• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Caution over China’s GDP Figures, 2010 is the Real Test

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Caution over China’s GDP Figures, 2010 is the Real Test
Commentary: China “Not Yet” Engine for World Growth
By Chris Devonshire-Ellis

June. 22 – Seeing the World Bank raise their expectations for China’s GDP growth for 2009 as a whole last week was encouraging news.

However, I personally am cautious about any perceived upturn in the overall bottom line as regards the strength of the Chinese economy.
I strongly suspect the 2009 figures to be skewed by the sheer volume of money injected by the central bank.

The underlying trend is still that of an economy massively dependent on exports, and the news I am getting from the United States and Europe is that any significant recovery is some time away. Even if that proves false, banks will not be extending credit as easily as before and this will impact Western consumer purchases.

The low-end products that used to be shipped to Europe and North America now find themselves in more naive, emerging markets and these are not going to be enough to pull China out of its Western export-biased economic model, on which 40 percent of China’s GDP growth is reliant.

A stimulus plan needs to kick start a sustainable recovery, not manipulate GDP figures for twelve months.

Accordingly, unless China can either come up with another trillion dollar stimulus plan for 2010, or shift its own economy by relying less on overseas exports, I cannot see how China is going to get close to even 7.2 percent for next year. This remains a concern amid the hype of China’s improving GDP figures.

There is also the increasingly important matter of India.
A resurgent India is now armed with not just an affluent middle-class but also a government mandate for investment and reforms. For the first time, China,will start to face competition over which city in the world has the most skyscrapers. That used to be Shanghai, but when you’ve developed Pudong, what next? The labor and industry development that comes with a huge construction and infrastructure boom will soon head to India as the nation massively steps up its infrastructure developments.

The times are changing. I also expect to see the United States start to have balance of trade disputes with India’s Ministry of Commerce rather than China’s.

India is also lowering its cost of business. Business taxes in many sectors are at a more attractive rate to foreign investors as opposed to China.

This, coupled with no tax on turnover, or mandatory welfare payments for workers, will have the effect of driving FDI to India rather than China.

China’s problem is far deeper than just a slowdown in global spending.
The country must reevaluate its economic model – it has gone too far along the route of an export-based economy.

The thinkers and policy makers in China need to retract from this position, and balance the reliance on exports with a healthy domestic economy. The RMB4 trillion stimulus plan may make this year’s GDP figures look good, but maintaining growth rates again in 2010 is going to be far tougher than just throwing money at the problem without addressing the underlying issue.

A full China recovery along the lines of 2008 GDP growth figures may not occur until 2012, possibly later.

In short, this means that China’s economy is far from yet being an “engine for global growth” as has often been suggested over the past few years.

Louis Kujis, a World Bank senior economist, said in a statement last week: “China’s fiscal stimulus package has improved the growth outlook for China in 2009, however the effects of this will dwindle in 2010. China’s fiscal stimulus will help support fundamentals for a shift to a domestic demand-led economy, but it is yet to be the world’s growth locomotive.”

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is China Heading for a Bubble Bursting Downturn?

Oct. 22 – One of the curious things about living and being involved in a country is often expressed in the silver birch alluding expression “can’t see the wood for the trees.” Having spent the best part of twenty years in China, it can be difficult to shake off preconceptions about a country first experienced as it began to open up. Since those days, China has without doubt been an express train of delivery, transforming itself into a global powerhouse and apparently steaming ahead with all whistles blowing. It can be difficult, when used to such a situation to imagine it could be any different.

Moving away from a country however, as I have to India, provides however a different perspective. Gone for me now are the uniquely Chinese characteristics that marked every day, gone too are the diehard Sinophiles, with an opinion on everything. The air, the language, the people are all different. In washing away 20 years worth of painted canvas of experience, one finds it doesn’t just vanish, but that you look at that painting in a rather subtler way, as if the light has changed. It just looks different from afar.

In a piece entitled “A bubble in Beijing?”, The Economist have been reaching a similar conclusion, although having taken a slightly different road to get there. In quoting the doom merchants, The Economist’s describes their premise is simple: “To support demand, China’s government has created huge quantities of credit. That lending is leading to unsustainable asset-price inflation, while wasteful investment is producing oodles of excess capacity. As a result, China’s stimulus will inevitably be followed by a bust down the road.”

Either way, depending on whose position you take, the immediate outlook for 2010 for China doesn’t look as promising as I had hoped a couple of months ago. I’m skeptical of the actual growth rate in the economy, and I think it will take some time for the Chinese to rebalance their fiscal plans. If the Economist is right – and they are in the business of being so – then we need to see an appreciation of the RMB to bail us out of a depressing year in China for 2010, and perhaps beyond.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Article is from June and given these times, 5 months means a lot. Between March and June it was decided that Citi and GM will be bailed out. So not sure if this article is still as accurate given the time frame.

No idea about FDI going into India. But what would they invest in for? Infrastructure in India is hopeless (truly you should go look for yourself) and given that Chinese are back in full fighting trim given global slowdown (as you know many factories are at half capacity and many workers are now less picky about jobs).

Chinese economy is still undergoing transformation and as such there is lots of instability - a view echo by Chinese PM. That is good because they know it and identify the problem so they will solve it.

India should do the same and recognize they major problems. Without admitting these problems it is tough to even start. Just try getting out of the airport and you know what I mean.

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Article is from June and given these times, 5 months means a lot. Between March and June it was decided that Citi and GM will be bailed out. So not sure if this article is still as accurate given the time frame.

No idea about FDI going into India. But what would they invest in for? Infrastructure in India is hopeless (truly you should go look for yourself) and given that Chinese are back in full fighting trim given global slowdown (as you know many factories are at half capacity and many workers are now less picky about jobs).

Chinese economy is still undergoing transformation and as such there is lots of instability - a view echo by Chinese PM. That is good because they know it and identify the problem so they will solve it.

India should do the same and recognize they major problems. Without admitting these problems it is tough to even start. Just try getting out of the airport and you know what I mean.

Here is a reply from Shanghai to that article posted above.
Dated 23 Oct 09. As recent as it can get.

-------

Patrick Dunn says:
October 23, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Chris

Thank you for a most interesting and pointed analysis of the current situation in China. It was both insightful and timely, and to those who do not heed the looming bursting bubble, well good luck.

I have followed most of your articles since coming to Shanghai seven years ago and have found them to be very informative and of high value in understanding the complexities of this very interesting economy.

What struck me most about your most recent analysis is that I have been telling anyone who would listen the same things, that the storm clouds have been gathering, and please pay attention. It is as if I wrote your words myself. I cannot agree more.

As I have watched this bubble begin to reach its critical tension, I keep my ticket under my pillow and a weary eye on the exit. Needless to say, 2010 shall be a most interesting year, World Expo et.al.

Thank you,
Patrick Dunn,
Shanghai