• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BREAKING: Charles Chong reply to Wayangparty's queries !

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear readers,

I just receive a reply from Charles Chong. I had written to Charles Chong yesterday seeking clarification for his “lesser mortal" remarks.

I have attached the content of his email reply, word for word, completely unmoderated below.

If you do notice, he sounds more agreeable and cordial though he stopped short of expressing any remorse or regret for his remarks. Was he quoted out of context ? We leave you to judge for yourselves.

Charles Chong’s reply to Eugene Yeo, Chief Editor, Wayangparty Club, 21 January 2009:

Hi Eugene,

Yes, the newspaper article certainly appears to have created quite a furore. It was definitely not my intention to cause such a storm or to denigrade anyone. I have already replied to a number of queries sent to me - some wanted clarification while others just wanted to express their views.

Read Charles Chong's letter here:

http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/21/breaking-charles-chong-reply-to-wayangparty/

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
(1) Well, it would seem that WayangParty has established itself a certain amount of creditability for MP Charles to write in response to your query :smile:.

I think you all can give yourself a pat on the back for your efforts.

(2) MP Charles, as usual, is quite candid. The issue at hand is not the large salary that Mr Tan, Permanent Secretary, earned because that is via the mandate of the PAP Government.

Thus the issue of unhappiness and envy, if any, which MP Charles alluded to, in reality lies with the PAP's method of governance.

I leave this to the opposition parties to comment, if they are so inclined.

(3) Thus, whilst there are strong dissatisfaction with the PAP's policies, we also need to see if there is a viable alternative and indeed evidence of the alternative as demonstrated by the opposition.

If not, then the question is if we should vote against the PAP in the face of an incompetent opposition, in order to moderate PAP's style of governance.

That in turn carries its own risk.

But if there is no other way of changing the PAP's style of governance, then either we stomach all these issues or proceed with the risk.

There's still some time before the Election so it is worthwhile (1) for us voters to think through this, (2) for the PAP to show that they have the people's interests at heart and (3) for the opposition to proactively demonstrate their value.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh? 6 paragraphs of "nothing"...

Guys like him make a living out of saying nothing and everything at the same time.

They are never at blame, always neutral and always aloof.

Build a relationship with Charles and keep him as a contact if you can... He will bestow many interesting quotes to "(us) lesser mortals"...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
(2) MP Charles, as usual, is quite candid. The issue at hand is not the large salary that Mr Tan, Permanent Secretary, earned because that is via the mandate of the PAP Government.
Unless I read a different reply, he completely avoided the question. He actually talked at length about the Perm Sec. I thought the issue was "lesser mortals"

He would never have replied in that manner if it was meant for the press. He would have been crucified by the readers. This is probably the worst case of patronising by a PAP Mp that I have seen.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh? 6 paragraphs of "nothing"...

Guys like him make a living out of saying nothing and everything at the same time.

They are never at blame, always neutral and always aloof.

Build a relationship with Charles and keep him as a contact if you can... He will bestow many interesting quotes to "(us) lesser mortals"...

Absolutely agree - pure hot air about nothing.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless I read a different reply, he completely avoided the question. He actually talked at length about the Perm Sec. I thought the issue was "lesser mortals"

He would never have replied in that manner if it was meant for the press. He would have been crucified by the readers. This is probably the worst case of patronising by a PAP Mp that I have seen.
He was trying to create the impression that he is one of the "lesser mortals" by inserting the word, " us " i.e. identifying with the common people and therefore, is not one of the "elites".

In the article, he was quoted as :“Maybe it made lesser mortals envious and they thought maybe he was a little bit boastful,” he said. “Would people have taken offence if his wife (a senior investment counsellor at a bank) had paid for everything?”

Would he have used, "they" if he considers himself to be one of the "lesser mortals" as he asserts by inserting the word," us " in front of "lesser mortals"? It fails to stand up to the test in the context.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was trying to create the impression that he is one of the "lesser mortals" by inserting the word, " us " i.e. identifying with the common people and therefore, is not one of the "elites".
Yes, I noticed that. He has now painted a picture of Perm Sec as god.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are right about the disconnect in that portion of my post. I should have placed it in a new line.

What happened was that after I read MP Charles' reply, I felt that this whole business was really futile.

It is not as though there will not be similar issues in the future.

@@@@@

In talking about Tan Yong Soon, Permanent Secretary, the focus is on an employee of the Civil Service.

In talking about 'lesser mortals', the focus is on the perception of a prominent member of the ruling party regarding the people who are ruled.

The first was perhaps thoughtlessness on the part of a civil servant.

The second carries the question if this opinion is echoed by the rest of the PAP.

Thus it is preferable to focus on Tan Yong Soon rather than 'lesser mortals'

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Short memory, you guys all!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4tUBcyC8co&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L4tUBcyC8co&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>