• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking News: James Gomez Quits From The Workers' Party

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hope he can join Reform party and formed a credible opposition party.
Contest a GRC, give voters a chance to vote.

If oppositions can field all candidates around singapore without 3 corner fights,
then i will see how strong the support is for the ruling party.

:biggrin: :( :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point. I suspect in this case, both sides are delighted by the decision.

It's not a matter of hopping but one of not associating and identifying yourself with a party gone soft. When one does not share the same platform and ideology of a party, it's only right and time to move on.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha! Then I should start up my own NGO as well! LOL!

Anyway, talking about NGO, I may really get involved in one NGO overseas. But alas, no money leh! :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Nebermind, GMS, start a NGO HIANG STALL - the cheaper NGO alternative that caters to Sporean's pet love - food ! :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
James has always moved around his own agenda which in most cases applies to most people. In politics however, the perception is preferably society's agenda.

He began his political life with the feedback unit, and other government consultative bodies on politics and media. He was then briefly with Roundtable, then Think Cente. Then he went across to the WP. Realise hwo comprehensive the coverage is. These interactions and events delivered the material for his work and livelihood. Note his academic output and books and one gets the picture. The natural progression is NGO. You got give him credit for finding the formula.

Whose says that you can't mix business with pleasure.

I suspect that he will be the first to contest an elections behind the banner of an NGO. Very trendy in the west.

Hope he can join Reform party and formed a credible opposition party.
Contest a GRC, give voters a chance to vote.

If oppositions can field all candidates around singapore without 3 corner fights,
then i will see how strong the support is for the ruling party.

:biggrin: :( :biggrin:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously though, I have mixed feelings on hearing Gomez leaving WP supposedly to be more involved in new NGO Singaporeans for Democracy.

Today, Sylvia Lim is in Parliament as NCMP becos of good Aljunied Showing in 2006.

Opp candidates I remember from 2006 : GMS, Gomez, Sylvia, Yaw, Chia Ti Lik & going slightly back, NSP people like Christopher Neo, Steve Chia...

Along the way, for various reasons, all have made the news for one reason or another or play musical chairs - the latest being Gomez.

I used to buy his 'SHAME' magazine & thought - hmm another Indian, another intellectual.

Playing musical chair is nothing new or inherently bad (like someone say, leaving darkness joining light). In the past Jufri Mhd & Wong hong toy also party-hoppers.

On a deeper level, I believe personal reasons can never be discounted - or admitted.

Hard for a natural leader to emerge - whether in opp parties or even PAP.

LTK patiently served under Jeya until he emerge as undisputed WP Boss. Sylvia may be party chair but real power is in Low's hands.

Gomez & others may be 'buay song' with Low for all sorts of reason - his England not better than them, he too kia-see, he control members from airing public views etc etc.

Chiam is unofficial leader due to age, seniority.

It seems when people buay song, either they engineer coup de tat like Chee Soon Juan or vote with their feet, quit party.

Today, LKY is the unifying force - so every so-called new generation of leaders coalesce around one another. LHL may be slightly more 'charismatic' than his peers - but after him, IMO no natural leaders in sight.

So after Lee gone, if amongst themselves new ministers unhappy & not compelled to stay united, then either in-fighting occurs or more likely given Sinkie culture, get out & move on....

Next GE & future of Spore Politics, more independent candidates ? How many new generation Singaporeans are good in building a political party up from scratch - organizational skills, political smarts, oratical charm.....

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
James Gomez? Not surprise that he left WP. He probably cost the Aljunied GRC and hijack any platform the oppositions had during that time. If he had apologised timely enough, all would have forgotten and moved on.

Come on, we usually only have 1, yes 1, good GRC team to mount an attack on GE, and like it or not, many would love to blame J.G to kill the chance, yes, even for those who stayed in Potong Pasir and Hougang.

One of the other thorn in the flesh is the Yaw guy who voted the PAP in, and proclaimed to the world. He will be another idiot who may put a dent on the credibility of WP. WP LTK or Slyvia Lim can say whatever they like, and at the end of the day, you have a WP candidate and CEC member to vote for PAP when there is another opposition, and declared openly who he voted for,,,,, why would people vote for this clown. And he will be brought out again when the next election comes around and how can the oppositions rebut such proclamation?

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the other thorn in the flesh is the Yaw guy who voted the PAP in, and proclaimed to the world. He will be another idiot who may put a dent on the credibility of WP. WP LTK or Slyvia Lim can say whatever they like, and at the end of the day, you have a WP candidate and CEC member to vote for PAP when there is another opposition, and declared openly who he voted for,,,,, why would people vote for this clown. And he will be brought out again when the next election comes around and how can the oppositions rebut such proclamation?

That Yaw guy has without a doubt put a dent on the credibility of WP.

This is why Dr James Gomes would not want and should not be seen and be identified with such clowns. The WP leadership, instead of admonishing Yaw for voting PAP, also complicated matters by not sanctioning his actions.

Next we may have another WP candidate, say Sylvia Lim, proclaiming she has voted for PAP when she's fighting PAP's policies. Sinkies will be petrified!

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
James has always moved around his own agenda which in most cases applies to most people. In politics however, the perception is preferably society's agenda.

He began his political life with the feedback unit, and other government consultative bodies on politics and media. He was then briefly with Roundtable, then Think Cente. Then he went across to the WP. Realise hwo comprehensive the coverage is. These interactions and events delivered the material for his work and livelihood. Note his academic output and books and one gets the picture. The natural progression is NGO. You got give him credit for finding the formula.

Whose says that you can't mix business with pleasure.

I suspect that he will be the first to contest an elections behind the banner of an NGO. Very trendy in the west.

As an observer I do wonder why he joined WP in the first place and stayed on for 10 years if it is due to differences. I wonder if people realized that you're going to have this WP you have today the moment LTK too over, for good or bad. He's more to me like a political experimenter since he probably sees himself as a political scientist and like you said keeps moving to new places. Would not be surprised if he have stood for elections under every existing party that has a sense of life and a new party he formed by the end of his political career.

In Singapore NGO leaders have stood for elections in the past, but as independents. Maybe the new NGO is attempted to be a hybrid of an NGO plus party which is why the registration has not been approved.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an observer I do wonder why he joined WP in the first place and stayed on for 10 years if it is due to differences. I wonder if people realized that you're going to have this WP you have today the moment LTK too over, for good or bad. He's more to me like a political experimenter since he probably sees himself as a political scientist and like you said keeps moving to new places. Would not be surprised if he have stood for elections under every existing party that has a sense of life and a new party he formed by the end of his political career.

In Singapore NGO leaders have stood for elections in the past, but as independents. Maybe the new NGO is attempted to be a hybrid of an NGO plus party which is why the registration has not been approved.

Perspective, WP had a wonderful reputation. In no small part due to JBJ and David Marshall. Down the years, with the leadership changes, WP lost its bearings and became a toothless tiger.

JBJ and David Marshall fought for workers. The WP of today, would not even lift a finger for sinkies!

Last edited:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

You would probably see more independent strong willed individuals going "rouge" and striking out on their own. The side effect of an expanded NCMP scheme allows for this movement and a chance for people to strike out on their own. James was not the first nor will he be the last in the run up to a GE

The S and L team though has a leadership problem of some sorts. Perspective might spin it as being normal as being part of the game but however one puts it, losing GMS, CTL James Gomez, Wai Ling , Salim and potentially a couple more in the run up to a GE is a poor reflection in any sense of the ability of the party to hold together.

True one can always replace them with "Peak Oil" Choon Yong but heck do they have to keep on reinventing the damm wheel every four years

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, I think "political opportunitist" is more appropriate. His forays were on the government, grassroots side and it did not bear fruit. He was hoping that his days with an NUS institute and Feddback Unit would get him somewhere but it did not.

I have seen his moves since he came back from UK and his forays into various political dimension. But it was certainly time not wasted as he used it for his work and book.

His father, Thomas Gomez was no different. He crossed over from Chin Siong's Faction to Old man's. He founded the Singapore Manaual and Mercantile Union. The largest in NTUC.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perspective, WP had a wonderful reputation due in part to JBJ and David Marshall. Down the years, with the leadership changes, WP lost its bearings and became a toothless tiger.

We were talking about J Gomez and I'm sure he didn't join WP when JBJ was still there.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you on everything except when it comes to James. We are all were aware 2 years ago after his stint in Sweden and his return that he was biding his time with WP. Note that he let the membership expire. In his case, its not philosophical, psychological, etc. It was not a push factor. James is a well known net worker. He was not going to hang around. He was looking for the next bus. Its was also not about a couple falling out of love.

WP is certainly not travelling well. And I think its another story all together.

Dear Scroobal

You would probably see more independent strong willed individuals going "rouge" and striking out on their own. The side effect of an expanded NCMP scheme allows for this movement and a chance for people to strike out on their own. James was not the first nor will he be the last in the run up to a GE

The S and L team though has a leadership problem of some sorts. Perspective might spin it as being normal as being part of the game but however one puts it, losing GMS, CTL James Gomez, Wai Ling , Salim and potentially a couple more in the run up to a GE is a poor reflection in any sense of the ability of the party to hold together.

True one can always replace them with "Peak Oil" Choon Yong but heck do they have to keep on reinventing the damm wheel every four years

Locke

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There seems to be a trend amongst political parties in Singapore to gain credibility through the personality of some of its leaders or ex-leaders. The Reform Party for instance owes a large portion of its present popularity to the fact that JBJ was its founder. Kenneth Jeya is widely regarded in oppo circles only because JBJ was his dad.

So far there has not been a party that has gained reputability based on series of activities/campaigning rather than on personality.

Perspective, WP had a wonderful reputation. In no small part due to JBJ and David Marshall. Down the years, with the leadership changes, WP lost its bearings and became a toothless tiger.

JBJ and David Marshall fought for workers. The WP of today, would not even lift a finger for sinkies!

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Methink,

I don't think the Yaw guy has done as much damage as you think. He might have put off opposition supporters like yourself and many posters in this thread for instance, but the general public will not view his action so adversely.

Why do you think the mainstream media gave full coverage to yaw over this issue?

I think it is because they know his actions has the greatest impact of alienating fellow oppositions and fragmenting what is already a fragile structure. Cost benefit analysis: best to blow the issue up!!

To me the issue is a minor storm in a teacup.

In mature democracies, which is what our oppos claim to be aspiriing to achieve for singapore anyway, people cross sides often and yes, vote for each other often. No biggie.

That Yaw guy has without a doubt put a dent on the credibility of WP.

This is why Dr James Gomes would not want and should not be seen and be identified with such clowns. The WP leadership, instead of admonishing Yaw for voting PAP, also complicated matters by not sanctioning his actions.

Next we may have another WP candidate, say Sylvia Lim, proclaiming she has voted for PAP when she's fighting PAP's policies. Sinkies will be petrified!

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
And we were talking about the reputation of WP which I'm sure in no small part was due to JBJ when JBJ was the chief.

I'm talking about how people would jaywalk and explain that it was because they were chasing after a cat. Did you know?

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Perhaps :_)) Perhaps he just wanted to use the WP brand name for a while. I tend to view any political enterprise like an enterprise. If one keep's losing the top performers, the top sales generators, then something is wrong with the company and leadership not the people even though yes the people have flaws and egos.

Another unknown characteristic of LKY. His ability to be first amongst equals Primus Inter Pares, I do not think that Low being very chinese ed would understand the full implications of that concept.

Locke

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal

Perhaps :_)) Perhaps he just wanted to use the WP brand name for a while. I tend to view any political enterprise like an enterprise. If one keep's losing the top performers, the top sales generators, then something is wrong with the company and leadership not the people even though yes the people have flaws and egos.

Another unknown characteristic of LKY. His ability to be first amongst equals Primus Inter Pares, I do not think that Low being very chinese ed would understand the full implications of that concept.

Locke

Locke

Dear Locke,

If you continue your jabbing of WP, especially the leadership here on the forum, I don't think the WP members will be able to take it. They may even suspect that you are some agents sent into WP to collect information to make them look bad!

WP is after all, your party now. As a member, you will have your privileges but also obligations. You should email your critical views (which may be quite damaging at times) to the leadership if you feel strongly about them. Of course, unless some other people wanted to shut you up altogether, that is totally another matter.

Goh Meng Seng