• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Balls Shrinked! Sinkies Fear New Columbarium Complex will Affect Property Prices!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Residents fear plans of new columbarium complex in Mandai may affect property prices, impact en bloc deal

Residential property at Springside Place. The area is near the proposed columbarium complex in Mandai.
Raj Nadarajan/TODAY
Residential property at Springside Place. The area is near the proposed columbarium complex in Mandai.
Join our WhatsApp or Telegram channels for the latest updates, or follow us on TikTok and Instagram.
  • Residents along Sembawang Road expressed surprise and concern over the proposed columbarium complex in Mandai
  • Many questioned the chosen location, citing concerns about property values and issues with visibility and fengshui
  • Residents, particularly in condominiums like Hong Heng Mansions, are worried about the impact on property values and the potential hindrance to collective sales
  • Some, however, support the proposal, with one emphasising the need for civic-mindedness in land-scarce Singapore

BY

AMANDA YEAP

Published December 25, 2023
Updated December 25, 2023
WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn
SINGAPORE — News of the proposed columbarium complex in Mandai has left residents living along Sembawang Road concerned about a possible decline in property prices, with some fearing that it could scupper an en bloc deal at one of the condominiums in the area.
Some also said that the proposed location, at a spot overlooking a cross junction, is bad for fengshui.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) announced on Monday (Dec 18) that it had identified a plot of land viable for constructing the new funeral and columbarium complex at the intersection of Mandai Avenue and Sembawang Road.
The location is about three bus stops from the Sembawang Road section near Springleaf MRT Station, surrounded by various condominiums like The Brooks I and II, Hong Heng Mansions, Forest Hills, and The Essence.
Some residents TODAY spoke to had bought a property here as they appreciated the unblocked views, serenity and lush greenery of the estate while being close to urban areas.
Photographer James Koh, who lives at Hong Heng Mansions, is worried that the columbarium would hamper his condominium's en bloc plans.
The public tender of the collective sale for Hong Heng Mansions, a freehold condominium, was launched in late February with a reserve price of S$133 million.

“But it wasn’t successful because there was no buyer. If this columbarium plan comes true, it would further dampen our chances of having a collective sale,” Mr Koh said.
He also believes that in terms of fengshui, having a columbarium at a cross junction would not bode well for motorists passing by.
“Ask them (the Government) to ask the geomancers to see if that place is good or not. I don’t have a car, but I’m concerned about other drivers,” he said.
“You’re supposed to put nice things at traffic junctions, like condos or shopping malls.”
Mr Koh added that it would be better to expand Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium Complex from the existing building instead.
In NEA's media release, the agency explained that the Mandai Avenue site was selected after discussions with different agencies.
Several factors were taken into consideration:
  • the needed space for a versatile facility with a columbarium and various funeral services
  • development plans for the area
  • traffic impact
  • effects on nearby developments
Before finalising development plans, NEA said an environmental impact assessment and feasibility study would be conducted for the proposed project to identify potential environmental impacts during both the construction and post-construction stages.
20231224_raj_columbarium_site1.jpg
Raj Nadarajan/TODAYThe intersection of Mandai Avenue and Sembawang Road has been identified for a proposed funeral and columbarium complex.

RESIDENTS QUESTION CHOICE OF LOCATION​

Mr Toh Hai Poh, a 79-year-old retiree, disagreed with the choice of location.
“Why does it have to be so out in the open?” he said.

“These kinds of buildings are very sensitive. They should be hidden further down the road.
“I think there’s a lot more land towards Upper Seletar Reservoir they can choose from. It doesn’t have to be this particular location.”
Mr Toh, who has been living in his landed property with his wife and daughter since 2002, said he was shocked when he found out about the news.
“When we bought the property back then, we decided on it because the area here is very breezy and peaceful. But now they (the Government) suddenly want to build another columbarium, it’s not fair to residents here,” he said.
A landed property resident, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Yee, 56, is certain that the new columbarium would impact property prices in the estate.
"So far, I have no plans to sell, but you'll never know what the future holds or if my kids may have other plans," she said.
"If I do plan to move out, then the selling price probably won't be as high."
A business owner, who wished to be known only as Pang Y L, 65, also questioned the rationale of choosing the plot, which looks “exposed”.
“It’s not a good thing to expose the columbarium. It should be hidden. It’s not so good, especially in terms of fengshui,” he said.
“It won’t be good for the residents of upcoming developments in the area, too.”
As for property prices, Mr Pang, who lives in a landed property, said he was not too concerned about them because he has no plans to sell or move out. “I’m just worried about the outlook.”
Meanwhile, retiree Sam Tien’s main concern was the address of the new columbarium complex.
The 63-year-old, also a resident of Hong Heng Mansions, said if there was no way to change the location, it would be better for the new complex’s main gate to be built facing Mandai Ave rather than Sembawang Road.
That way, the columbarium can still be loosely called Mandai Columbarium.
“If the main entrance were to face Sembawang Road, then it would be Sembawang Columbarium.
“This would affect the overall market sentiment. Maybe property prices in Sembawang, especially those of us who live along Sembawang Road here, will drop because people will think of columbariums when it comes to Sembawang,” he said.
TODAY has reached out to NEA for comment on the concerns raised.

CALL FOR CIVIC-MINDEDNESS​

However, not all Sembawang Road residents were against the idea.
"We live around columbariums, there's no concern," one resident said, requesting anonymity.
Healthcare professional Eugene Poh, 45, said he was fine with the proposal, too.
“I hope we can influence Singaporeans to be a bit less self-centred, more civic-minded, and to think more logically,” he said.
“As it is, we are land-scarce. And people who are bereaved would want an area that’s not too far to pay their respects.”

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder who theses losers voted for ?

And why interview the residents when the decision has already been made? It's like asking a woman "How was it for you, any feedback?" after you have finished raping her. :rolleyes:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously the healthcare professionals don't care. He might not be a Singaporean after all. He might be a Jih Hu kia working , maybe a WP or PR.

When time is up, he may uproot and fuck back to jihu .. who care about your colobarium or being civil mindedness.

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Low ses retard Sinkies not to worry. Not going to make any difference to hdb pigeon holes. After all pigeon holes already look like a columbarium.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha
The PAP will tell you that Singapore is a land scare country . Need to constantly build , and rebuild. Then there's economic activity.

That's what rental seeking economy is all about. Waiting for the next wave of investment to push your property value higher and you sell off .

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Toh Hai Poh, a 79-year-old retiree, disagreed with the choice of location.
“Why does it have to be so out in the open?” he said.

“These kinds of buildings are very sensitive. They should be hidden further down the road.
“I think there’s a lot more land towards Upper Seletar Reservoir they can choose from. It doesn’t have to be this particular location.”
Mr Toh, who has been living in his landed property with his wife and daughter since 2002, said he was shocked when he found out about the news.
“When we bought the property back then, we decided on it because the area here is very breezy and peaceful. But now they (the Government) suddenly want to build another columbarium, it’s not fair to residents here,” he said.
The old fart is already 79. He might need it sooner than he thought.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
That why cannot built at ridout Rd, so built at sembawang ,no difference if gate is yishun or sembawang,they can inhale burning n offering,maybe can hv bbq smell for,deserves it for the resident there,lol

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Having our ashes tossed into the sea should be made a mainstream practice. That's what my friends and I have opted for. We don't want to be stuck in a jar, and placed in a teeny cubical. Hence, no need for a columbarium. And our collective ashes will help in land reclamation too.:biggrin:

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
The old facts living around there should thank sham, cannot built at ridout Rd , cos old forts pass away their family can cut cost cost nearby their homes, this 60% sinkies damn dumb till now,papigs looking g after their welfare, omg

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing g bad is depend on wind direction ,their estate maybe sky with incense or even body bbq, cos riveria hdb area are facing this , whole estate can smell burning of incense or whatever