• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cadreship for Minority members of the WP

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://sgpolitico.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/the-real-reasons-for-resigning-from-the-workersparty-2/

Here is an expanded, unexpurgated account of Sajeev Kamalasanan's resignation from the Worker's Party 1 year ago. He is clearly disgruntled but I don't think this is totally about the bitterness, because it is also about whether or not his story is being recounted fairly. I don't think it's totally unfair - he mentions facts like how things have changed since he resigned. It does raise fairly interesting questions about how well the party integrates minorities, and aside from the minority issue, it does seem as though the Worker's Party in its current incarnation runs itself along Leninist lines - it's too similar to the PAP for people to be totally comfortable with things.

It does reflect a new disturbing reality that when PAP deflects questions, and they're less than totally transparent in their decisions, they're being their usual dictatorial self. When the WP does it, it means that they are wise and have enough discretion.

At the same time his account raises questions - there have been plenty of supposedly wise and experienced people leaving the WP in droves. Why do they not join another opposition party?

It is interesting to note that four out of five of the Nee Soon GRC team was mentioned - himself, Angela Oon, Poh Lee Guan and Winston Chong. Maybe he's recounting stories that he knows about personally. Was Nee Soon a constituency that the WP decided at the last minute to contest?

New guard vs old guard politics probably happen in all opposition parties. Maybe even the PAP.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets wait for the "official" explanation from WPs rep in the forum - wwabbit. The man who does not speculate, guess and only has facts.

ps. In the meantime lets guess who is the actual author behind the letter. Maybe Sanjeev needs to get in touch with Balakrishnan.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't bother to read the whole essay if you don't have time. It can be summarized in one sentence: WP cadre selection is non transparent and unfair.

If you want to know the level of Sanjeev's credibility, just skip to the part where he endorses Poh Lee Guan's actions and questions why WP did not bother to contact him and find out more, before harshly punishing him for his actions by expelling him.

If you want to know what Sanjeev genuinely desires, just look for the phrase "affirmative action". That's what he wants from Sylvia Lim, no less.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
That is not the way to deal with criticisms made right at the core heart of a political party. It is a self-denial mode you are advocating here.

Sanjeev's account is quite hard hitting if you read deeper enough into it. I believe this does not only apply to "Indians" but Malays as well. It will be interesting to note that in spite of the wrong perception of NSP as "Chinese Towkay" party, WP is more "Chinese" than NSP in essence. For a start, NSP has a Malay Bureau to start with.

Goh Meng Seng

Don't bother to read the whole essay if you don't have time. It can be summarized in one sentence: WP cadre selection is non transparent and unfair.

If you want to know the level of Sanjeev's credibility, just skip to the part where he endorses Poh Lee Guan's actions and questions why WP did not bother to contact him and find out more, before harshly punishing him for his actions by expelling him.

If you want to know what Sanjeev genuinely desires, just look for the phrase "affirmative action". That's what he wants from Sylvia Lim, no less.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think there is a doubt that they had a problem with minorities. The only question for me is whether this problem is still on-going or whether they have solved it.

Singapore opted to go down the road of non-race based politics, For better or worse, all political parties are assumed to be multi-racial. That was supposed to be the only saving grace of the GRC. GRC - if you leave out that bullshit about gerrymandering opportunities - is all about affirmative action and race-based quotas. (But of course only race is important - if you talk about other stuff like socio-economic class or gender or religion you will get whacked the same way that Tang Liang Hong got whacked when he asked why are there so many Christians in parliament).

Sajeev can only comment on the state of WP at the time when he left it. He raised an issue and there have been superficial moves to address that issue. Whether it is tokenism or whatever is something that remains to be seen.

The Poh Lee Guan incident - of course he should have been disciplined. Only question is whether firing is too severe.

WP runs on a platform of accountability. We should start beating them into shape already. No need to wait until we have a situation where two parties that nobody likes dominates the Singapore landscape. If WP can't even get their race problem settled then you might as well just vote PAP.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The letter was scripted by someone other than Sanjeev. It certainly involves an ex or present member who has a range of issues to address. The Poh Lee Guan matter and the way the writer goes out of his way to justify the action on the basis of having a back-up is quite ludicrous.

You can be the best politician, carry the most votes in parliament and still can get turfed out if you do not have control over the cadre membership. Naturally one if going to be highly selective. No sane political leader is going to select on merit, tenure and handwork. The first rule is allegiance.

Soma might be a nice guy, hardworking but he is such a poor speaker and despite his height has little presence. Hong Boon carries himself well, is with the Genome Institute and is now an Legislative asst for SL. Goes to show potential. Eric had similar issues. GG was an obvious choice. LTK if he made promises to Eric Tan, then he too needs to learn from this.

I haver no doubt that WP is less comfortable with the minorities and the issue with the Indians over the lawsuit that nearly destroyed the party will always longer on. I have also no doubt that they have to do more on the minority space. They have to sharpen their political tact by having a proper plan to bring in quality minority members and candidates so that they would not be drawn into these silly episodes. Minority cadres whether one likes it or not is important to reflect the plural society they hope to represent. The issue is not to make Sanjeeev and Soma as cadres but do some legwork and get quality minorities. Or else these things will continue.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Poh Lee Guan matter sort of screwed the whole thing. You must be realise that Sanjeev was made use of. NSP and you did the right thing where the minorities are concerned. If anything else GRC forces one to invest in the minority.

That is not the way to deal with criticisms made right at the core heart of a political party. It is a self-denial mode you are advocating here.

Sanjeev's account is quite hard hitting if you read deeper enough into it. I believe this does not only apply to "Indians" but Malays as well. It will be interesting to note that in spite of the wrong perception of NSP as "Chinese Towkay" party, WP is more "Chinese" than NSP in essence. For a start, NSP has a Malay Bureau to start with.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like it or not the minority affirmative action agenda will be always be the albatross around every political parties' neck. Its a plural society. Take Gang Bang Zainuddin for example. If this guy was a Chinese, he would not see daylight in the PAP unless he was in NTUC or some grassroots shit. That is the reality. I am actually surprised that WP is struggling with the Indian minorities as they were well known to be outspoken, politically aware and I am talking about those who are well educated and well known.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
The letter was scripted by someone other than Sanjeev. It certainly involves an ex or present member who has a range of issues to address. The Poh Lee Guan matter and the way the writer goes out of his way to justify the action on the basis of having a back-up is quite ludicrous.

You can be the best politician, carry the most votes in parliament and still can get turfed out if you do not have control over the cadre membership. Naturally one if going to be highly selective. No sane political leader is going to select on merit, tenure and handwork. The first rule is allegiance.

It's not so important whether some dumb things were said in that letter, and it's not so important whether that letter was simply scripted and Sajeev put his name to it. More important are: are the issues true, and if they are, what the fuck is WP going to do about it.

Regarding the running of the party, if say you are in the early stages of your existence, or if you're just a fledgeling looking to expand, you want your party to be run like a dictatorship, and reward people based on loyalty. But we have two big examples of how this can go wrong: the Republican party of the USA and the PAP. If you run your party like a dictatorship, then it becomes some kind of echo chamber and then you're no longer responsive to the needs of your electorate. Especially if you have a fool in charge.

OK, now it's alright for WP to be run like a dictatorship. Low Thia Khiang is generally doing a good job. But one day you will want it to be more democratic, otherwise we will have a situation where parliament is dominated by two versions of the same ol' PAP. Then we want to overthrow the PAP for fuck?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
It is indeed not appropriate for him to raise the issue of PLG because it is totally another matter.

However, in view of the possibility of PAP increasing the number of GRCs by reducing the size of GRCs, WP will have a big problem if it cannot groom enough quality Malay and Indian candidates.

Goh Meng Seng

The Poh Lee Guan matter sort of screwed the whole thing. You must be realise that Sanjeev was made use of. NSP and you did the right thing where the minorities are concerned. If anything else GRC forces one to invest in the minority.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It can be summarized in one sentence: WP cadre selection is non transparent and unfair.

He should give an example of what is a transparent and fair cadre selection. Eg. state cases of NSP, SDP, SPP members who were made or not made cadres and if they were told of the reasons why.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if you take out the "dumb" things, in a nutshell this is minor. Its like a torn toenail. In the scheme of things, WP have done tremendously well bearing in mind the adversary that they are facing. In fact the PAP is expected to emulate some of the things that WP has got right.

But it is also important to show that this guy has got an axe to grind with the WP and not the PAP. He has allowed himself to be used by others who have their own agenda. And that on face value and deep down, much of what he says has no merit.

If you put Toh Hong Boon, Sanjeev and Soma in front of an interview panel compromising a neutral team. 10 of 10 times, Toh will come out first. Nothing to do with race, colour or size of teeth. If we put Paul T and VW, my sense is that both these gentlemen would outdo Toh.

So what WP needs to do is get better quality minority candidates.

It's not so important whether some dumb things were said in that letter, and it's not so important whether that letter was simply scripted and Sajeev put his name to it. More important are: are the issues true, and if they are, what the fuck is WP going to do about it.

OK, now it's alright for WP to be run like a dictatorship. Low Thia Khiang is generally doing a good job. But one day you will want it to be more democratic, otherwise we will have a situation where parliament is dominated by two versions of the same ol' PAP. Then we want to overthrow the PAP for fuck?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cadre membership or party caucus are difficult concepts to understand even for political aspirants and politicians let alone the layman. They would equate it to membership of a social club where this construct does not exist.

The general public would also not expect him to know what other parties do as these are typically not revealed. The PAP does not even disclose its cadre list to it own members or the selection criteria.

In fact the argument put forth in this letter suggest that the author does not understand or deliberately put it across knowing that the majority of people have no idea how it works. I would suggest the latter.

In fact the author knows that WP would have a tough time explaining the role of cadres and the selection process as these are confidential.

He should give an example of what is a transparent and fair cadre selection. Eg. state cases of NSP, SDP, SPP members who were made or not made cadres and if they were told of the reasons why.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This Sajeev is nothing but a trouble maker. And with the ascendency of WP,,alot of detractors will start attacking them...a good example is Goh Meng Seng (aks Got More Shit). WP needs members that will serve the people and put the people 1st and not be internal troublemakers,,,

Another group of trouble makers are the 3rd rate oppos like SDA and RP. These need to be gotten rid off. Look at KJ's and CSJ antics, they do nothing but help PAP and not the opposition. PAP is the problem,,,any antics against WP is for the PAP,,,

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no doubt that WP is perceived as more Chinese than the other parties because of LTK. Thats reality and no one should make any apologies for it. He is doing a good job with all things factored in. As I pointed earlier there is clearly some work to be done to bring in quality minority candidates. Maybe explore having minority bureaus to give them an element of self determination within the wider party setup. That will give them a stake in this game.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. I wonder what his motivation was to contest the elections against the PAP. I have not seen a single comment about the PAP, policies that are bad or anything in the political space since he left. If he was a decent politician, he would have left the party and joined another party because it lends credence that he wants to represent society. He could also stand as an independent.

This Sajeev is nothing but a trouble maker. And with the ascendency of WP,,alot of detractors will start attacking them...a good example is Goh Meng Seng (aks Got More Shit). WP needs members that will serve the people and put the people 1st and not be internal troublemakers,,,

Another group of trouble makers are the 3rd rate oppos like SDA and RP. These need to be gotten rid off. Look at KJ's and CSJ antics, they do nothing but help PAP and not the opposition. PAP is the problem,,,any antics against WP is for the PAP,,,

DEDEER

Alfrescian
Loyal
he is not only one with an axe to grind with wp. there is one guy lurking in the thread with the same agenda.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tat is y i call him Got More Shit...he has just as much hot air in his head and bull dust from his rear end than the Cow.

I agree. I wonder what his motivation was to contest the elections against the PAP. I have not seen a single comment about the PAP, policies that are bad or anything in the political space since he left. If he was a decent politician, he would have left the party and joined another party because it lends credence that he wants to represent society. He could also stand as an independent.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

If that is your criteria in determining whether one is against PAP or just opportunistic, I guess whole lot of WP members will fall into your category of opportunists! :wink:

WP people are trained to shut up on policy issues but just attacking their critics... nothing on PAP policies at all but just their critics. It is really pretty obvious here and it makes one wonder how different WP is from PAP, both are intolerant against criticisms. In fact, I think PAP is learning fast to cope with criticisms and live with it while WP people are totally intolerant, behaving like little tyrants jumping up and down when poked.

Nowadays, I get much less, if not zero, of attacks from PAP IBs but more from WP IB and people.... interesting development indeed.

Goh Meng Seng