• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking News - Shopping done overseas may be subject to GST

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Trust them to initiate more such taxes in the near future. Their greed has no boundaries. The 60% is resp0onsible for this.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dun worry lor, they cannot stop everyone, if they are very strict, that will affect their position as best airport in region.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
jubilee1919;1298521.. Travellers carrying goods with values exceeding the Goods and Services Tax (GST) relief and duty-free allowance have to declare the goods at the Customs Red Channel at checkpoints said:
It was already a ruling when GST was first introduced (they did not take into account of inflation) but the customs on the ground did not fully implement it. It does it at random and on a case-by-case basis - like the man who came back from Sarawak with boxes of bird nest and sway sway kenna checked and fined.

It's a case of torturing a monkey to frighten all the other monkeys. If the Customs people were to check every person, the queue would stretch from Changi to Chennai. Only the Saints will quai quai go to the Red Lane to declare that he has bought $151 of goods at the Causeway or $601 at Changi.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is a way...u tell them the items r free if tot value bellow 600 no gst. of cse u don't swing ur lv bag around in its packaging. open it n use n claim its bought bf no receipt no price tag diff to prove shit against u

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Almost all countries impose GST on items bought overseas. Limits vary from country to country. In NZ, the limit is $400. This applies to items bought over the internet too.

In OZ, the limit is AUD1000 and local retailers are crying foul because they've lost a huge chunk of business to on line shops which have an unfair advantage.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
this rule has been in force for years. what are you talking about?
I thought so too. Anyway I never bother to declare, because I will just tell the custom officer the new item was a gift from friend. If only one or two of the same items, the officer will let you pass. I got let off many times.

Those targeted are the ones importing high value items for resale in Singapore, such as birds nest, condiceps, Swiss watches etc. a standard luggage can contain hundred of thousands worth of goods.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
this rule has been in force for years. what are you talking about?

Any person going in and out of Malaysia will know this rule existed long long long time ago, it's clearly displayed at our immigration/customs

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rules have been in place all along. The crazy part is PR has no gst exemption, not even 1 dollar. I asked a senior customs guy and he told me they have to draw a "line", presumably to comply to our lawmakers. The penalty for under declaring is always there. I rather pay a bit more for guarantees instead of shipping back for repairs. Many Aussies think the same way despite the high sales taxes there.