• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chaos reigns at Detroit aid event

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chaos reigns at Detroit aid event

Thousands stand in line for help paying bills

BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA

Thousands of people swarmed Cobo Hall in chaos this morning trying to get applications for housing and utility payment assistance from the city of Detroit.

People fainted, others fought as the Detroit Police Gang Unit tried to keep people in line --- some since last night --- and in check.

“It’s a disaster here,” former assistant Detroit Police chief and city council candidate Gary Brown said, handing out water. “This is dangerous. Very unorganized, very dangerous.”

The City of Detroit Planning & Development Department was to pass out 5,000 applications to those standing in line. But a line of people snaking back and forth inside Cobo, down Washington Boulevard and around the corner to the circular parking deck far outnumbered the applications available.

The program is part of the city’s Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. By 11:30 a.m., the Detroit mayor’s office was asking people not to head to Cobo.

The assistance is paid from the city on the applicants’ behalf directly to agencies like the Coalition on Temporary Shelter, an agency that pays for transitional housing for the homeless.

Robyn Smith, community relations director for COTS, said the tremendous crush of people didn’t sadden her.

“I’m happy because there’s something available,” she said as she collected filled-out applications from a doorway guarded by a Detroit Police officer to keep people from slipping in.

The applicants needed to be homeless or at risk of homelessness, and the assistance is temporary. The applications are due today, handed in at Cobo by 2 p.m. or mailed with an Oct. 7 postmark. The city was directing people with additional questions to call 313-224-0316, but no one was answering before calls to that number were automatically disconnected just before noon today.

Racquel Sawyers, 35, a laid-off engineer who worked for both GM and Chrysler, turned around and went home after seeing the crowd at Cobo. She had left another application distribution site on Detroit’s northwest side on Tuesday after seeing the line – which turned out to be much smaller than the one at Cobo.

“Who would have known yesterday would be better?” Sawyers said. Currently on unemployment and looking for help with housing costs, she said she’ll stay in Detroit until she’s able to land a job – probably outside Michigan. “I’m just trying to do what I can right now.”

Inside Cobo, lines led up to the Riverview Ballroom, where Detroit Planning & Development employees were to hand out applications.

But hundreds of people were packed outside the ballroom. At about 10:30, a fight broke out, and many of the people bolted away, scared in the crush of people.

“It’s bad. It’s bad. It really is,” said Kelli Phillips, 42, of Detroit, handing her application in among the crowd. “All you have to do is look around and see it. That’s why a lot of people are moving. I love my city. I don’t want to move. But I don’t know. There’s got to be something better.”

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

How is Detroit even going to pay for that?

The city has shut down schools, laid off police and firefighters, and reduced the number of paramedics and ambulances on duty at any one time.

The buildings downtown are crumbling and abandoned, the houses are rotting and abandoned, and the streets have craters in them.

The city government is corrupt and cannot even function on it's own. Basic social services have been shut down and even scrapped.

Detroit cannot do anything right. The people of Detroit - in their typical ignorant fashion - voted 35 years ago for a mayor in favor of his race rather than in favor of who was most suited for the job and who would do the best for Detroit. That tradition has continued ever since, and so has Detroit's decline.

The people of that dump deserve every bit of what has happened to them. They had the power to change this and didn't.

As a famous quote once said, "people get the government they deserve." This cannot be any more true than in the case of Detroit.