• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal
The temperature is close to 0 degrees in Ontario, BC etc. Feels like minus something.

Temperature is minus something in SK, MB etc. Feels like super minus artic cold.

At that rate, it is bloody cold. Anyone who brush that aside is a con artist.

By golly, you are right. It looks like Canada is under zero degrees.

Anything under 0 degrees is cold alright. Actually under 5 degrees is freezing cold.

Lets see what Environment Canada has to say:

Vancouver 0 degrees now 2200 hours PST -7 degrees tonight
Prince George -21
Calgary -17 (-23 tonight)
Edmonton -17
Regina -15
Saskatoon -17
Winnipeg -12
Thunder Bay -7
Toronto 1 degrees now, -5 tonight
Ottawa -6
Montreal -3
Federicton -3
Halifax -3
Charlottetown -2
St John -2

1. It does looks by tonight, the whole of Canada will be under zero degrees

2. On this account, if it does rain in any of these places, it will be a snow, snow flurry or snow shower depending on the local conditions. By this, I concede that you may be right, there is a possibility that the whole of Canada covered in snow.

3. The warmest place in Canada is Toronto. This is quite obvious from the map. It is so far south, on the 43rd parallel which is quite warm with countries like Spain and southern France on the 43rd parallel.

4. The coldest place in Canada is prairie provinces, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg are freezing cold. (Ok, forget about Whitehorse, Yellowknife etc because nobody really wants to live there)

So if you are cannot take the cold, I suggest you move to Toronto or the Golden Horse area (Hamilton, Oshawa, Kitchener-Waterloo, Mississauga, Brampton, St. Catharines, Cambridge etc) because those cities are the warmest in Canada and they have a large industrial base there.

Attachments

• canada_conditions.JPG
    canada_conditions.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 163

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not all of Canada is below zero yet. It is 3 deg where I am now, and no frost on my still green lawn. The morning sun is shining, and it is somewhat windy. I will put on my parka, boots and beanie and continue with my outdoor garden paving project, then wait for the snow to come any day now.

According to www.timeanddate.com on a Sunday 9am:

Toronto +1
Burlington, Hamilton +3
Markham -3
Mississauga -1
Vancouver 0
Calgary, Edmonton -18

Last edited:

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the time the white stuff arrives, it will be all over the news...CBC GlobalNational and CTV. The whole country 'has' to know

Not all of Canada is below zero yet. It is 3 deg where I am now, and no frost on my still green lawn. The morning sun is shining, and it is somewhat windy. I will put on my parka, boots and beanie and continue with my outdoor garden paving project, then wait for the snow to come any day now.

Toronto +1
Burlington, Hamilton +3
Markham -3
Mississauga -1
Vancouver 0
Calgary, Edmonton -18

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Toronto +1
Burlington, Hamilton +3
Markham -3
Mississauga -1
Vancouver 0
Calgary, Edmonton -18

Since people like to dispute on the temperature, I will submit one as well. It is -1 degrees in Vancouver and not 0 degrees.

Ps. Your data is for Sunday 9am. On Sunday 3am, temperatures in Ontario is below 0 degrees. So at that time, Canada is indeed below 0 degrees.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who are interested, according to www.timeanddate.com on a Monday morning 7:20am EST, the temperatures at the following cities are:

Shanghai +11
Tokyo +14
Auckland +15
London +5
Paris +8
Toronto, Markham +11
Mississauga +13
Hamilton, Burlington +14
Edmonton, Calgary -19
Vancouver, Richmond, Delta -4
Maple Ridge -5

Factor in the time and season differences. The purpose of this post is to inform those who are interested what the relative temperatures are like in these cities at this time of year this morning.

Last edited:

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
November 22, 2010 - 0915 hours

Vancouver is now -4 degrees, feels like -13 degrees, coooooold

Better off in Toronto +11 degrees

Attachments

• Vancouver.jpg
    Vancouver.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 141

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
With Canada's freezing temperatures, here is some tips in saving on your heating bills.

How To Winterize Your Home

Tips To Make The House Cost Efficient During Winter
By Rome Neal

(CBS) If you’re feeling a chill in the air, it’s a good time to think about winterizing your home to reduce your heating bills.

Danny Lipford, host of “Today’s Home Owner,” has five cash-saving tips for viewers of The Early Show that he says can really add up.

Lipford says inspecting insulation, sealing gaps, and maximizing the heating and hot water systems all will save money.

According to the Dept. of Energy, the cost to heat an average home is approximately $1,400. Lipford says you can save close to 50 percent of that, if your home is winterized the right way.

Lipford uses a total home approach and looks at various areas where heat may escape or not be used efficiently. Whether you live in one of the coldest areas of the country or in a milder climate, any or all of the following steps will help reduce heating bills.

Inspect Your Insulation

Since warm air rises, the single most effective way to save on heating is to have adequate attic insulation. If you don't know how to tell, look for your ceiling joists. If you can see them, you need more insulation.

Lipford uses the new "Miraflex Insulation" for homes. It is the first new glass-fiber insulation to be developed in nearly 60 years. Traditional insulation, known for being scratchy and irritating to the skin, costs approximately 25 cents per square foot. Miraflex is about twice as much, but Lipford estimates the yearly savings from using it could be as much as $150 to $200.

Plug the Gaps Outside

The next step in keeping your house cozy is to keep cold air out. To do this, you must seal up all cracks on the exterior perimeter of the home. Areas around windows and outdoor faucets can let in a tremendous amount of cold air. Use standard caulking or new Sidewinder Caulk that is appropriate for use in temperatures below 40 degrees. Simply inspect the exterior of the home and apply the caulk wherever you see any cracks, gaps or holes.

The estimated cost of caulk is about $10 per tube. Lipford estimates the yearly saving from caulking at $80 to $100.

Stop the Leaks Inside

Now, it's time to seal up the inside of the home. Cracks around windows, on perimeter walls and around electrical outlets on exterior walls can create a tremendous leak of warm air. Again, simply use a standard caulking gun, apply caulk to any areas where you can see a crack or gap or feel a draft. This will provide a more airtight envelope around the home.

Once you have sealed up the cracks, turn your attention to drafty, inefficient windows. If new windows are not in your budget, use a window insulation kit like the one that is available from Duck brand. This kit is very easy to install and costs about $3 per window.

The estimated cost of caulk is about $10 per tube. The window insulation kit costs $15, and each kit can cover 3-5 windows. The estimated yearly saving is $60 to $80.

Maximize Your Heating System

There are many ways you can maximize the efficiency of your current heating system. For safety reasons, have a professional inspect your heating system every year to ensure that it is operating properly. Having ducts cleaned and filters changed will immediately produce results in the amount of heat produced.

Another way to save money is by using a setback thermostat. This allows you to heat your home when you are there and let the temperature drop a little when you are out. It is much less expensive to heat the home back up than it is to keep it at the same temperature all day long.

Another trend in heating is “zone heating.” By using devices that heat the area of the home where you spend the most time rather than heating the entire house, you can save additional dollars. Lipford demonstrated on The Early Show the Setback Thermostat, a computerized setback thermostat and the Reiker Room Conditioner, a ceiling fan that emits heat.

The Setback Thermostat costs $80, while the Reiker Room Conditioner costs $499. Lipford estimates the yearly savings to be $175 to $225.

Keep your Hot Water Hot

On an average, it takes 14 percent of your overall utility bill to provide hot water. Savings can be realized by wrapping a water heater blanket around your water heater, insulating your water pipes and considering the installation of a timer on all electric water heaters.

Lipford estimates the hot water heater blanket to cost $15; the hot water pipe wraps to cost $20; and the electric water heater timer to cost $60. The estimated yearly saving is $30 to $40.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Canada's weather is generally cold. I don't understand what's the big issue about it? I guess if you are born in Canada and hate the cold then go migrate to warmer countries. Like Singapore? Haha!

Well I was born in Singapore and hate the hot and humid climate. Walk in the sun and after 10 minutes hot and SWEATY AND STICKY. It's the wet and sticky part that I dislike.

Anyway this morning Edmonton was -28 degrees celsius. Cold.

Last night fell to -23 degrees celsius but there was wind chill. Felt colder than the -28 degrees this morning. I was trying to put some air into my winter tyres and my fingers were so so cold.

Nevertheless I still prefer the cold. Wear proper winter clothing. It's not the layers or the thermals. It's the quality of your clothing. Get a good pair of gloves. Get a trapper hat keeps your head and ears warm. And if you get a balaclava, your nose and mouth will be warm too.

And well stay indoors! Don't go out so much.

At least I feel cosy under all my clothing. Sure beats feeling hot and sticky but wearing nothing but shorts.

If you cannot take the cold then move to warmer countries. Australia would be a good choice I suppose. I like the snow though.

Driving in the city is still quite ok as almost everyone drives slowly.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Calgary this morning -30, now -25. Just wear proper clothing, no big deal.
In the house, a nice +23

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello from the southern hemisphere and I just experienced the first mini summer Heatwave at 39*C in unusual Nov. Usually, the heat comes in Dec - Mar but the weather has been strange and dry.

Usually, we should have winter rain, but winter has been cold and dry, not the mild winter I am accustomed to. I thought I am living in the Cape in South Africa which is on the same latitude.

Perth tend to be very dry - some people like it, with skin moisturiser and lipgloss.

I do not like snow, short daylights and wearing thick clothings, so a mild winter is all I can take. Neither do I like summer daylight at 10pm.

I love the Cape Peninsula weather in South Africa, but not the crime and danger, it is a lot safer in Perth.

Canada's weather is generally cold. I don't understand what's the big issue about it? I guess if you are born in Canada and hate the cold then go migrate to warmer countries. Like Singapore? Haha!

Well I was born in Singapore and hate the hot and humid climate. Walk in the sun and after 10 minutes hot and SWEATY AND STICKY. It's the wet and sticky part that I dislike.

Anyway this morning Edmonton was -28 degrees celsius. Cold.

If you cannot take the cold then move to warmer countries. Australia would be a good choice I suppose. I like the snow though.

Driving in the city is still quite ok as almost everyone drives slowly.

Last edited:

panama

Alfrescian
Loyal
How I envy people who went to Australia, nice and sunny.

Perth sounds like a great place, lots of good Malaysian/Singapore food.

I'll go for San Francisco too, never hot and never cold.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How I envy people who went to Australia, nice and sunny.

Perth sounds like a great place, lots of good Malaysian/Singapore food.

I'll go for San Francisco too, never hot and never cold.

sf was freezing last night with the cold sarah palin alaskan front moving south. it will be around freezing for tonight and tomorrow night, but days here are in the 50s (f) when the sun and sin come out to play. will be in the 60s next week. beautiful. can't and cunt complain.

panama

Alfrescian
Loyal
13°C high and 4°C low in SF, daytime temperature around 9°C, this is not hot neither cold.

I'll trade the canadian sub-zero clipper for San Francisco anytime.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
13°C high and 4°C low in SF, daytime temperature around 9°C, this is not hot neither cold.

I'll trade the canadian sub-zero clipper for San Francisco anytime.

fur us who are used to perfect sf bay area climate at 23c almost daily during spring, summer and fall, it's cold.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Canada's happiest cities

Canada's happiest cities

Post Media News – 24 Nov 2010

A steady drumbeat of gloomy economic news doesn't appear to be bumming out the vast majority of Canadians. And one of the authors of the study says that's because, as the old saying goes, money can't always buy happiness.

Last year, 92.1 per cent of Canadians over age 12 considered themselves satisfied or very satisfied with their lives, according to the study, which was conducted by the Canadian Centre for the Study of Living Standards, in tandem with the Institute for Competitiveness and Prosperity.

Andrew Sharpe, the centre's executive director, said the data show Canadians have remained relatively happy over time. In 2008, 91.4 per cent were satisfied or very satisfied, while five years earlier, in 2003, 91.3 per cent declared themselves happy.

"This will surprise some people, but Canadians in general are pretty happy," he said.

The life-satisfaction measure is based on data collected by Statistics Canada through its annual Canadian Community Health Survey, which polls Canadians about health issues and quality of life.

Happiest Cities

1. Sherbrooke, Que. 4.37

2. Brantford, Ont. 4.36

3. Trois-Rivières, Que. 4.35

4. Quebec 4.34

5. St. John's 4.34

6. Calgary 4.33

7. Peterborough, Ont. 4.32

8. Saguenay, Que. 4.32

9. Greater Sudbury, Ont. 4.32

10. Halifax 4.32

11. Guelph, Ont. 4.32

12. Victoria 4.32

13. Saskatoon 4.31

14. Saint John 4.30

15. Ottawa-Gatineau 4.29

Rating based on a scale of 1 to 5

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Nice.. i remember there is one good guy whom i chatted with at the delphi chatroom. He also recommend Canada..

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Happiest Cities

[CRAP SNIPPED

Rating based on a scale of 1 to 5

That is the kind of list Tonychat will like - hideout for losers.

If you want to consider Canada, best cities to live in would be Toronto, Montreal followed by Vancouver. Anybody knows that.

panama

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is the kind of list Tonychat will like - hideout for losers.

If you want to consider Canada, best cities to live in would be Toronto, Montreal followed by Vancouver. Anybody knows that.

Last year, 92.1 per cent of Canadians over age 12 considered themselves satisfied or very satisfied with their lives, according to the study, which was conducted by the Canadian Centre for the Study of Living Standards, in tandem with the Institute for Competitiveness and Prosperity.

Unfortunately, the 92.1 per cent of Canadians disagree with you :(

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I don't know about you guys. But I think that the Asian culture is the miserable one.

Over work. Greed. Status conscious. Competitive. Selfish.

Personally I'd stay away from areas that are brimming with Asians.