] affirms his pride in being neither a senior official nor a rich kid — in the Chinese imagination, officials and rich kids don’t do a damn thing,” he added. “As such, he retains a moral integrity in the face of a society that seems to him to be plunging into an abyss of materialism.”

Now, though, there is a backlash to the backlash.

In a microblog post that was forwarded tens of thousands of times, film director Feng Xiaogang (馮小剛) decried as “brainless” those who call themselves diaosi.

Even party mouthpiece the People’s Daily weighed in last month. The tendency to “self-denigrate” should “be denounced and abandoned, because it can cause serious harm to the spirit of youth,” the newspaper warned.

jw5

Loyal
Re: 屌絲 Diaoshi - The Marginalized Group in China, interesting read

Who in this forum considers himself 高富帥?

Come on, admit it! :biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Hi there froggy the mod please merge this thread with the one on the same article published yesterday. :smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Merged. Travelling so miss reading many threads.

I'll be traveling next week too. Looking forward to my trip to Bangkok. Hope to find some great food while I'm there.