• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chiam See Tong taking PP for granted?

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > ST Forum > Story
Don't take Potong Pasir for granted, SPP

THE reply by the Singapore People's Party (SPP) last Thursday ('SPP: Potong Pasir voters not short-changed') understates the sacrifices made by Potong Pasir residents in voting in an opposition Member of Parliament.

Remarks elsewhere by the party that Potong Pasir's veteran MP Chiam See Tong may relinquish his long-held seat in Potong Pasir to contest in a group representation constituency (GRC) is even more disheartening.

The ease with which the SPP appears to discard our loyalty fills me with sadness and anger.

We have supported Mr Chiam since 1984, believing Singaporeans need an opposition voice in Parliament.

The SPP is wrong to take a narrower view that Potong Pasir residents voted for Mr Chiam because Potong Pasir Town Council has done a wonderful job.

To be frank, Potong Pasir has aged more quickly since voting in an opposition MP and the constituency is in need of major upgrading.

The SPP should remember that, in the 2006 General Election, 55.82 per cent of Potong Pasir residents ignored a People's Action Party (PAP) carrot of an $80 million upgrading package and voted for Mr Chiam.

Can Potong Pasir Town Council offer the same package? If the SPP is not in a position to do so, how can the party conclude that Potong Pasir constituents have not been short-changed?

The SPP should not take the ardent support of some 50 per cent of Potong Pasir residents for granted.

There is no guarantee that voters will give the same level of support to a new SPP candidate.

For the same reasons, I hope the other opposition MP, Mr Low Thia Khiang, is not considering the same move as Mr Chiam, in abandoning Hougang constituents to try his luck in a GRC.

It is wrong to abandon supporters who chose to forgo the PAP's offer of attractive upgrading packages.

As party leaders, Mr Chiam and Mr Low should remain loyal to their residents in their single-seat constituencies and field better candidates to contest in GRCs.

Thomas Teo

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Chiam is more afraid that he will get another stroke during his next term. If that happends, Potong Pasir will go into a by-election.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam See Tong is not abandoning pp. Becos of his medical condition, he does not foresee his long term presence in pp. He is therefore making succession plans. Meanwhile, he tries his luck at grc and should luck be on his side he wld hv scored another goal fr his party. If not, it's time to retire anyway..

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam See Tong is not abandoning pp. Becos of his medical condition, he does not foresee his long term presence in pp. He is therefore making succession plans. Meanwhile, he tries his luck at grc and should luck be on his side he wld hv scored another goal fr his party. If not, it's time to retire anyway..

I agree with your view but anyway this thomas fellow letter seems rather detrimental to SPP and Chiam....this thomas expect Chiam to contest in PP til his grave? Its time for a successor to take over....

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

Totally agree...

I agree with your view but anyway this thomas fellow letter seems rather detrimental to SPP and Chiam....this thomas expect Chiam to contest in PP til his grave? Its time for a successor to take over....

This Thomas Teo is very short-sighted :biggrin:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will another five years of Chiam See Tong in power in Potong Pasir make a difference to the lives of Singaporeans?

How long has he been elected anyway?

Why will it make a difference to elect him again?

Given his demonstrated leadership over the years, what difference will it make to Singaporeans if he win both TP and PP?

Is your understanding based on hopes/theories or is it based on the evidence he demonstrated over these years.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the same reasons, I hope the other opposition MP, Mr Low Thia Khiang, is not considering the same move as Mr Chiam, in abandoning Hougang constituents to try his luck in a GRC.

My reading of Low Thia Khiang is different from Thomas Teo.

I feel he will not risk the chance of getting five more years of tenure.

Besides if the constituency reverts to the PAP, it is not impossible that the PAP will audit all the processes in Hougang Town Council and reveal any shortcoming to the public.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why does most of the opposition suffer from stroke or heart attacks ?

because they simply ignore it and unaware health and fitness is a total package to battle the evil pap. pap gang different, they got professional health expert to assist maintain their health, just see hairdo lim, he slimmer now, don't get it wrong because he is stress, he is force to down size as u can see his had a piece of "cancer face"

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another forum letter on CST.

This one i think is written by sharksfin Sitoh!

Home > ST Forum > Story
Chiam's GRC move good for the opposition

THOUGH not a resident of Potong Pasir, I disagree with yesterday's letter, 'Don't take Potong Pasir for granted, SPP', by Mr Thomas Teo.

Is it not something to celebrate when Mr Chiam is planning to move out of Potong Pasir and into a group representation constituency (GRC)?

This is much like a businessman who, after establishing his foothold locally, plans to expand his business overseas. However, this does not mean that he will neglect his roots.

Mr Teo should instead ask why a party could in the last election dangle a financial carrot in the form of $80 million, on the condition that the party should win the ward.

Thomas Lee

WayangPartyClub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam is old, and i do mean old, enough to make his own decision.

If he wants to risk it by going after GRC at least he last burst of fire!

Arseholes like Temasek Review are trying to dissuade him bec they have their asses of Chee #%$@#@

I_hv_adream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leave Chiam alone...btw do he have any kids??? I mean he can donminate his children instead of his wife as he wife is equally old as him. He has done a good job in the past and deserve a good rest. He should together with his wife go somewhere and enjoy themselves.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
to put it bluntly.

Chiam had enough already. He want to retire. might as well go out with a bang by contesting in a GRC. It doesn't mater to him if PP is lost when he left or he lost in a GRC at the next GE.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
to put it bluntly.

Chiam had enough already. He want to retire. might as well go out with a bang by contesting in a GRC. It doesn't mater to him if PP is lost when he left or he lost in a GRC at the next GE.

aiyoh yoh.... CST so doomed meh? No chance in Single or GRC?

Alfrescian
Loyal
to put it bluntly.

Chiam knows his ground better. Even without him in PP, this ward will always be an opposition. Maybe his time to retire. So go for a GRC, if he loses, a good way to retire, if he wins he sets the pace that the GRC can be defeated. I wish him luck.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leave Chiam alone...btw do he have any kids??? I mean he can donminate his children instead of his wife as he wife is equally old as him. He has done a good job in the past and deserve a good rest. He should together with his wife go somewhere and enjoy themselves.

Mr Chiam had one pretty daughter.. I think she is around 33 yrs old :biggrin: