• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"Blur fuck" Sinkie drowns at Franz Josef Glacier...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
They probably thought a walk by the Waiho river was like an evening stroll along Boat Quay.

h-nzheraldlogo-sans.gif

Police release names of drowned tourists

2:49 PM Monday Dec 12, 2011

Police have released the names of two tourists who drowned when they were swept down a river at Franz Josef on Friday night.

They were Poi Moy Tan, a 31-year-old woman from Singapore and Yu-Ling Chen, a 28-year-old woman from Taiwan. West Coast search and rescue co-ordinator sergeant Sean Judd said four tourists - one man and three women - went for a walk near Franz Josef Glacier about 9.30pm.

The group decided to cross the glacier-fed Waiho River between the glacier and State Highway 6 when it started to get dark to save time getting back to their vehicle, Mr Judd said.

The man and one woman cross successfully before seeing the other two women knocked off their feet and swept away.

The remaining two raised the alarm and a search was launched about 11pm, with the Solid Energy Rescue Helicopter spotting the bodies soon after.

Helicopter pilot Angus Taylor said the first woman's body was spotted after 45 minutes of searching, about 1km upstream from the State Highway 6 bridge in Franz Josef and several kilometres from where the group had tried to cross the river. The second body was found another kilometre downstream.
- APNZ

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
didnt they have a guide?

I thought it was compulsory at the glaciers

Not compulsory to have a guide although it is recommended. The prices for a guided tour can be quite steep. Glaciers can be very dangerous places if you don't know what you are doing and appearances can be very deceptive.

Please do not judge the outdoors in other countries with your experiences in Singapore. Death is not as unlikely as you think.

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes i agree with you on this being a really dangerous environment. Guides are expensive but the big picture should be safety.

If they could afford a holiday surely they could have afforded a guide.

Something for all of us to learn and remember i guess.

Not compulsory to have a guide although it is recommended. The prices for a guided tour can be quite steep. Glaciers can be very dangerous places if you don't know what you are doing and appearances can be most deceiving.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
didnt they have a guide?

I thought it was compulsory at the glaciers

"Compulsory"???? There are no laws against stupidity in NZ. Besides there are millions of square km of wilderness out there. What do you expect?... security guards at 100 metre intervals?

You're as clueless as those tourists.

The best part of NZ life [or worst if you expect to be told what you can and cannot do] is the complete lack of controls over most aspects of day to day living. Anyone can go out and buy a boat, launch it without having a clue about maritime laws, seamanship skills or radio communication, and set off into the sunset without a care in the world. In fact, many do just that and are never heard of again. :p

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sadly many of Singaporeans are too sheltered here to be aware of dangers, they are smart but not street smart.

blame the education system.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sadly many of Singaporeans are too sheltered here to be aware of dangers, they are smart but not street smart.

blame the education system.

hi there

1. red, not all sheep are smart leh.
2. some are just book smart.
3. throw such sheep into wilderness.
4. die within the first 24 hours.
5. die of no internet access!

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
I was indeed a blur Fxxk and was nearly killed when i was there for a month..
i underestimate the road conditions,driving my rented honda from hamilton to visit my friend in palmerston north
i drive like a F1 driver on the highway,truck drivers horning at me overtaking them,ignoring speed cameras sign and nearly running over some rabbits dashing across the road..same same like driving from yong peng to taiping lah...but the fun stops when near mt taranaki
the road was much slippery and rounding the sharp bend the signage was in numbers not the arrows sign that we see here,
i lost control of my car and i say to myself thats it,close my eyes and wait for the good lord to take me home..gone habis..
just as it was heading down towards a ravine,it hit a small shrubs and miraculously stopped.
the kind truck driver whom i overtook earlier chided me for driving help me to tow the car back onto the road..
from that day onwards..i drive like a tortise.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
hahaha :p

i survived the glacier and i survived skinnydipping in lake tekapo during a winter's night.
:o
"Compulsory"???? There are no laws against stupidity in NZ. Besides there are millions of square km of wilderness out there. What do you expect?... security guards at 100 metre intervals?

You're as clueless as those tourists.
The best part of NZ life [or worst if you expect to be told what you can and cannot do] is the complete lack of controls over most aspects of day to day living. Anyone can go out and buy a boat, launch it without having a clue about maritime laws, seamanship skills or radio communication, and set off into the sunset without a care in the world. In fact, many do just that and are never heard of again. :p