• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Childcare Education for Singaporeans' kids...

Candylicious

Re: Don't mind can share whether or not to let our kids study in Malaysia ?

Primary 1 & 2 is afternoon session so not much issue, price about rm300 to rm350 depending woodlands or sembawang schools.

Hi Arowana,

Dun mind sharing wth me which area of jb is ur location?I was quoted Rm 500 for Horizon Hills area..

Tq n much appreciated:wink:

Candylicious

Hi Arowana,

Dun mind sharing ur pickup location in Jb?I was quoted Rm 500 for pickup frm Horizon Hills.

Tq n much appreciated:wink:

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal

hi bro. for their public education, it is free for all Msians. Despite this, many msian parents still send their kids to SG to study with most crossing the link everyday,...some even waking up at 4am for the morning classes. So much time and effort to ensure they get a good headstart. That alone says a lot about their own assessment of the Msian education system.

Would have to explore international schools if you dont want your kids to travel to and fro the checkpoints everyday. Hopefully with more such schools in the pipeline, fees can be made more affordable.

cheers.
Do we really have a good head start ?

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal

The JB education scene. Schools like the Austin Heights as well as Seri Omega international schools (discounting the super lux Marlborough) are offering competitive courses with students reading GCE 'O' levels at the end which is standardized syllabus with the same exams. These schools usually have a primary counterpart although not offering PSLE (since it is exclusively SG MOE) offer comparable programs to prepare students for secondary education. I think it is about RM5k/half a year - check their websites.

One disadvantage for the secondary programs is that they are typically run for 5yrs. The JBian solution. Send kids to local chinese schools/primary international schools (P1-6) and jump to SG for secondary (S1-4). Retrieve them for pre U colleges (Sunway/INTI/Taylors etc in JB/KL) To either do a 1 yr Australian Matriculation or 1.5 yr GCE 'A' levels before shipping them off to Ozzieland/UK/US or continue with Malaysian twinning programs esp. now that educity is slowly materializing. Some friends I know graduated with a full degree at 19 especially when they cram summer courses etc going into the ivys even. This is the most direct way provided this is what the kids want.

Overall these schools offer a fairly standard level of education which are in no way inferior especially taking into the fact that there are a number of malaysian SG MOE teachers who eventually feed into these schools as they accumulate experience, retire or continue to pursue a more holistic academic career. However, the main shortfall is a results driven environment. CCAs and creativity etc are not something most schools are concerned with to create that extra dimension of psychological/soft skill development.

In SG there are more and more choices these days with integrated programs offering IBs, specialized schools (Sports school/Arts school/Science & Tech school/Maths and science school) not to mention polytechnics which have no equivalents or equivalents of same std in JB at this moment.

Conclusion: if you want fairly std schooling JB has something to offer don't be too quick to gloss over. But if your kid prefers something more tailored, specialized/unique then SG is the way to go. My 2 cents having partaken education on both sides as well as conversations with fellow colleagues, friends etc. Hope the information is useful.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal

To all members here-- Don't mind if I ask where did your kids go to school? Which school and which area?

I dun have any idea where my kids can study in JB? I can't afford for international school in JB, cos its very ex.

If u guys can give me some idea maybe I will follow suit. Thks

Thousands of Malaysians come to Singapore schools everyday. Some cross the causeway daily and some stay in Singapore. Why? Singapore schools are of good quality right? Why do you want to make your Singaporean child suffer and deny him of his birthright, a Singapore education?

angelgemini

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is my own opinion as a Malaysian chinese. Sorry for my bad English.

For Singaporean, they should travel back and study in Singapore or international school in Malaysia.

For Malaysian, is still prefer my kid (if i have in future) to study in Malaysia.
My point is as below:-
1. As a Malaysian, they should learn and know Bahasa Malaysia. (Without knowing Bahasa Malaysia, Will be a lot of trouble when staying in Malaysia). Knowing extra language will give them a better chance in future. Every people saying Bahasa Malaysia is useless but who know in future, it may become 1 of the important language. Population in SEA is Majority speak Bahasa (Indo, malaysia and brunie).

2. About culture. About the culture that will influence them when they are learning and growth up. (i'm not about offense any Singaporean, but i really do not want my children will have those culture of Kiasu, Kiasi and over self confident.

3. Everyone think that Singapore education is the best in the world, but for me nothing is the best in the world. Everything have advantages and disadvantages. You may score flying color in the exam but just on paper only. It do not mean really success in the life. Singapore education is on concentrate on result more than what they have learn.

For me, i will send my children to Malaysia gov education (primary will be at Chinese school and secondary will be at national school). While University will be at UK to learn how to independent. Life in not about education or result only, but is about how to survive in the more challenging life in future.

Primary chinese school - So they can learn chinese (will send them to english tuition).
Secondary national school - So they can learn Malay and also able to develop the skill to mix with other race.
University at UK - So they able to be more independent.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is my own opinion as a Malaysian chinese. Sorry for my bad English.

For Singaporean, they should travel back and study in Singapore or international school in Malaysia.

For Malaysian, is still prefer my kid (if i have in future) to study in Malaysia.
My point is as below:-
1. As a Malaysian, they should learn and know Bahasa Malaysia. (Without knowing Bahasa Malaysia, Will be a lot of trouble when staying in Malaysia). Knowing extra language will give them a better chance in future. Every people saying Bahasa Malaysia is useless but who know in future, it may become 1 of the important language. Population in SEA is Majority speak Bahasa (Indo, malaysia and brunie).

2. About culture. About the culture that will influence them when they are learning and growth up. (i'm not about offense any Singaporean, but i really do not want my children will have those culture of Kiasu, Kiasi and over self confident.

3. Everyone think that Singapore education is the best in the world, but for me nothing is the best in the world. Everything have advantages and disadvantages. You may score flying color in the exam but just on paper only. It do not mean really success in the life. Singapore education is on concentrate on result more than what they have learn.

For me, i will send my children to Malaysia gov education (primary will be at Chinese school and secondary will be at national school). While University will be at UK to learn how to independent. Life in not about education or result only, but is about how to survive in the more challenging life in future.

Primary chinese school - So they can learn chinese (will send them to english tuition).
Secondary national school - So they can learn Malay and also able to develop the skill to mix with other race.
University at UK - So they able to be more independent.

I would second what you have echoed despite being a true-blue Singaporean.

The Singapore education is good in getting the children academically geared but falls behind in the definition of total education. We care less about moral and appreciation of arts and culture. And possibly in the area of physical and outdoor activities too - explaining why we have such a high incidence of myopia among the population.

If we look at the new role of education these days, it is more than just Algebra, Grammar, Trigonometry, Physics or Chemistry. While these are important foundations, the need for life-skills is just as critical. We may not use a protractor or test-tube in our day-to-day work but the need for relationship skills and financial literacy are important ones to acquire.

Take a look at Forbes' article "The 10 Steps to make your kid a millionaire" makes interesting reading.

Therefore, it is not surprising to see that many Malaysians have also gone down that route and get their children to boarding schools in UK. Learning about independence should be focused on too.

Despite the grinding of an intensive and stressful education process, the final product comes up weaker as compared to the Foreign Talents or at least in the eyes of the ruling Government.

angelgemini

Alfrescian
Loyal

I would second what you have echoed despite being a true-blue Singaporean.

The Singapore education is good in getting the children academically geared but falls behind in the definition of total education. We care less about moral and appreciation of arts and culture. And possibly in the area of physical and outdoor activities too - explaining why we have such a high incidence of myopia among the population.

If we look at the new role of education these days, it is more than just Algebra, Grammar, Trigonometry, Physics or Chemistry. While these are important foundations, the need for life-skills is just as critical. We may not use a protractor or test-tube in our day-to-day work but the need for relationship skills and financial literacy are important ones to acquire.

Take a look at Forbes' article "The 10 Steps to make your kid a millionaire" makes interesting reading.

Therefore, it is not surprising to see that many Malaysians have also gone down that route and get their children to boarding schools in UK. Learning about independence should be focused on too.

Despite the grinding of an intensive and stressful education process, the final product comes up weaker as compared to the Foreign Talents or at least in the eyes of the ruling Government.

I agree with you,

Do you all know that many people around the world admire Malaysian Chinese? Because Malaysian chinese able to speak multi language, able to adapt and work anywhere in the world. Able to mix with different kind of people and culture. growth up in a Multi culture environment.

For me, i really disagree about parent who teach they children to stay away from other race (special chinese parent will wish that their children stay awhile from Malay children) Example, my mum is 1 of them.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree with you,

Do you all know that many people around the world admire Malaysian Chinese? Because Malaysian chinese able to speak multi language, able to adapt and work anywhere in the world. Able to mix with different kind of people and culture. growth up in a Multi culture environment.

For me, i really disagree about parent who teach they children to stay away from other race (special chinese parent will wish that their children stay awhile from Malay children) Example, my mum is 1 of them.

Malaysian Chinese are in a sweet-spot as they are grounded well. Take the case of some of the nearby developing economies like Cambodia and Vietnam. It is well known that Malaysian Chinese took pains to venture there ahead of many because they find that they can stomach and manage the risks accordingly. The cultural and racial sensitivity are there.

Conversely, I am aware of the growing xenophobia in Singapore. Despite the cosmopolitan nature that is long associated with the island, it has been shown that we are increasingly less tolerant of foreigners and this should be a worry. On the surface, everything is looking good but admittedly, the faultlines are showing.

Many would point to the political upheavals in Malaysia with the challenges of Anwar and Bersih as being destabilising for the country. On the contrary, I think Malaysians should take pride of the fact that nationhood is being strengthened. And the social fabric being tested and enhanced. I look at the various demonstrations on Bersih and Lynas have made the country closer. Malays, Chinese and Indians stand together as one with a common vision and belief.

Seemingly, the political space permits and encourage such spirit to be forged. And it is only more activities of this form, would the country get closer and also force the political and social improvement it seeks.

angelgemini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malaysian Chinese are in a sweet-spot as they are grounded well. Take the case of some of the nearby developing economies like Cambodia and Vietnam. It is well known that Malaysian Chinese took pains to venture there ahead of many because they find that they can stomach and manage the risks accordingly. The cultural and racial sensitivity are there.

Conversely, I am aware of the growing xenophobia in Singapore. Despite the cosmopolitan nature that is long associated with the island, it has been shown that we are increasingly less tolerant of foreigners and this should be a worry. On the surface, everything is looking good but admittedly, the faultlines are showing.

Many would point to the political upheavals in Malaysia with the challenges of Anwar and Bersih as being destabilising for the country. On the contrary, I think Malaysians should take pride of the fact that nationhood is being strengthened. And the social fabric being tested and enhanced. I look at the various demonstrations on Bersih and Lynas have made the country closer. Malays, Chinese and Indians stand together as one with a common vision and belief.

Seemingly, the political space permits and encourage such spirit to be forged. And it is only more activities of this form, would the country get closer and also force the political and social improvement it seeks.

Yeah,
I really surprise the rally able to make Malays, Chinese and Indians stand together while the Gov is keep separate them.
United is power and this is what the Gov scare of.

Ok, i think we go too deep into politic while this is "Don't mind can share whether or not to let our kids study in Malaysia ?"

For me, Singaporean should study in International school in Malaysia or back to Singapore study. Not worth to gamble this as it may cause the children to blame their parent for life.

While, Malaysian should send their children study in Malaysia Gov school. To all chinese parent, Bahasa Malaysia is not useless. It is useful. Do not be so kiasu and kiasi, paper result is mean nothing to a a person life. Life experience and knowledge is more more important of how a person able to success. You also study in those education and do it build a worst person (are you a worst person?).

I admit Malaysian english is not so good and not well taught in the Gov school, but this can be solve by sending the children to special english classes.
I do see many Malaysian speak very well English as because their parent know how to train them.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't think 'xenophobia' is appropriate to be used on Singaporeans who have long been extremely welcoming to foreigners. For long time, we are used to seeing foreigners in school, at work and we always welcome them. Conversely, Singaporeans may not have the same welcome even merely as tourist or investors in some other country. The situation in SG now is due to too many foreigners taking away Singaporeans' jobs, school places etc, this is not xenophobia when rice bowls and other citizen benefits have been taken away.

Last edited:

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't think 'xenophobia' is appropriate to be used on Singaporeans who have long been extremely welcoming to foreigners. For long time, we are used to seeing foreigners in school, at work and we always welcome them. Conversely, Singaporeans may not have the same welcome even merely as tourist or investors in some other country. The situation in SG now is due to too many foreigners taking away Singaporeans' jobs, school places etc, this is not xenophobia when rice bowls and other citizen benefits have been taken away.

Very true. The floodgates were opened and the people, infrastructure and resources have problem copying with the influx now.

The negativity is the result of poor policy making.

In fact, what worries me more is hygiene because being such a densely populated place, the danger of viral transmission is very high.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very true. The floodgates were opened and the people, infrastructure and resources have problem copying with the influx now.

The negativity is the result of poor policy making.

In fact, what worries me more is hygiene because being such a densely populated place, the danger of viral transmission is very high.

Yeah the negativity is due to the poor policy making but all this talk about Xenophobia is pushing the blame to the citizens instead.

Hygiene is really on the decline, I ever saw a PRC foodcourt worker coming out from toilet and walked back to the stall without washing her hands.

Basically it is very sad, took SG so many years for living standard to go up but all destroyed within a few years.

Arowana88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last edited:

BlackCaviar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi all,

We are new in nusajaya and looking for reliable childcare/playschool for our baby around horizon hills, nusa idaman and bukit indah area. Any recommendations? Cheers.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal

School means daily trips to JB for S'pore teen

Muhd Zaid has good reason to not like his morning commute. -TNP
Zul Othman

Tue, Jul 31, 2012
The New Paper

PLUCKY: Muhd Zaid Mohamad Nasser with his schoolmates at Sri Ara International School.
Like any 14-year-old, Singaporean Muhd Zaid Mohamad Nasser dreads waking up to go to school.

Except in his case, Muhd Zaid has good reason to not like his morning commute - he attends the Sri Ara International School, a private education institution in Johor Baru.

The former Woodgrove Secondary student tells The New Paper on Sunday that he had to make a few adjustments when he transferred to the O-level programme there.

Every day, he wakes up at 5am. With passport in hand, the teenager leaves his family's five-room flat in Woodlands for the Causeway at around 6am.

On a good day, he reaches Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex in Johor Baru in about an hour.

From there, a school bus ferries him to Sri Ara, which is 5km from the Causeway.

"I leave early only because traffic can be a little unpredictable and the hours are long. On a good day, I end at 3pm," says Muhd Zaid.

"But I am quite happy to travel because I enjoy my studies there," he adds.

For now, Muhd Zaid belongs to a rare breed.

More common are JB kids who travel to Singapore to attend school to get an English-language education or one of "higher standards".

Sri Ara's vice-principal, Mr Steve Cowan, confirms that Muhd Zaid is the school's only Singaporean student who commutes across the Causeway daily. The rest are Singaporean students whose families live in JB.

But this situation could change soon with the inflow of educational institutions across the Causeway, he adds.

Apart from the six international schools operating in JB, five tertiary institutions have been set up in the Nusajaya township, a 20-minute drive from the Second Link in Tuas.

Next month, ultra-elite British public school Marlborough College opens in JB.

"As more Singaporeans are buying up property in Johor Baru, we do see more of them sending their children to schools here because an international school education is cheaper than what it is in Singapore," the 54-year-old Briton tells TNPS.

Another school, Fairview International - in Bandar Dato' Onn, which is a 10-minute drive from the Causeway - is the only one in JB offering an International Baccalaureate programme.

Fairview chairman Daniel Chian, 60, expects the international school sectors in JB to grow.

"There is a limit to the number of students that Singapore international schools can admit, so Johor schools have become an alternative," he notes.

The key to the entire JB schooling plan is a 242ha site - dubbed Iskandar EduCity - a collection of brand-name colleges and research centres like Singapore private school Management Development Institute of Singapore, Britain's Newcastle University, Marlborough College, University of Southampton and the Netherlands Maritime Institute of Technology. Iskandar EduCity aims to house 16,000 students by 2015.

But the international schools here are unfazed by the competition.

When contacted, United World College of South East Asia's Ms Kate Woodford says it welcomes Marlborough College's new campus in Johor as it increases "the offerings and choices available to international families in the region and in Singapore".

She adds: "Any increase in supply through the opening of new institutions means additional choices for families (and) this provides more opportunities to better match the needs of individual students to the educational style and offerings of an institution, which is surely a key consideration for parents in selecting a school."

Agreeing, Dr Chin Kon Yuen, the chief executive officer and chairman of TMC Academy, says schools here will continue to attract applicants because "institutions here are well known for its structure, results and quality".

Parents, on the other hand, say the attraction of the schools in Johoris that they focus on a more holistic approach to education, which is less regimented than the curriculum offered in Singapore schools.

Muhd Zaid's father, Mr Mohamad Nasser Hassan, told TNPS that his son studied in an international school when he was working as a lecturer in 2010 at the Emirates International Maritime Academy in Dubai.

When the family returned last year, he decided that his son should continue learning in an international school "because it focused on a more holistic environment".

He says: "I feel that the character-building portions offered in Singapore schools are lacking because the focus is too much on academic excellence." While he admits that the RM21,000 (S$8,300) a year tuition at Sri Ara is not cheap, it is still at least 50 per cent cheaper than an international school education here.

"Another advantage is that at Sri Ara, my son gets to sit his (GCE O-level equivalent) International General Certificate of Secondary Education this year," adds the 48-year-old, who is a senior manager at a ship management company.

"If he were still in a Singaporean government school, he will do his O levels next year."

- Additional reporting by Esther Ng

This article was first published in The New Paper.

Source:
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Edvantage/Story/A1Story20120730-362338/2.html

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

strange , if from SG go to JB in the morning , its jam free leh .... why he needs so much time ??