• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can you all spot what wrong with the CNA news!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE: Households can expect to pay less for their gas over the next three months.

From 1 August, gas prices will drop 2.8 per cent to 21.54 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh).

A one-room HDB flat can expect to pay 30 cents less a month while a five-room HDB flat can expect to pay 52 cents less.

Gas provider, City Gas, said the reduction in gas prices is a result of lower fuel prices.

Fuel prices dropped by 8.1 per cent in the last three months.

- CNA/ck

The above is what CNA write!
What wrong? Guess.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE: Households can expect to pay less for their gas over the next three months.

From 1 August, gas prices will drop 2.8 per cent to 21.54 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh).

A one-room HDB flat can expect to pay 30 cents less a month while a five-room HDB flat can expect to pay 52 cents less.

Gas provider, City Gas, said the reduction in gas prices is a result of lower fuel prices.

- CNA/ck

What wrong? Guess.

Is gas measured by kilowatt hour? I thought measure in KG?

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

- CNA/ck

What wrong? Guess.

There are many wrongs with this writeup.
1) Fuel prices drop by 8.1% but gas prices dropped by only 2.8%
2) One-room flat occupants consume about 55% of the electricity of a 5-room
3) One-room flat occupants pay slightly less than $100 for electricity before the reduction
4) 5-room flat occupants pay less than $200 a month for utilities before reduction
5) the person that wrote this article should not be allowed to report on anything that requires thinking

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is gas measured by kilowatt hour? I thought measure in KG?

Yes is in Kg or litre.
Now editor really need to go back to study more.
Kwh is for electricity.
Where does CNA editor get the info?
Mush ask Chinese gossip paper to print on 1st page.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes is in Kg or litre.
Now editor really need to go back to study more.
Kwh is for electricity.
Where does CNA editor get the info?
Mush ask Chinese gossip paper to print on 1st page.

actually in the field of energy storage, they do report gas etc in power (kwh or btu). there are many reports that does this for the ease of comparison across other power source.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes gas in BTU but not Kwh.
BTU or kwh depends on regions. its the same, unit for energy. i also hate our local media, but this time you are really in the wrong.

i happen to brush my shoulder in the field of energy sources before for a brief period of time. thus this remains rather fresh in my mind.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1) Fuel prices drop by 8.1% but gas prices dropped by only 2.8%

It's one of those mysteries that's Uniquely Singapore.

Like how out of every dollar donated, only a few cents goes to the needy beneficiaries. :wink:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Am I the only one that finds it strange that occupants in a 5-room spend less than double to those that live in a 1-room. Other than having additional family members in the household one can appreciate that the number of appliances will more than double, including air-conditioning units.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fridge normal each family have one unit.
One room will cock more. Normally cook 2 meal per day to cut cost eating outside.
5 room mostly max cook one meal a day or less.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Other than having additional family members in the household one can appreciate that the number of appliances will more than double, including air-conditioning units.

bro,

economy of scale? two or more folks sharing the same amount of electricity, and the multi-split air-conditioners?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Am I the only one that finds it strange that occupants in a 5-room spend less than double to those that live in a 1-room. Other than having additional family members in the household one can appreciate that the number of appliances will more than double, including air-conditioning units.

Maybe the wealthier folks are hardly at home. Most of their monthly expenditure is on fuel.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fridge normal each family have one unit.
One room will cock more. Normally cook 2 meal per day to cut cost eating outside.
5 room mostly max cook one meal a day or less.

5-room more likely to have air-con, bigger fridge, more computers, washer, dryer, microwave, vacuum and more people in the home means more appliances will be used. More washing and drying will be done. One time 'cock' for 5-persons means more cocking time even if one cock like you does the cocking.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
More washing and drying will be done. One time 'cock' for 5-persons means more cocking time even if one cock like you does the cocking.

in the past when me staying with my folks, a house of four or five in a 5-room would hit 100 bucks for SP bills, now that my brother and me moved out, my folks currently clocks about 80 bucks.

normanlee3399

Alfrescian
Loyal
5-room more likely to have air-con, bigger fridge, more computers, washer, dryer, microwave, vacuum and more people in the home means more appliances will be used. More washing and drying will be done. One time 'cock' for 5-persons means more cocking time even if one cock like you does the cocking.

hahaha...:biggrin: