• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Better migrate before Peesailand hits 13m!

Ripley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Nov 5, 2009
A top choice for migrants <!--10 min-->
Gallup index shows S'pore population would jump to 13m if it takes in all who wished to come here <!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Lin Zhaowei </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
front-zwmigrate05.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

Singapore emerged tops with the highest PNMI value of 260 per cent, followed by Saudi Arabia (180 per cent), New Zealand (175 per cent), Canada (170 per cent) and Australia (145 per cent). -- PHOTO: REUTERS
</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->
SINGAPORE is a top immigration hot spot, according to a global survey conducted by Gallup.

<table valign="top" align="left" width="200"> <tbody><tr><td class="padr8"> <!-- Vodcast --> <!-- Background Story --> <style type="text/css"> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </style> Where migrants want to go to
Countries with highest PNMI*

1. Singapore (+260 per cent)
... more​

</td></tr> </tbody></table> If it were to take in all adults who wish to settle in the country, its adult population of 3.6 million would jump to 13 million, said the survey released this week. Gallup arrived at this figure by using what it called the Potential Net Migration Index (PNMI).
The index is the estimated number of adults who wish to leave a country permanently subtracted from the estimated number who wish to immigrate to the country, as a proportion of the total adult population.
The higher a positive PNMI value, the greater the potential of net population gain, proportional to the population size.
Singapore emerged tops with the highest PNMI value of 260 per cent, followed by Saudi Arabia (180 per cent), New Zealand (175 per cent), Canada (170 per cent) and Australia (145 per cent).
[email protected]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest comments
<table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table class="Post" style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">
Kokoobird,( Pg 1/0643hrs).................well done......you said it all !
</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">Posted by: MaluforSG at Thu Nov 05 16:30:39 SGT 2009
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table class="AlternatePost" style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">
Oohh!!! that was below the belt.
</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">Posted by: maserati222racing at Thu Nov 05 16:24:24 SGT 2009
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table class="Post" style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">
One way to read this report is this: go ahead and migrate to another country, we have other willing "customers" wanting your HDB flat and job and your pink IC.

We not scared one.
</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">Posted by: lplp at Thu Nov 05 16:17:11 SGT 2009
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table class="AlternatePost" style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">
The profile of 80% of the migrants now is pretty much the same as 100-150 years ago. The top tiers from China, India et al still go to North America and Europe. LOL.
</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">Posted by: Kallanggoonee at Thu Nov 05 14:22:16 SGT 2009
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table class="Post" style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">Singapore have the most comprehensive plan on just about everything else.

We can introduce something along the line of COE.

Every year we have a quota for foreign workers. The guys willing to pay the highest tax would get their PR status. These money would then be distributed to the NSF and reservists - these money would be debited against their HDB mortgages, CPF medisave, kids education fund etc.

Alternatively, the folks willing to serve the longest NS stint and reservists stint would also be given their PR status with minimum 3 years of NSF and another 15 years of reservisits obligation.

We must take advantage of the overwhelming demand for Singapore PR and citizenship. We should monetize the hard work of our 1st generation leaders and our fore fathers and let their future generation benefit.
</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">Posted by: kjks at Thu Nov 05 12:33:44 SGT 2009

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
this shithole is sure to hit 13m one day.

FamiLEE will never miss the opportunity to inflate their rents and import voters.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really doubt your prediction will come true. 13million will make us just like if not worse then some of the Major cities in India. The city will come to a standstill just becourse of the traffic alone. It'll be a lot like KL. Want to go to work? Be prepared to drive 2 hours to work just because you live in the outskirts

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IThe city will come to a standstill just becourse of the traffic alone. It'll be a lot like KL. Want to go to work? Be prepared to drive 2 hours to work just because you live in the outskirts

What you mean worse than KL:confused:

Have friends living & working in the outskirts of KL, in a place called Petaling Jaya. One of them gets lost in KL because she rarely visits KL.

Unlike in Spore where most don't have a choice as to where they live & work. Malaysians have that choice. They also have access to cheap cars & also decent public transport.

When I was in KL for a month I would take public transport, LRT/monorail/buses during the morning peak hours. It was less crowded than off -peak in Spore :eek:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What you mean worse than KL:confused:

Have friends living & working in the outskirts of KL, in a place called Petaling Jaya. One of them gets lost in KL because she rarely visits KL.

Unlike in Spore where most don't have a choice as to where they live & work. Malaysians have that choice. They also have access to cheap cars & also decent public transport.

When I was in KL for a month I would take public transport, LRT/monorail/buses during the morning peak hours. It was less crowded than off -peak in Spore :eek:

I am not sure what is meant by worst then KL but if you have ever gotten the chance to work in KL before U will realize that getting from home to the City Centre or Vice Versa during peak hours can be an hour or 2 long adventure. That's what I experience on a daily basis while I was there. And living outside the city(which most pple do) means that public transport is not an option for most pple. And with regards to their public transport, this was what my MY friends and colleagues told me. Unless you leave in a malay community area, bus frequency would be like 30min to an hour. In Malay residential area, its more or less like what we get here. And finally, their metro system is very undeveloped and serve very few places. It's improving, but its not going to replace cars anytime soon which means most pple are still stuck with cars

In SG public transport is everywhere, you probably cannot walk 10min without hitting a bus stop or MRT station. Cars are not really needed and more cars simply means more congested roads. We virtually have no traffic jams here. Cars moving slowly and traffic jams are 2 different thing. Seriously,I always thought slow moving traffic was considered a traffic jam until I started travelling. We need to travel to other countries to experience traffic jams, our "jams" are nothing compared to most of the countries I've visited. Their traffic literally comes to a standstill. When I compared with KL, what I was referring to was the time needed to travel from home to work when I meant worse then KL and not comparing our transport system which is predominantly public transport and theirs which is mainly using their own transport. It's like comparing apples and orange if I compare that way

In SG we seldom have to travel >1hr from point A to B even if we are taking public transport. However if we have a population of 13m, the roads will be too congested causing traffic jams and Buses will be useless. Pple will cramp onto MRTs making MRTs which will cause another problem, we'll need to wait for multiple trains before we can squeeze onto a train. hence a dramatic increase in travelling time

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you have ever gotten the chance to work in KL before U will realize that getting from home to the City Centre or Vice Versa during peak hours can be an hour or 2 long adventure. That's what I experience on a daily basis while I was there. And living outside the city(which most pple do) means that public transport is not an option for most pple. And with regards to their public transport, this was what my MY friends and colleagues told me.....

The population in & around KL is more dispersed unlike in Spore where the population of 5 million is concentrated. However there is a higher motocycle & car ownership than Spore so expect more congestion.

From what I understand most Malaysian families has their own transport : cars, motorcylces,.. For those commuting to the city from the outskirts, someone can drive them to a LRT/monorail station & they can commute by train.

As for those who choose to drive to work its no worst than Spore's traffic. Many who live in the outskirts get a job outside of KL. For those working in KL they have the hassle of the jams but is it any worse than Spore :confused:

I was in KL for a month and during the morning peak hours I would take a train & a bus, Even though the LRT trains were smaller than the MRT trains in Spore, I didn't have the sardine experience that's all too common in Spores packed trains. Never had to wait longer than 15 minutes for a bus. Almost always there were seats available on the buses. Public transport is also cheaper in Malaysia.

Maybe if you lived at Port Dickson & had to commute to KL you might have a problem but is it fair to complain about the "terrible traffic" :confused:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
13M IF all are approved. Not possible.

Actually Singapore is getting a bit more interesting and cosmopoliatan with mostly rejects and dropouts from all over the world like Japan, Europe, China, Africa, Vietnam, etc to come and live here.

If Singapore is at least half the size of Malaysia and has better qualities to attract people of better caliber as well then maybe the sunshine scenario of giving everyone approval would be a good idea.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it takes in ALL WHO WISH TO COME HERE. That is a low figure, compared to AUSTRALIA OR USA.

Many more people want to go USA or AUSTRALIA. That shows how low singapore is on the list of migrant wish.

DearestGodlikeWarlord

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite it being a bit costly and tame in terms of night entertainment we have to say Singapore is a nice and safe place with a stable political and economical structure.

Great place!

PS We love the sunshine and the durians too.

Lu Bu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Despite it being a bit costly and tame in terms of night entertainment we have to say Singapore is a nice and safe place with a stable political and economical structure.

Great place!

PS We love the sunshine and the durians too.

Bapok! what happened to your other clone SamuelStalin? Now got to use another clone to post? :rolleyes::biggrin: Oh yes read my signature! And going around rating other peoples thread with 1 star rating? You can't do with my army of clones here! They come in a spreadsheet! :eek::biggrin::oIo:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As for those who choose to drive to work its no worst than Spore's traffic. Many who live in the outskirts get a job outside of KL. For those working in KL they have the hassle of the jams but is it any worse than Spore :confused:

Yes the Jams are definitely worse the SG. During Peak hours in SG, the cars are still moving although very slowly, in KL, they usually come to a complete standstill. However I have seen much worst traffic jams in Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai and Mumbai

I was in KL for a month and during the morning peak hours I would take a train & a bus, Even though the LRT trains were smaller than the MRT trains in Spore, I didn't have the sardine experience that's all too common in Spores packed trains. Never had to wait longer than 15 minutes for a bus. Almost always there were seats available on the buses. Public transport is also cheaper in Malaysia.

I assume you are staying in and or near town. I usually stay in the outskirts whenever I am there which is quite often. Most pple living in KL does not live in town and public transport are usually not an option for them hence the need for their own transport. And because everyone have their own mode of transport, the public transport isn't very crowded. If you travel to other major cities where public transport is the main mode of transport however, e.g. Paris, London, Tokyo, you will often find that they are pretty much the same as us. Squeeze like Sardines. Like I said, KL and Singapore uses a different mode of transport, we are more dependent on Public transport while pple in MY need their own mode of transport.

Maybe if you lived at Port Dickson & had to commute to KL you might have a problem but is it fair to complain about the "terrible traffic" :confused:

I have never lived in Port Dickson however I have stayed at Shah Alam for extended periods of time before and it usually takes me an hour plus to get from there to our main office at Mid Valley. The journey is probably only about +/-30km, I can't imagine how long it will take someone from Port Dickson to get there

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
With 13m in peesai, I will buy few HDBs and wait for them to come, if I can.

Who says current HDB price is high ? Wait till these ppl landed. For those who'd missed the boat 40 years ago, this will be just like back then when 3 room flat is $6,800, now near $200K in matured estate like toa Payoh !!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And because everyone have their own mode of transport, the public transport isn't very crowded. If you travel to other major cities where public transport is the main mode of transport however, e.g. Paris, London, Tokyo, you will often find that they are pretty much the same as us. Squeeze like Sardines. Like I said, KL and Singapore uses a different mode of transport, we are more dependent on Public transport while pple in MY need their own mode of transport.

I've been to London, Paris, Germany, LOS, Canada, US .. & have taken the public transport there.

In Spore, although the trains are larger & more spacious than the older systems found in London & Paris, its common for the trains in Spore to more crowded.

Before I discovered the convenience of the LRT, I used to take a cab between PJ & KL and never spent 2 hours stuck in any jam :eek: At most the jams in the evenings only last 1 to 2 hours so how can anyone be stuck for 2 hours :smile:

Been to Mid Valley, it's very easy to get to by train just one stop from KL Central.

Its a wonder you get anything done getting stuck in traffic jams in Malaysia, LOS,...:smile:

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
They also have access to cheap cars & also decent public transport.

KL public transport DECENT???? Are u sure? When i was working in Kelana Jaya, PJ, the public transport sux big time. LRT breakdown, oppresive indian cab drivers & never-on-time public busus are the norm there. In the end, i had to rely on the good grace of my colleague.
One thing for sure that KL/PJ is better than Spore -

1. Food - cheap, delicious & plenty of variety
2. Girls - generally the Msian gals has bigger boobs & much more friendlier than our sinkie women.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
KL public transport DECENT???? Are u sure? When i was working in Kelana Jaya, PJ, the public transport sux big time. LRT breakdown, oppresive indian cab drivers & never-on-time public busus are the norm there. In the end, i had to rely on the good grace of my colleague.

2. Girls - generally the Msian gals has bigger boobs & much more friendlier than our sinkie women.

Agree on point 1. But how did u come to derive the conclusion at point 2 :confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't consider taxis public transport. More like highway robbers on wheels :smile:

I try to avoid taxis especially in the Bukit Bintang area. The cabbies in that area are bad. They will even break the windows of honest cabbies who use the meter :eek:

In the 1 month I was in KL, the LRT broke down only once. I'm sure its a better track record than Spore's world famous SMRT :smile:

Have to agree that the food is good & cheap. Girls are less stuck up than Spore girls, but its true of the girls in LOS, Indonesia,....

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Point 2 is not a conclusion, its a fact!!!! I hard it hard to understand too. But most sinkie gals have small boobs.

Ah, that must be due to having to squeeze frequently on the public transport system. Not easy to manage if you have huge assets, not to mention the potential for accidental physical contact. Now you know whose fault it is. :wink: