• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

    The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bomb threat: stern warning. Don't shake hands: $500 fine


Alfrescian (Inf)

Football: Three Sailors fined $500 each by FAS for failing to perform post-match handshake​


Sailors’ Maxime Lestienne (centre), Diego Lopes (right) and Kim Shin-wook (not in picture) have each been fined $500. ST PHOTO: GIN TAY

Deepanraj Ganesan

NOV 3, 2022

SINGAPORE – Less than three months after the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) slapped a $5,000 fine on the Lion City Sailors for the team’s conduct during a fiery Singapore Premier League (SPL) clash with Tampines Rovers, the privatised club have been taken to task again.
Belgian winger Maxime Lestienne, South Korean forward Kim Shin-wook and Brazilian playmaker Diego Lopes have each been fined $500 for refusing to shake their opponents’ hands after their 1-1 draw with the Young Lions in a Singapore Cup tie on Monday. The trio are the biggest names and the best-paid players in the SPL, with Kim and Lestienne reportedly on million-dollar contracts.
In response to queries from The Straits Times, the FAS confirmed that the trio have been fined as the post-match handshake is mandatory.
Under Article 31.1 of the Singapore Cup 2022 regulations, it states that: “Players from both the teams are required to assemble at the centre circle with the match officials for a post-match handshake. Any player who fails to do so shall be issued with a mandatory fine of $500.”
The FAS added that this is the first time this season that a player has been found guilty of this offence.
Lopes, 28, became the SPL’s first million-dollar player in January 2021 when the Sailors paid €1.8 million (S$2.89 million) to Portuguese Primeira Liga side Rio Ave for his services.
Kim, 34, then became the league’s highest-paid footballer last November when he was signed on a three-year deal that is understood to be worth more than $3 million.

In February, Lestienne, 30, became the Sailors’ latest star signing when he inked a two-year deal. The Sailors declined to reveal the total cost of his package then.
The match on Monday was a keenly-contested affair despite the fact that SPL runners-up Sailors ended the recently-concluded league 49 points ahead of the Young Lions, who finished bottom of the eight-team competition. The game saw seven yellow cards dished out, with four shown to the Young Lions and three to the Sailors.
There was also a controversial moment in the 69th minute when Kim, who had already been booked earlier in the game, avoided a second yellow card despite looking like he had caught Young Lions captain Shah Shahiran with an elbow. The South Korean forward went on to score his side’s equaliser five minutes later.

Badri Ghent, the Sailors’ sporting director, said the three players have apologised for their conduct.
He said: “Their actions were borne out of frustration from the team’s performance and the result of that game, and they have given their firm commitment to ensuring there will be no repeat of such actions.
“The club does not condone unsportsmanlike behaviour and will not contest the fines that have been meted out.”
It has not been the most memorable year for the Sailors, apart from a historic Asian Champions League campaign, where their tally of seven points meant they had the best showing by a Singapore side in the tournament. Their run included a 3-0 victory over South Korean team Daegu FC.
In October, they surrendered the SPL title to Albirex Niigata. And in August, the Sailors and Tampines Rovers were sanctioned by the FAS over incidents that took place during, and after, their SPL encounter.
Sailors head coach Kim Do-hoon – who has since parted ways with the club – received a $2,000 fine and a three-match suspension for violent conduct and the two clubs were also fined $5,000 each for the conduct of their teams.

On the football front, they are staring at an embarrassingly early exit from the Singapore Cup.
They have just two points in Group A after draws with the Young Lions and Balestier Khalsa in their opening matches.
They will have to beat Albirex in their final group match on Saturday to progress to the semi-finals. A draw will not be enough if either Balestier or the Young Lions are able to win in their clash.
The Sailors’ recent run has piled the pressure on interim coach Luka Lalic, who succeeded Kim. In 11 local matches which include the SPL and Singapore Cup, the Serb, who is the technical director of the Sailors’ academy, has a 45.4 per cent win rate while his predecessor, who oversaw 20 local matches this season, had a win rate of 70 per cent.
A season-ending knee injury to key Brazilian defender Pedro Henrique in September has not helped. And an early Cup exit on Saturday against Albirex will compound a miserable campaign.


Alfrescian (Inf)

Forum: Relook $500 fine for first-time offence of not shaking hands in S’pore Cup​

Nov 8, 2022


I refer to the news that the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) fined three footballers $500 each for failing to perform the post-match handshake which is mandatory under the regulations of the 2022 Singapore Cup (Football: Three Sailors fined $500 each by FAS for failing to perform post-match handshake, Nov 3).
Refusing to shake opponents’ hands after a match is unsportsmanlike behaviour and should not be condoned. However, FAS should consider changing its regulations to first consider using other disciplinary measures for a first-time offence, such as issuing a caution or suspending a player for a number of matches. In this case, the footballers have apologised for their behaviour, and have given their firm commitment to ensuring there will be no repeat of such actions.
While FAS works hard to promote fair play in football, it should also review that its regulations are fair and calibrated.

Benjamin Ng C.K.


Alfrescian (Inf)

American who made bomb threat on SIA flight to get stern warning​


The plane was escorted to Changi Airport by RSAF fighter jets after American Hien Duc's bomb threat on Sept 28. PHOTOS: VERA@VERATHEAPE/TWITTER

Jessie Lim

OCT 27, 2022

SINGAPORE - The 37-year-old man who claimed there was a bomb on board a Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight is set to receive a stern warning for using threatening words.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Lim Ying Min said on Thursday that the prosecution intends to issue a stern warning to Hien Duc after reviewing a report from the Institute of Mental Health (IMH).
American Hien Duc was one of 208 passengers on board SQ33, which left San Francisco at 10.26pm on Sept 26 (1.26pm on Sept 27, Singapore time). The flight was scheduled to arrive in Singapore at 5am on Sept 28.
In her written submissions, DPP Lim had said a psychiatrist from IMH had assessed that Hien Duc posed a danger to the public.
She added: “The stressors of being in a foreign country, including the fact that he has no fixed place to stay and no one to monitor his compliance with his medications, are risk factors for relapse.”
Hien Duc’s lawyer Johannes Hadi, from Eugene Thuraisingam law firm, told The Straits Times his client has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Hien Duc is also expected to plead guilty to a charge of slapping a man while on board SQ33.

Preliminary investigations revealed that nearly six hours before the plane’s arrival in Singapore, he claimed there was a bomb in a hand-carry bag.
He then grabbed another passenger’s luggage from the cabin’s overhead compartment.
When a cabin crew tried to intervene and restrain him, Hien Duc allegedly assaulted him.
Checks by the cabin crew did not reveal any suspicious items in the passenger’s luggage.
Police were alerted to the alleged bomb threat and the plane was escorted to Changi Airport by Republic of Singapore Air Force fighter jets.

Police were alerted to the alleged bomb threat and SQ33 was escorted to Changi Airport by Republic of Singapore Air Force fighter jets. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
The Airport Police Division and Special Operations Command’s K-9 Unit, as well as the Singapore Armed Forces’ Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Explosives Defence Group, were mobilised to investigate, and the threat turned out to be false.
Hien Duc will return to court to plead guilty on Nov 4. For voluntarily causing hurt, he can be jailed up to three years, fined up to $5,000, or both. For using threatening words likely to cause alarm, he can be fined up to $5,000.