• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BG (Paper) Tan Chuan Jin: We need FT's, Without FT's SG will collapse

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Published on Feb 16, 2014
5:58 PM

By Toh Yong Chuan
Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin sought to explain the tension between keeping Singapore open to foreign talent, and ensuring locals are given fair consideration in jobs, at a community dialogue in Pasir Ris on Sunday.

His priority is to look after Singaporeans, he said, but the balance between local and foreign workers is a "tricky issue" and Singapore cannot shut its doors to foreigners.

"If we swing too far the other way... some of these companies might find it better off to operate somewhere else," he said, adding that it will then lead to job losses for locals.

The minister was responding to a question from resident Benjamin Wan, 49, who felt that he was victimised twice by bosses who preferred foreigners instead of locals.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...-foreign-workers-tricky-issue-tan-chuan-jin-2

Paper General sings the praises of FT's again.....

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do bosses prefer FT to Singaporeans? If FTs are better trained, are we offering training for locals to catch up? If locals are penalized because of NS commitments then what are we doing about it? Maybe levy a fee equivalent to 1 month of salary to employers for each FT hired.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why do bosses prefer FT to Singaporeans? If FTs are better trained, are we offering training for locals to catch up? If locals are penalized because of NS commitments then what are we doing about it? Maybe levy a fee equivalent to 1 month of salary to employers for each FT hired.

The FTs have a far better attitude in general compared to Singaporeans.

Singaporeans have a sense of entitlement, are quick to complain, shun odd hours and have ridiculous salary expectations.

I currently have a 33% stake in a Singapore company. We employ 3 locals full time and that's it. The rest of the work is contracted to foreigners located either in Singapore or abroad.

The foreigners are cheaper, faster and better.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"If we swing too far the other way... some of these companies might find it better off to operate somewhere else," he said, adding that it will then lead to job losses for locals.

That's the same bs the PAP has been saying all these years. Those companies that need to have cheap labour to be profitable are not suited for sinkapore. It is better for them to leave as they will have to leave eventually unless sinkapore continues to race to the bottom in pay.
Rise in overall cost is inevitable as an economy moves up the value chain. It is not labour that is the main cost component.
Cost in sinkapore is high because of land, electricity, water, fuel....low taxes can't compensate for the meteoric rise in those cost ...so, they try to attack wages.

In short. the PAP is bankrupt of ideas. They are clueless on how to run a developed economy. It is easy to move from from 3rd world to 1st world. Now that it is there, PAP wants to bring the country back to second world.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The FTs have a far better attitude in general compared to Singaporeans.

Singaporeans have a sense of entitlement, are quick to complain, shun odd hours and have ridiculous salary expectations.

I currently have a 33% stake in a Singapore company. We employ 3 locals full time and that's it. The rest of the work is contracted to foreigners located either in Singapore or abroad.

The foreigners are cheaper, faster and better.

You should sell off your stake asap as a business that is so dependent on cheap labour to be profitable is easily destroyed by competitors.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You should sell off your stake asap as a business that is so dependent on cheap labour to be profitable is easily destroyed by competitors.

I'm not hiring cheap labor I'm hiring skilled personnel who do all the behind the scenes magic that makes websites work including server security and admin.

It's a very crowded marketplace and sub contracting work out to those who can do it at competitive rates is absolutely no different from what my competition is doing.

The business has remained viable because I do a better job of responding to customer needs compared to most of my competitors. Pricing is not a major factor. In fact, I have found that I can sometimes charge a bit more because my existing clients know that I will do a good job and are willing to pay a premium.

For example, DDoS attacks, database crashes and security breaches can occur at any time including weekends and public holidays. My current team will respond no matter what time of the day it is. When I previously had 2 Singaporeans on the job, there was no way I could get them to work odd hours or on an emergency basis. I do not have this problem with foreigners. They will do what it takes to get the job done.

Skeptical

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cost of hiring is the priority on many companies' agenda.. then they can keep their expenses low and profit high... Singaporeans may not lose to FTs in terms of their work attitude and performance..

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
They noe Sinkies are dead broke due their milking on cost of living and housing.
To keep the wages low open doors to FT and Sinkies Lan Lan got hear their shit
day aft day.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY withing millimeters or inches from becoming a rotting corpse.
After the night of long knives as PAP go hooting and hooting for the billions and billions leaving Arseloon the Loonie in pieces
And when we finished our yum sengs and dancing on table tops and streets will come the days of piano wires

ALL PAP RUNNING DOGS AND COLLABORATORS WILL BE DANCING AT END OF PIANO WIRES

AND MORE YUM SENGS TO US AND WE GET BACK OUR HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS
AND WE GET SINGAPORE FOR SINGAPOREANS

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cost of hiring is the priority on many companies' agenda.. then they can keep their expenses low and profit high... Singaporeans may not lose to FTs in terms of their work attitude and performance..

U are right, the average Singaporeans do not lose out to FT in terms of work attitude and performance however, SG have a 1% unemployment rate. The leftovers are the bottom of the barrel, those are the ones currently losing out to FTs and blaming the govt for their own incompetence

Last edited:

oratedar

Alfrescian
Loyal
pap so weak. they admit that without ft they will collapse. pap supporting retards still vote for them. so stupid.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is indeed a fallacy that SG needs FTsh to survive. FTsh are creating more problems in this country. Get rid of them and give the jobs back to local born citizens, not those imported new citizens, who can always go back to where they came from.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did someone forgot that
1.land cost /building cost/rentals is one of the major factor driving up cost here and who is the culprit benefitting from it.
2.Ft's are needed for their votes-meaning priority is to stay in power and not welfare of the people.