• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Big difference among Australian cities?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know you expressed to move professionally to the UK in the past. Its actually worse in the UK but some much better in US where asians and IT are well regarded and supported. You find very elderly chaps with senior positions in IT plodding along failing to upgrade themselves. The young ones are Americans and the coolies are the Asians. The Americans end up doing the leading edge work while the rest just do support.

The UK cost of living is much cheaper after taking out accommodation. So make sure that you go for a big number to cover the inequality.

BTW, The person same level as me is also an Asian, though he's a long timer here.

Well, many years ago i worked for an American firm and a Malaysian guy relocated to the HQ and was offered a VP position ;had his own office and leading a big team. However, he was layoff not long after (not sure whats his status now). America definitely is ahead in culture acceptance and reward perfomers regardless of race or genda (provided u speak like an American) but its going through a economy reform after GFC and there will be heaps of recession cycles in many years to come, it will be tough to get in and expect a senior position upfront.
i mentioned london its because its still the best place for gaining experience for banking professionals.

Australia - i would only say Sydney /or Melb are the only 2 cities i would call for a decent career especially for minorities/asians as there's simply not enough talents; and Asians are known to be hardworking and intelligent. my assumptions rest of the cities are still lacking behind, and backwards.

Unless u are in sales or marketing or in any role bringing in revenue or else you'll still a support staff, anywhere in the world.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal said:
Never ever take a role or function which is essentially support. They are treated as servants

Unless u are in sales or marketing or in any role bringing in revenue or else you'll still a support staff, anywhere in the world.

I'm working in backend development in the in-house IT department of an MNC. We just happen to share premises with the business team - every single day we can hear them on the phones doing multi-million dollar contracts and tenders.

The divide between the two teams is so obvious... they basically treat us like we're invisible.

Unfortunately programming is my talent, at least for this stage of my career. We all have to do the hard yards, I guess.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I first started life as a young working adult, I drew one conclusion very quickly. Never ever take a role or function which is essentially support.

What would you recommend? Get into a company whose core competency is IT? The problem with that is there aren't too many IT companies in Australia... it's hard to get a foot in the door.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Since you are young, build a roadmap. Engineers have the same challenge. For them its PUB, PWD where they are recognised amongst their peers or make a conscious career change by moving into mainstream banking etc. Many engineers have become bankers. Others have gone into Management by design. It is also no surprise that many engineers run their own businesses

For IT, there are many medium size IT companies that are not well known but have big ticket items that are revenue drivers.

What would you recommend? Get into a company whose core competency is IT? The problem with that is there aren't too many IT companies in Australia... it's hard to get a foot in the door.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Make sure the terms are on par. See if you can get Anercano as boss. If you need help on London terms, just ask on this forum. The Banks in London are gearing up for the upturn and they bound to seek more headcounts.

i mentioned london its because its still the best place for gaining experience for banking professionals.

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The same thing is happening in Singapore and its singapopreans who are getting screwed by smooth talking angmos. We are talking about underqualified and underperforming foreign arseholes and sadly in their own backyard.

Methinks you are referring to the well known politically correct term "conventional idiocy" here. Just because some believe its true is it? Unfortunately Singaporeans are prone to such mainstream ideals. Our Government will have you know they are behaving intrinsically altruistic; however this elevation of foreign skills over local talent is woefully misplaced. How many times have we seen the nett effects of foreign incompetence just to have hardworking Singaporeans mop up the mess?

Yet another attempt of the regime to belittle the people to keep control by damaging the psyche of those who support the vertiable pack of cards we call Singapore.

Sigh.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BTW, The person same level as me is also an Asian, though he's a long timer here.

Once you graduate from "London", you are set for life when you return to the Aussie bank. Or has things changed after the GFC?

Australia - i would only say Sydney /or Melb are the only 2 cities i would call for a decent career especially for minorities/asians as there's simply not enough talents; and Asians are known to be hardworking and intelligent. my assumptions rest of the cities are still lacking behind, and backwards.

It is hard for Singaporean migrant to gain the toehold in sales or marketing. Angmos have problems dealing with Asian salespeople who do not have Aussie accents.

Some Indians managed to do it. Anyone in Perth buying doors at Door Plus, Osborne Park will encounter a smooth-talking Indian who will sell anyone a dead horse, and people find his Indian accent very sweet esp if you are getting them for the whole house.

But the moment he finds out that you are just after a replacement door, he will hide his peacock feathers instantly, his expression turns hostile and he is no longer interested in dealing with you. :biggrin: He will just return to his desk and let you hang around, wondering if the show is over.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some Indians managed to do it. Anyone in Perth buying doors at Door Plus, Osborne Park will encounter a smooth-talking Indian who will sell anyone a dead horse, and people find his Indian accent very sweet esp if you are getting them for the whole house.

But the moment he finds out that you are just after a replacement door, he will hide his peacock feathers instantly, his expression turns hostile and he is no longer interested in dealing with you. :biggrin: He will just return to his desk and let you hang around, wondering if the show is over.

Actually, when I go shopping for items, car, house-hold appliances, tv etc, I find the ang mohs to talk to rather then the "asians". Don't know why, maybe I just got sick of their BS.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Methinks you are referring to the well known politically correct term "conventional idiocy" here. Just because some believe its true is it? Unfortunately Singaporeans are prone to such mainstream ideals. Our Government will have you know they are behaving intrinsically altruistic; however this elevation of foreign skills over local talent is woefully misplaced. How many times have we seen the nett effects of foreign incompetence just to have hardworking Singaporeans mop up the mess?

Yet another attempt of the regime to belittle the people to keep control by damaging the psyche of those who support the vertiable pack of cards we call Singapore.

Sigh.

Very well said!!!

Clap Clap Clap

Its also known as the herd mentality but it also pokes them in the eye too. For example you see Sinkees going to the same place for every holiday and its never works out for them i.e. crowds. Same goes for their choices in housing, even migration too. I am so glad I never chose Australia for example.

Listen up people, just because its popular among Sinkees does not mean its the case. Sinkees need to learn to think outside the box.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very well said!!!

Clap Clap Clap

Its also known as the herd mentality but it also pokes them in the eye too. For example you see Sinkees going to the same place for every holiday and its never works out for them i.e. crowds. Same goes for their choices in housing, even migration too. I am so glad I never chose Australia for example.

Listen up people, just because its popular among Sinkees does not mean its the case. Sinkees need to learn to think outside the box.

OMG? Ain't you building planes?

But you are quite right about Singaporean herd mentality.

While following the safari animal migration in Masai & Serengeti, I noticed an animal very simple to Singaporean, the wildebeest. How they stayed timidly on the shore until one took the lead to plunge headon to croc-infested river. The rest followed in the same fate.

This behaviour is not seen in Australians who seen to wonder off in all directions. Perhaps, there is a thing or 2 to learn from Aussies.

Wonder why 80-90% of the Singaporeans cannot make it in Australia. Those are the ones who follow blindly after those who made the calculated move.

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very well said!!!

Clap Clap Clap

It was not my intention to denounce; rarther to draw attention to the plight of Singaporeans who cannot think for themselves. We must stop practising the societal norm; the blind follow the pied piper even today.

As far as emigration is concerned, it is little wonder so many Singaoporeans fail. Expecting them to think for themselves is tantamount to a Singaporean taking responsibility for themselves. They are ill equiped. They crave instant gratification. Pavlov might have chosen our sordid netizens as a substitute.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
The same thing is happening in Singapore and its singapopreans who are getting screwed by smooth talking angmos. We are talking about underqualified and underperforming foreign arseholes and sadly in their own backyard.

in sg, we would say, "those who come arent good, and those that are good, wont come."

i have worked with IT seasoned professionals here in oz that have well over 20+ of development experiences, from mainframe era to the current technology. im totally blown away by their depth of knowledge. Not all are like that though.

im totally pissed by those "FT"s that i had worked with back in sg. total indians, prcs, and british, total rip off. now they are advertising for more FTs to fill in the post of both finance and IT in sg. and my peers are driving taxis as no one there want to hire 40+ years old singapore IT developers and engineers.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once you graduate from "London", you are set for life when you return to the Aussie bank. Or has things changed after the GFC?

It is hard for Singaporean migrant to gain the toehold in sales or marketing. Angmos have problems dealing with Asian salespeople who do not have Aussie accents.

as long u throw away the Sporean accent, any western english accents - American, british, Kiwi, Aussie will get the job

We are talking about corporate sales, not retail sales here correct?
There's heaps of Asians (mostly ABCs or those been here for a long time) doing sales though the top jobs still go to the white. oh well, if u are in real estate sales, mediocre english will do, as long u as u are serving the chinese customers

[/I][/B]

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was not my intention to denounce; rarther to draw attention to the plight of Singaporeans who cannot think for themselves. We must stop practising the societal norm; the blind follow the pied piper even today.

As far as emigration is concerned, it is little wonder so many Singaoporeans fail. Expecting them to think for themselves is tantamount to a Singaporean taking responsibility for themselves. They are ill equiped. They crave instant gratification. Pavlov might have chosen our sordid netizens as a substitute.

Well point is I am glad someone has finally come out and said it. Sinkees believing something to be true when its not or no longer is an issue I feel strongly about.

Take vacations for example. Every holiday Sinkees do the same damm thing - for example they all head to JB on a day off because thats the popular thing to do. Instead of enjoying the day, most of them end up spending hours stuck in traffic there and suffer. Just because it used to be the best thing to do does not mean every single Sinkee should head for the causeway. But they do. Its very sad to see it but it never fails. Maybe long, long ago it was the best thing to do but no anymore.

Now look at Emigration. Australia used to be the best place to migrate due to low costs and plentiful opportunities in the 1970s-1990s but then the country became a very poor choice sometime around 2003. The quitters looking to go to Australia were shocked to find those costs had risen to the point where the big house and car were suddenly no longer cheap. Add in racism, high taxes, and the other issues no wonder the migration agents have been seeing so little migrants to Australia these days. The perception is slowly shifting that Australia is one of the worst choices for the Sinkee wishing to emigrate today. Instead they are actually returning from Australia which is something some Sinkees are becoming aware of.

Collective idiocy is interesting. Its the psychology of doing what is popular even when its not and its something virtually every Sinkee is guilty of.

I see there are some very interesting works on collective idiocy right now. CNN anchor Rick Sanchez is writing a book on it right now. Maybe I should write one on Sinkee behavior and how its leads to disaster.

http://archives.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1007/15/rlst.01.html

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We are talking about corporate sales, not retail sales here correct?
There's heaps of Asians (mostly ABCs or those been here for a long time) doing sales though the top jobs still go to the white. oh well, if u are in real estate sales, mediocre english will do, as long u as u are serving the chinese customers

[/I][/B]

I am talking about sales in general.

I remember a Singapore property salesman selling Box Hill, and later, Southbank, Melb many years ago. After he talked to me, his boss came over to ask how is his service and whether he answered my questions. Obviously, the boss not impressed.

Actually, the ABCs put me off. I will rather approach a white.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. Sg is getting the rubbish. It is really sad. Funny I don't see in amongst the americans but certainly the europeans and aussies.

i
i have worked with IT seasoned professionals here in oz that have well over 20+ of development experiences, from mainframe era to the current technology. im totally blown away by their depth of knowledge. Not all are like that though.

im totally pissed by those "FT"s that i had worked with back in sg. total indians, prcs, and british, total rip off. now they are advertising for more FTs to fill in the post of both finance and IT in sg. and my peers are driving taxis as no one there want to hire 40+ years old singapore IT developers and engineers.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. Sg is getting the rubbish. It is really sad. Funny I don't see in amongst the americans but certainly the europeans and aussies.

Aiya, as long u are white,u can get any jobs in sg. Even for ABC, it's also in high demand. For asian immigrants, so long u speak w thick Aussie accent will be treated as gold in sg, though they are a grade down from white. Ex-sinkies still speak with spore accent will be treated just as b4 they were in sg if they are thinking of moving back

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am talking about sales in general.

I remember a Singapore property salesman selling Box Hill, and later, Southbank, Melb many years ago. After he talked to me, his boss came over to ask how is his service and whether he answered my questions. Obviously, the boss not impressed.

Actually, the ABCs put me off. I will rather approach a white.

Yea, precisely , i was served by a Underwhelmed ABC in a city branded shop but white treated me as a normal customer. It's really funny as they see their own race as 2nd class. In America I had the same experience as well, in NYC.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, precisely , i was served by a Underwhelmed ABC in a city branded shop but white treated me as a normal customer. It's really funny as they see their own race as 2nd class. In America I had the same experience as well, in NYC.

Actually, I find the "whites" treated people with equality then the "asians". Also one of the reason why I prefer going to the "white" guy then the "asian" dude.