• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

butch looking CEO - my leadership helped avert 'huge fare increases'

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa (picture) has continued to share her side of the story on her personal blog, with a post on Saturday on how her leadership helped to raise SMRT's revenue, preventing "huge fare increases".

Ms Saw, who resigned in January after two major train service breakdowns on the North-South Line in December, said that one of her main tasks when she joined the company nine years ago was to improve the bottom line.

"This was the first time I was faced with a business whereby costs escalated quickly but revenue did not grow at the same pace. Ridership was growing at a steady but slow 2 per cent annually, with limited or no fare increase," said Ms Saw, whose retail background and suitability to run SMRT had come under fire in the wake of the breakdowns.

As the company "can never cut corners" to improve margins, the "most obvious opportunity" was to make full use of its station assets - the space.

Ms Saw said the monies brought in from maximising retail and advertising space benefitted commuters. SMRT managed to raise commercial revenue from S$28 million to more than S$100 million, "averting the need for huge fare increases".

Other key challenges when she became CEO included improving LRT services, which were suffering multiple stoppages, and managing the merger with TIBS.

"Delving deeper, we realised that the LRT was run as a separate company, not only legally but also in every way. For example, the strong SMRT train team was not involved in the running of the LRT trains," she said. "Thus, it was not surprising that the young LRT team was in over its head. Its actions were mainly stop-gap measures."

The company's train management eventually merged with SMRT, and problems like its "badly-commissioned geoloc system" and complicated power system were tackled.

As for the TIBS merger, which faced resistance due to "turf pride", Ms Saw said this was eventually resolved by consulting all its staff on defining its mission.

Ms Saw also addressed the criticism to her starting a blog, saying the negative comments did not surprise her.

She wrote: "Friends ask me to respond but I don't feel a need to. If you have enjoyed what I've posted so far (and I know it's not a lot), thank you for reading. If you have not found it interesting, then perhaps an alternative blog or website might better suit you. I leave it up to you."

Her last day at SMRT is April 5.

showimageCC.aspx

SMRT Dividend Table.jpg

This table shows very clearly that the increased revenue did not go to prevent huge fare increase. Stoopid butch should do her homework before looking for sympathies. :oIo:

Z

Zombie

Ms Saw said the monies brought in from maximising retail and advertising space benefitted commuters. SMRT managed to raise commercial revenue from S$28 million to more than S$100 million, "averting the need for huge fare increases".

just go and check the audited report for 2002 and 2011 (the year she joined(?) and resigned)
see under segment reporting for MRT + LRT + Bus (note: ignoring taxi since most people do not take them everyday)

2002:
revenue = 375m + 8m + 57m = 440m
profit = 64m - 2m + 6m = 68m (approx 15% margin)

2011:
revenue = 527m + 9m + 213m = 749m
profit = 113m - 0m - 3m = 110m (approx 15% margin)

conclusion:
both 2002 and 2011 show 15% margin (+/- 1%) ... this means nothing has changed..
in another words, the commuters are still paying fully for the cost of their transport plus 15% (+/-1%) contribution to indirect cost...

http://www.smrt.com.sg/investors/documents/annual_reports/2002/external_pdfs/annual-report2002.pdf
http://www.smrt.com.sg/investors/documents/annual_reports/2011/pdf/SMRT_AR2011_FINAL.pdf

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa (picture) has continued to share her side of the story on her personal blog, with a post on Saturday on how her leadership helped to raise SMRT's revenue, preventing "huge fare increases".

Ms Saw, who resigned in January after two major train service breakdowns on the North-South Line in December, said that one of her main tasks when she joined the company nine years ago was to improve the bottom line.

"This was the first time I was faced with a business whereby costs escalated quickly but revenue did not grow at the same pace. Ridership was growing at a steady but slow 2 per cent annually, with limited or no fare increase," said Ms Saw, whose retail background and suitability to run SMRT had come under fire in the wake of the breakdowns.

As the company "can never cut corners" to improve margins, the "most obvious opportunity" was to make full use of its station assets - the space.

Other key challenges when she became CEO included improving LRT services, which were suffering multiple stoppages, and managing the merger with TIBS.

"Delving deeper, we realised that the LRT was run as a separate company, not only legally but also in every way. For example, the strong SMRT train team was not involved in the running of the LRT trains," she said. "Thus, it was not surprising that the young LRT team was in over its head. Its actions were mainly stop-gap measures."

The company's train management eventually merged with SMRT, and problems like its "badly-commissioned geoloc system" and complicated power system were tackled.

As for the TIBS merger, which faced resistance due to "turf pride", Ms Saw said this was eventually resolved by consulting all its staff on defining its mission.

Ms Saw also addressed the criticism to her starting a blog, saying the negative comments did not surprise her.

She wrote: "Friends ask me to respond but I don't feel a need to. If you have enjoyed what I've posted so far (and I know it's not a lot), thank you for reading. If you have not found it interesting, then perhaps an alternative blog or website might better suit you. I leave it up to you."

showimageCC.aspx

What a fucking ugly-looking bitch she is!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its either she rubbing it in.....or the papers trying to divert attention from recent breakdowns

Obvious PAP is trying to deflect attention away from the problems they caused. No doubt she had a big part to play as CEO but what about all the others e.g. LKY, LHL, Ho Ching,... Anybody know how many shares they have in SMRT :confused:

Expect more problems to surface. You can't run a country by putting it on auto. Especially when you have millions of foreigners comming in & stressing the system.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dumb cunt knew years ago that the massive fare increase was due to escalating Maintenance Costs inherent to any machine. Any Engineer would be familiar with the bathtub curve of Reliability Engineering.

But this fucking bitch instead skimped on Maintenance and focused instead on building shop space and jacking up rents, all to the detriment of safety and to impress her equally clueless PAP-ass-kissing board, only one of which actually had Engineering experience.

I still say lynch the cunt. She is negligence personified.