• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Book Launch Announcement 4 Singapore Sucks!

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Book Launch for Singapore Sucks!

Many books have been written about Singapore, but few, unlike Singapore Sucks!, showcase the grim and gritty reality, hidden carefully behind a façade of clean shopping centres and gleaming office towers, that ordinary Singaporeans live in.

Singapore Sucks! is an eclectic collection of short stories, essays and poems, written by a panel of largely Singaporean writers and compiled into one single volume by Singa Crew, who is also the editor and one of the contributing writers. The writings, packed with humour and insolent honesty, convey that peculiar brand of insanity that can only be described as Uniquely Singapore.

Port Tumasik, an artists-run initiative that strives to provide an inclusive and all-encompassing art and social space will be hosting a book launch event for Singapore Sucks!. The details of the book launch are:

Singapore Sucks!

with Writer and Editor

Singa Crew

Sunday, December 11, 2011
2pm – 5pm

@
Port Tumasik
24A Bali Lane, Singapore 189860
(5 minutes walk from Bugis MRT station)​

Singa Crew, the man behind Singapore Sucks!, will be on-site to answer questions about the book. To RSVP to this event, please contact Singa Crew at [email protected] or do so via the event page on Facebook.

* Some of my invited guests are camera shy. Therefore, there will be strictly no photography at the book launch. Guests are advised to keep their mobile phones and/or cameras where the sun doesn't shine.**

** I mean in your bags or pockets.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Got Ipad version? With Ipad version...u can reach out beyond stinkieland easier...:biggrin::biggrin:

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, there won't be any freebies. I am not backed by a big company like SPH, okay. :smile:

BUT, just for the day of the launch, I will be selling the books (what stock I have left) at a discounted rate. Books sold individually will be priced at just 12 dollars per copy. And any one customer who purchases 3 or more copies will be able to buy the books at just 10 dollars per copy.

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay, due to some last minute changes, Port Tumasik cannot host the event on the 3rd of December (Saturday). So I have to change the date. The new date for the launch will be: Sunday, 11 December, 2011. Time (2pm-5pm) and location remain the same.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
who buy books these days? put it on ibooks then we talk. I have itune accounts for both USA and UK. As long you can sell from these two itune shops. It is fine.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm interesting. thugh i really dun like bugis area and i work on that day. could u guys convince any national libraries to carry your book???

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. i guess i shall grab at least 2 books for friends down under.
2. to see the real sheepishland from the sheep's eyes.

Last edited:

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sammyboy forumers got discount bo? :biggrin:

since all the bros here always sucked up in this pee sai ...:S

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm interesting. thugh i really dun like bugis area and i work on that day. could u guys convince any national libraries to carry your book???

Hi, we have already sent a copy of the book to NLB. If you do a search on NLB computers, you can see that my book is in their database, but listed as "not available for loan yet".

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sammyboy forumers got discount bo? :biggrin:

since all the bros here always sucked up in this pee sai ...:S

Sure got discount lah! Not just for Sammyboy forum members but for anyone who attends the launch. We are selling the books at below retail price that day. 12 dollars per copy. And if any one customer buys 3 or more copies, I am selling them at just 10 dollars per copy. Sales of the book will begin right after the announcements and Q&A session. We are setting aside one and a half hour for all the obligatory stuff a book launch should have, then we start selling the books at 3.30pm. The whole event will end at 5pm.

So if you are just visiting to buy the books, you should probably visit between 3.30pm and 5pm.

Singa Crew

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contest Announcement: As a prelude to my book launch, I would like to announce a Photo Contest to be held on my fan page.

The theme of the contest is, well, Singapore Sucks. All I need you to do is to take an interesting picture with the words “Singapore Sucks!” appearing as part of the scenery. The words may appear on posters, hand held placards, pieces of cardboards or even spray-painted on walls. Well, on your bedroom wall maybe. Just not on the public ones because vandalism is a crime.

Anyway, do you get the idea now?

I will create a special album on the fan page just for the contest photos and the photo that gets the highest number of “likes” at 12 noon on the 10th of December (Saturday) will be the contest winner. The winner will receive a twenty dollar Kinokuniya book voucher and a free copy (signed of course) of my book. I can either announce the contest winner at my launch, or if he so prefers, I can issue a pass code via email and the winner may approach the sales table during the launch and collect his prize discreetly. Up to you really.

Because Facebook fan pages do not allow fans to upload pictures to specific albums, and all uploaded photos will just go on the Wall. But I have a solution. All contest entries may be emailed to me at [email protected] and I will upload them to the album for you.

Cut-off date for submissions will be at midnight on the 1st of December. Please include your Facebook monikers if you wish me to tag you on your photos. If you wish to remain anonymous, let me know what moniker you wish me to use for your submission. I am not going to just put up “Submission from Anonymous”.

Singa Crew

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sure got discount lah! Not just for Sammyboy forum members but for anyone who attends the launch.

I did a search for it on my Kindle but the search returns zero results. When will it be available at the Kindle store?

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did a search for it on my Kindle but the search returns zero results. When will it be available at the Kindle store?

Hi Leongsam, I don't think my publisher has ever published soft copies of their titles. I did mention to them about selling on Kindle but I don't think they have plans to do so.

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also, for obvious reasons, the photo contest is only open to people living in Singapore. If you live overseas, but can make a physical appearance at the launch, go ahead and send in your submission! :-)

Singa Crew

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi Leongsam, I don't think my publisher has ever published soft copies of their titles. I did mention to them about selling on Kindle but I don't think they have plans to do so.

You're missing out an a shit load of revenue!

There is a huge market for these sorts of books especially amongst those sinkies who have left the country.

They left because they hate the damned place and any book which validates their decision to leave is a definite download even if they aren't really interested in the contents :wink: They do it as a show of support for someone who has resisted the brainwashing.

You've already lost 60% of the market in Singapore for the simple reason that those who vote PAP don't want to read any sort of content that shows them up for the idiots that they are.

Had your book been available on kindle, you'd have earned your cut of my USD9.95 by now.

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're missing out an a shit load of revenue!

There is a huge market for these sorts of books especially amongst those sinkies who have left the country.

They left because they hate the damned place and any book which validates their decision to leave is a definite download even if they aren't really interested in the contents :wink: They do it as a show of support for someone who has resisted the brainwashing.

You've already lost 60% of the market in Singapore for the simple reason that those who vote PAP don't want to read any sort of content that shows them up for the idiots that they are.

Had your book been available on kindle, you'd have earned your cut of my USD9.95 by now.

Well, yeah, I understand where you are coming from. But really, as a noob writer, I have little or next to no clout at all. I don't really have a say when it comes to publishing or distributing.

Singa Crew

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I doubt they hate the place which they once called home. It's LKY & Co that most people dislike & their policies that is turning Spore into a sorry place. :(