• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking News : Bukit Batok MP David Ong resigns, citing personal reasons

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bukit Batok MP David Ong resigns, leaves PAP due to "personal reasons"; by-election to be held

davidong120316.jpg

People’s Action Party politician David Ong is resigning as the MP for Bukit Batok, and from his party, due to “personal reasons”.PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE - People's Action Party (PAP) politician David Ong, 54, is resigning as the Member of Parliament for Bukit Batok, and from his party, due to "personal reasons".

A by-election will be held for the single-seat ward, said the Prime Minister's Office in a statement on Saturday afternoon.

"David has worked hard as an MP and served his residents diligently. I thank him for his contributions," read the statement. "I intend to hold a by-election in Bukit Batok SMC in due course. In the meantime, Mr Desmond Lee, Senior Minister of State for Home Affairs and National Development and MP for Jurong GRC, will take care of Bukit Batok residents."

Mr Ong entered politics in the 2011 General Election and was elected as one of the MPs for Jurong GRC.

In the 2015 General Election, his ward was carved out as a single seat and saw a three-way fight between Mr Ong, Singapore Democratic Party candidate Sadasivam Veriyah, and independent Samir Salim Neji.

Mr Ong took 73 per cent of the vote, above the national average of 69.9 per cent.

In his letter of resignation to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, who is PAP's Secretary-General, Mr Ong wrote: "On 12 March 2016, I tendered my resignation as a Member of Parliament to the Speaker. I hereby also tender my resignation as a member of the People's Action Party with immediate effect. I am doing so for personal reasons, and with a heavy heart.

"I am grateful to my Bukit Batok residents for the opportunity to serve them as their MP, and for the strong support they have given me. I have done my best to perform my responsibilities, and deeply apologise for having to step down prematurely.

"I also want to express my strongest appreciation to the grassroots leaders and activists of Bukit Batok for their dedication and commitment in working alongside me to help build and meet the needs of the community. Finally, I would like to thank the Party for enabling me to serve Singapore as an MP over the last six years."

His mid-term resignation is the first since 2012, a year in which two MPs in single seats - one from the PAP, one from the opposition - left their respective parties and triggered by-elections.

In February 2012, after rumours of an extramarital affair with a fellow party member, Workers' Party (WP) MP Yaw Shin Leong was expelled from his party.

This left the single-seat ward of Hougang vacant, leading to a by-election in May. The WP held onto the long-term opposition ward, with newcomer Png Eng Huat taking 62.1 per cent of the vote.

In December that same year, then-Speaker of Parliament Michael Palmer resigned, admitting to an extramarital affair with a staff member of the People's Association who had been working in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC.

The single-seat ward of Punggol East saw a four-way fight in the January 2013 by-election, in which WP candidate Lee Li Lian emerged victorious with 54.5 per cent of the vote. But veteran MP Charles Chong retook the ward for the PAP in the 2015 GE.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Breaking News :

Bukit Batok MP David Ong resigns,
leaves PAP due to "personal reasons";
by-election to be held

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
samirsalim3.png

Mr Samir Salim Neji (left) greeting PAP candidate David Ong during Nomination Day.

SPH FILE PHOTO
The biggest losers of GE2015
- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/biggest-losers-ge2015#sthash.SI9WBgG8.dpuf

Sep 12, 2015 12:30am

Since Singapore gained independence in 1965, only two candidates have secured less than 1 per cent of the vote.

On Friday (Sept 11), two more candidates - independent candidate Samir Salim Neji, 45, and the National Solidarity Party's Cheo Chai Chen - added their names to this small group.

Both candidates were involved in three-cornered fights in single member constituencies - Mr Samir in Bukit Batok SMC and Mr Cheo in MacPherson SMC.

Mr Samir, the managing director of software firm Anaplan Asia, secured just 150 of the vote in Bukit Batok SMC. That translates to 0.6 per cent of the 24,939 votes cast in all.

The People's Action Party's David Ong won the seat with 72.99 per cent of the vote,

while the other candidate, Singapore Democratic Party's Sadasivam Veriyah, secured 26.4 per cent

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any in-the-know Samsters here know why?

Mr Ong took 73 per cent of the vote, above the national average of 69.9 per cent.

In his letter of resignation to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, who is PAP's Secretary-General, Mr Ong wrote: "On 12 March 2016, I tendered my resignation as a Member of Parliament to the Speaker. I hereby also tender my resignation as a member of the People's Action Party with immediate effect. I am doing so for personal reasons, and with a heavy heart.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now the chance for CSJ to stand in the coming by-election and get into Parliament.

The People's Action Party's David Ong won the seat with 72.99 per cent of the vote,

while the other candidate, Singapore Democratic Party's Sadasivam Veriyah, secured 26.4 per cent.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
No pappies MP in his right mind will opt for voluntary resignation unless he is caught in an immoral affair or malpractice in the corporate world which is an embarrassment to his status as an MP in particular and a political liability to pappies in general.

Pappies MP gets to enjoy perks, privileges and benefits which no one in pappies will give up willingly unless told to fuck off by leadership. More news surely akan datang and CSJ will be excitedly waiting to contest.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No pappies MP in his right mind will opt for voluntary resignation unless he is caught in an immoral affair or malpractice in the corporate world which is an embarrassment to his status as an MP in particular and a political liability to pappies in general.

Pappies MP gets to enjoy perks, privileges and benefits which no one in pappies will give up willingly unless told to fuck off by leadership. More news surely akan datang and CSJ will be excitedly waiting to contest.

That's right. I think likely to be pussy.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now the chance for CSJ to stand in the coming by-election and get into Parliament.

By Kamini Devadass
Posted 26 Jul 2015 17:15

SDP will contest in Bukit Batok SMC, Chee Soon Juan confirms

It will be a homecoming of sorts, says the Singapore Democratic Party Secretary-General, with Bukit Batok the scene of two close fights with the People's Action Party in 1988 and 1991.

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Democratic Party will contest in Bukit Batok Single Member Constituency, according to Secretary-General Dr Chee Soon Juan.

Dr Chee was speaking to reporters after the party's walkabout at Bukit Batok on Sunday morning (Jul 26). The area is one of three Single Member Constituencies (SMCs) that were reintroduced to the political landscape when the electoral boundaries report was released on Friday.

Why Bukit Batok? Dr Chee said the party was "coming home".

"You know that the SDP has been here before, before this constituency got redrawn into Jurong GRC. So in a way we are coming home. This has been our place. We've been running a campaign, and you will probably also remember that we won Bukit Gombak here and when we contested Bukit Batok, we did very well.

"We feel very good that we are stepping into this single seat again."

In 1988 and 1991, People's Action Party candidate Ong Chit Chung saw off the SDP's Kwan Yue Keng in two close fights, winning by 55.9 and 51.8 per cent of the vote, respectively. That translated to an 858-vote margin in 1991, the last election at the SMC before it was dissolved ahead of the 1997 GE.

The party is also considering contesting in the same areas as it did in the last election, Dr Chee said. SDP had contested in Holland-Bukit Timah and Sembawang Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) as well as Bukit Panjang and Yuhua SMCs in 2011.

But he remained mum on which constituency he will personally contest in. He was barred from running at the 2006 and 2011 elections because he was a bankrupt.

"The most important thing really, for me, is to get into Parliament. To press, push for these fresh alternatives and to ensure we have that kind of intelligent, substantive debate in Parliament. And I am relishing this opportunity right now," he said.

- CNA/es

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sdp-will-contest-in-bukit/2008854.html

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

while the other candidate, Singapore Democratic Party's Sadasivam Veriyah, secured 26.4 per cent.

This kek leng kia is a political unknown whereas CSJ is a political veteran, pak see buay chow type, still hanging loose in the country. Never run away, just bidding his time. If CSJ cannot get more than 26.4% in coming by-election in 2 way fight with pappies, he can kiss his own ass and call it quits.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Insider news (inside my cosy massage chair, that is), David Ong may be resigning to jump ship to opposition party in by-election representing opposition, since he won 73% and voters knows him. By-election opposition sure win.

Brilliant strategy.

Why? His personal reason. Craziness nay be one of them.

And talking about conspiracy theory! Btw, any one find the letter 'g' following the salutation 'Dear' in David's letter and LHL's letter similar?

David Ong should be transparent and announce hus reason, even though is 'personal' as public trust is involved.

Last edited:

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ is a dumb head if he does not stand in the coming by-election. All oppies should let CSJ slug it out with the pappies in a two corner fight and see how he performs in Parliament if elected.

If he is as good in Parliament as others had perceived of him during the rallies in last GE, his political future is assured. Otherwise, if he is another Chen Show Mao, quiet as a lamb in Parliament, he is a goner in politics.