• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can we sue airline for damage to luggage?

chamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All,

My brand new luggage was damaged. I have reported the damage to SATS upon collecting my luggage at the airport but the airline just refuses to compensate me.

I know airlines have limited liabilities under the Warsaw or what-have-you conventions which they abuse and use it to bully the passengers. But, how can we sue the airlines. Can I go to the small claims tribunal in this case?

Thanks

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The airline should give you a new luggage as replacement.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh! Thanks for the reply. My luggage is Rimowa.

rimowa luggages are supposed to be good. if yours get scratches, dents or dinks, it's normal. that's what good luggages are for. most important is to protect contents. but if your rimowa is structurally damaged or sides broken into, then the airline should replace it.

my made in china luggages, although cheap, constantly have their zipper threads torn between fabric and plastic. perhaps this explains why mei mei's zippers are often opened easily. :eek:

chamer

Alfrescian
Loyal

chamer

Alfrescian
Loyal
rimowa luggages are supposed to be good. if yours get scratches, dents or dinks, it's normal. that's what good luggages are for. most important is to protect contents. but if your rimowa is structurally damaged or sides broken into, then the airline should replace it.

my made in china luggages, although cheap, constantly have their zipper threads torn between fabric and plastic. perhaps this explains why mei mei's zippers are often opened easily. :eek:

There was a cut but the airline refuses to compensate, that is Thaiairways for you.

Mei Mei in China? I think it is safer there, so long as you pay the premium, you won't get into trouble like what you see in the online vice ring case here!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh! Thanks for the reply. My luggage is Rimowa.

rimowa standard aluminum or the new plastic material?
if it is the aluminum, it is not design to be throw around, you have to hand carry it or fly with an private plane.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SQ and BA usually pretty good with compensation for lost or damaged luggage. Not sure about other carriers though.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Hi All,

My brand new luggage was damaged. I have reported the damage to SATS upon collecting my luggage at the airport but the airline just refuses to compensate me.

I know airlines have limited liabilities under the Warsaw or what-have-you conventions which they abuse and use it to bully the passengers. But, how can we sue the airlines. Can I go to the small claims tribunal in this case?

Thanks

Sorry to know about your predicament. My luggage was damaged (both roller wheels did not function properly), and I reported it to the SATS office immediately. A few day later, they sent a guy over to pick up the luggage from my home. They repaired it (replaced the wheels and bearing race) and brought it back a week later. You took Thai Airways, their ground handling agent is SATS. I am surprised they refused to compensate you.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
huh? repeat repeat repeat
agree
agree agree

just got to have last word? ok let see in court 19-21nov

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi All,

Thanks

For one of my trips to SG several years ago, either Cathay Pacific Airways or SIA, they replaced my damaged suitcase, with a new one.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BA is reasonably good, because on one of my trips to France, they gave me an allowance to purchase items for the day, when my luggage was delayed, and compensated me for lost items.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best is just to write off the luggage. I was recently at KLIA and as I was waiting at the gate when I saw with my own eyes a large bag fall off one of the buggy carts that was about to load it onto the conveyor belt into the plane's cargo hold. Such things are usual occurrences. The ground handling staff are not going to handle luggage with any delicacy.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Never bother to ask for compensation. So many time my check in luggage got demaged and I just let it be.

Now I prefer to buy smaller hand carry luggage and carry my Rimowa into the plane.

I even buy a protector cover for all my Rimowa luggage.

rimowa_topas.jpg

96.jpg

Last edited: