• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Author of death penalty book Alan Shadrake arrested

G

General Veers

http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/si...drake-arrestedhttp://yoursdp.org/index.php

Breaking news: Author of death penalty book Alan Shadrake arrested

Sunday, 18 July 2010
Singapore Democrats

shadrake.jpg

Shadrake speaking at the book launch yesterday

Mr Alan Shadrake, author of Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock, has been arrested. Mr Shadrake, 75, had launched his book yesterday at the Post Museum. A British national, the author has written about the various cases of persons hanged under the drug law in Singapore.

It is understood that the Media Development Authority had lodged the complaint against Mr Shadrake who is being held for criminal defamation and contempt of court.

Authorities have ordered bookstores not to sell the book but have not officially banned it. There is no word yet about where Mr Shadrake is being held.

Mr Shadrake had first launched his book in Malaysia and had travelled to Singapore from Penang to launch it here.

At the launch yesterday, the author spoke about the difference in treatment between a German lady who was caught trafficking drugs and who faced the gallows. However, because of intense pressure from the German government her charge was reduced, and Ms Bohl was subsequently sentenced to five years imprisonment of which she served three.

Mr Shadrake compared her treatment to that of Vignes Moorthy, a poor labourer from Johor Baru, who was hanged for the same offence even though the prosecution's case was highly contentious.

This website will provide updates on the Mr Shadrake's situation when they become available.

G

General Veers

Jul 18, 2010
UK man arrested over book

<!-- by line --> By Mavis Toh
<!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar -->
briton.jpg

Mr Alan Shadrake's arrest comes just two days after a police report was lodged by the Media Development Authority. -- PHOTO: COURTESY OF ALAN SHADRAKE

<!-- story content : start --> A BRITISH national who was in Singapore to launch his book which discusses the death penalty in this country was arrested on Sunday morning. Mr Alan Shadrake's arrest comes just two days after a police report was lodged by the Media Development Authority.

In response to queries from The Straits Times on Sunday, a police spokesman said that amongst other things, Mr Shadrake is being investigated for alleged offences of criminal defamation. The veteran freelance journalist has also been served with an order by the Attorney-General to attend court for contempt of court, based on the contents of the book.

The Straits Times understands that the alleged offences are related to the 75-year-old's latest book titled Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock. The 219-page book is filled with accounts of high-profile cases in Singapore involving the use of the death penalty and includes interviews with the country's former executioner Mr Darshan Singh.

Read the full story in Monday's edition of The Straits Times.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The case of the German girl made a mockery of the Singapore Justice system. They have only themselves to blame. They conveniently accepted the excuse that her malay boyfriend misled her while it was not the case with others. Malay girls who was misled by their boyfriends were also hanged so what with the german girl. Did she come from a 4th world country and therefore not wise to the world. The other girls like her were also addicted to drugs. Not only was she spared the gallows, they let her off after 3 years.

I have no issues with the death penalty but it has to be fair and consistent. If you know that it will cause an issue in some cases then it should not be applied at all.

Until the German girl case, this country was pretty much on strong grounds. Not any more.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
The arrest of Alan Shadrake shows that nothing has changed in our tiny police state. Will be following his case with interest.

chobolan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Published: Monday July 19, 2010 MYT 12:40:00 PM
Updated: Monday July 19, 2010 MYT 2:57:59 PM

Singapore arrests British writer for defamation (updated)

By ALEX KENNEDY

SINGAPORE (AP): Singaporean police said Monday they arrested a British author as part of a criminal defamation investigation related to his book on the city-state's death penalty policy. Alan Shadrake, 75, was in Singapore to promote the book and was arrested Sunday, police said in a statement.

He hosted an event the day before promoting "Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock." Police said they arrested Shadrake based on a complaint by the government's Media Development Authority and were investigating him for other offenses. They declined to give details.

The attorney-general's office is also seeking contempt of court charges against Shadrake because statements in the book allegedly impugn the impartiality, integrity and independence of the judiciary, a spokeswoman said. She spoke anonymously in line with the attorney-general office policy.
The contempt of court charges will be heard by a judge at the country's High Court on July 30.

Singapore's leaders have sued journalists and political opponents several times in past years for alleged defamation.
Human rights groups including Amnesty International contend Singapore applies defamation laws selectively to silence criticism.

The government says restrictions on speech and assembly are necessary to preserve economic prosperity and racial and religious harmony in the multiethnic city-state of 5 million people. It says any statement that damages the reputations of its leaders will hinder their ability to rule effectively.
Singapore applies capital punishment by hanging for offenses such as drug trafficking and unlawful use of a firearm.

C

Cao Pi

British author freed on bail

Jul 20, 2010

British author freed on bail

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line -->
ST_16777156.jpg

Alan Shadrake, a 75-year-old freelance journalist, told AFP at a police complex that he was freed after a local activist posted bail of S$10,000 for him. --PHOTO: REUTERS

A BRITISH author arrested in Singapore while promoting his book on executions in the city-state was released on bail on Tuesday pending further investigations by police. Alan Shadrake, a 75-year-old freelance journalist, told AFP at a police complex that he was freed after a local activist posted bail of S$10,000 for him. 'I'm feeling pretty shaken at the moment,' he said.

Shadrake, who divides his time between neighbouring Malaysia and Britain, is facing charges of criminal defamation and contempt of court, which are punishable by jail and fines. The case is to be heard in court on July 30, his lawyer M. Ravi said. Shadrake was arrested at a hotel on Sunday after the launch of his book 'Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock'.

Speaking later to reporters after his release, Shadrake said he had hardly slept 'since they dragged me out of bed' the morning after launching his book in a private function. His passport has been impounded to prevent him from leaving Singapore until the case is resolved. A police spokesman confirmed that Shadrake was released on bail at 12.35 am on Tuesday, but he must seek police permission if he wants to leave the country.

On reports that his arrest was linked to the Singapore Government's position on capital punishment, a Ministry of Home Affairs spokesman said on Tuesday: 'The Singapore Government's position on the issue of capital punishment is not new. Those who disagree with our position have presented their arguments and as a matter of principle, we respect their right to hold such opposing views, as we hope they do ours. 'Shadrake is now under investigation for criminal defamation.

He is also the subject of contempt of court proceedings initiated by the Attorney-General's Chambers. His anti-death penalty views are not the issue in these investigations; it is his violation of the laws of Singapore which are.
'Anyone, Singaporean or otherwise, who breaks the law regardless of the cause he touts, will be taken to task. Shadrake is no exception - he cannot expect to commit offences and then assume that he will be exempted from being held accountable under the law.'

C

Cao Pi

British author defiant in court

Jul 30, 2010

British author defiant in court

<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line -->
ST_16871404.jpg

'Whatever they do to me, it will prove whatever I say in my book,' Shadrake (left) told reporters outside the court after the hearing. 'I'm not a wimp, I'm not a coward. I want to have my day in court... I'm not running away. If I run away, it means I'm guilty.' -- ST PHOTO: AZIZ HUSSIN

<!-- story content : start --> A BRITISH author facing a possible jail term over his book criticising Singapore's use of the death penalty was defiant following his first court hearing on Friday. Alan Shadrake appeared in a packed courtroom to hear contempt of court charges levelled against him by the Attorney General following the local launch of his book 'Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock'.

A High Court judge granted an adjournment, giving Shadrake's lawyer two weeks to further prepare for the case and another week for prosecutors to respond. With his passport impounded to prevent him from leaving the country, the 75-year-old freelance journalist remained defiant despite facing possible imprisonment. 'Whatever they do to me, it will prove whatever I say in my book,' he told reporters outside the court after the hearing.

'I'm not a wimp, I'm not a coward. I want to have my day in court... I'm not running away. If I run away, it means I'm guilty.'
Shadrake's book features candid conversations with a retired hangman, Darshan Singh, who the author says executed some 1,000 local and foreign criminals in a career spanning nearly half a century. Based in Malaysia and Britain, Shadrake is out on bail for the contempt charges, and is undergoing a separate investigation for criminal defamation. -- AFP

C

Cao Pi

Brit author Shadrake says he will not apologise, hearing adjourned for 3 weeks

Brit author Shadrake says he will not apologise, hearing adjourned for 3 weeks

By S Ramesh |
Posted: 30 July 2010 1228 hrs
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="260"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" width="20"></td> <td align="right" width="240">
phpMC5wkd.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="60" valign="top"></td> <td class="update" height="80" valign="top"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="138">Photos </td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="47">1 of 1</td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" onclick="Prev();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="19"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" onclick="Play()" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" height="15" type="image" width="19"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " onclick="Next();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

British author Alan Shadrake
</td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td class="update"></td> </tr> <tr> <td></td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
SINGAPORE: British author Alan Shadrake who has been cited for contempt of court by Singapore's Attorney General, has said that he will not apologise to the court and will fight on with the case.

Shadrake's been brought to court for allegedly making and publishing contemptuous statements on the independence of the Singapore judiciary in a book which he had launched recently here.

Meanwhile the contempt hearing which was to take place Friday was adjourned for three weeks to give the author time to file an affidavit and for the Attorney General's Chambers to respond to it.

Shadrake's lawyer M Ravi had asked for a month's adjournment as he had wanted more time to consult various agencies which had been mentioned in Shadrake's book if they too wanted to file affidavits and give evidence.

However Justice Quentin Loh ruled that he would grant a two week adjournment for Shadrake to file his affidavit and a further week for the AGC to respond.

And if any other agencies want to file affidavits, the matter would have to referred to the Judge first.

At the outset of the hearing Senior Counsel David Chong acting for AGC, reminded the media that it too would be liable for contempt if paragraphs being complained of in this case were repeated by them.

- CNA/jm

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Brit author Shadrake says he will not apologise, hearing adjourned for 3 weeks

this makes us look more pathetic than usual. we need a white ah pek to point out the injustice in our system??? bbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

kirby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Brit author Shadrake says he will not apologise, hearing adjourned for 3 weeks

This guy lives in both Britain and Malaysia. Malaysia also has the death penalty as Singapore but nobody question why he chose to write this book on Singapore instead of one on Malaysia ? Is he beholden to Malaysia ? The Malays will say "Ada udang di sebalik batu"

Called it whatever you want but I rather doubt his motivation.

J

Jiang Wei

Lawyer offers to quit

Oct 20, 2010

Lawyer offers to quit
He cites conflict of interest, but judge persuades him to stay

By Khushwant Singh

ravi.jpg

British journalist Alan Shadrake (right) and his lawyer M. Ravi (left) outside the Supreme court. -- ST PHOTO: AZIZ HUSSIN

THE lawyer representing British author Alan Shadrake said on Wednesday that he could not continue if the Attorney-General was threatening him with contempt proceedings. Mr M. Ravi took centre stage on the third and final day of a High Court hearing to decide if Shadrake had scandalised the Singapore judiciary. He told the court: 'I must discharge myself for then there would surely be a conflict of interest if I continue acting for the author.'

Earlier, while rebutting Mr Ravi's arguments that nothing in Shadrake's book, titled Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock, could be construed as being in contempt, Deputy Senior State Counsel Hema Subramanian had said that she had been instructed to express regret over the many mischievous and baseless allegations that the lawyer has made against the Attorney-General since the hearing started on Monday.

She said: 'We do not want to deal with these unwarranted attacks here at this stage because we do not want to indulge in the tactics of the defendant of distracting the court from the issue before it.' In addition, Ms Subramanian said that Mr Ravi had accused the judiciary of 'rubber-stamping' the contempt applications of the Attorney-General in the past.

'No clearer or more egregious example of scandalising the judiciary can be found,' she added.
Mr Ravi decided to continue representing Shadrake, 75, after Justice Quentin Loh assured him that any application to hold the lawyer in contempt would very probably come before the same court, which would be fully aware of the facts.

Read the full story in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.

D

Diao Chan

Shadrake guilty of contempt

Nov 3, 2010

Shadrake guilty of contempt

By Khushwant Singh

ST_18070592.jpg

-- PHOTO: AFP

BRITISH author Alan Shadrake, 75, was found guilty of impugning the impartiality, integrity and independence of Singapore courts in his book. High Court Judge Quentin Loh found the author of A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock had scandalised the judiciary in 11 of the 14 passages that the Attorney-General had listed as contemptuous. In the three passages, Shadrake could be said to be making allegations against institutions other than the courts.

He will be sentenced next Tuesday.
During the three-day hearing last month, Deputy Senior State Counsel Hema Subramanian argued that the 14 statements alleged or insinuated that the Singapore courts bowed to pressure from foreign governments, favoured the rich and privileged and were used as a tool by the ruling party to muzzle political dissent.

Shadrake, through his lawyer, Mr M. Ravi, maintained that the selected passages did not scandalise the courts and constituted fair criticism on matters of public interest. But Justice Loh said that Shadrake had included half-truths and falsehoods in his book and this cannot constitute fair criticism. The judge noted that 6,000 copies of the book have been sold so far, and if left unchecked, it would result in readers losing confidence in the administration of justice in Singapore.

The author declined to comment on the judge's decision but told reporters after the verdict: 'I think I have been given a fair hearing.' Separately, Shadrake is being investigated by the police for criminal defamation, an offence which carries a maximum two-year jail term and a fine. His passport is being held by the police.

B

Benkei

British author guilty of contempt

Nov 4, 2010

British author guilty of contempt
Shadrake scandalised Singapore's judiciary in his book, says judge

By Khushwant Singh

ST_IMAGES_KSSHADRAKE04-2T0.jpg

Alan Shadrake, 75, was yesterday found guilty of insulting Singapore's judiciary in his book, Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock. -- ST PHOTO: JOYCE FANG

THE British author of a book on the Singapore judiciary has been found guilty of impugning the impartiality, integrity and independence of Singapore's courts in it. Delivering the verdict yesterday, Justice Quentin Loh said Alan Shadrake, 75, had scandalised the judiciary in his book, Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice In The Dock. Eleven passages were judged as being in contempt of court.

The judge noted that Shadrake's technique was 'to make or insinuate his claims against a dissembling and selective background of truths and half-truths, and sometimes outright falsehoods'. The 11 statements were among 14 selected by the Attorney-General for the proceedings brought against the writer.

The remaining three were not in contempt, said Justice Loh. With two, he gave Shadrake the benefit of the doubt as to whether they referred to the judiciary; the third, taken in context, did not allege wrongdoing on the part of the courts. Shadrake will be sentenced on Tuesday, to give him time to consider making amends for his statements, for which he could be fined and/or jailed.

Read the full story in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.
[email protected]

B

Benkei

12-week jail for author?

Nov 9, 2010

ALAN SHADRAKE'S TRIAL

12-week jail for author?

shadrake-ap.jpg

British author Alan Shadrake, 76, offered a qualified apology during his sentencing hearing in High Court but said he will not disavow his book. -- PHOTO: AP

SINGAPORE'S attorney-general on Tuesday demanded a minimum 12-week jail term for a British author who published a book critical of the city-state's judiciary. Author Alan Shadrake, 76, offered a qualified apology during his sentencing hearing in High Court but said he will not disavow his book, 'Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock,' which triggered Singapore's ire. High Court Judge Quentin Loh, who had found Shadrake guilty of contempt of court last week, said he will announce the sentence next Tuesday.

Under Singaporean law, the crime is punishable by a fine and jail term, but the judge has the discretion to determine the exact penalty.
The attorney-general's office alleges that statements in the book impugn the impartiality, integrity and independence of the judiciary. The case has once again highlighted complaints by critics who claim Singapore uses criminal defamation laws to silence critics.

But the government says any statement that damages the reputations of its leaders will hinder their ability to rule effectively.
Prosecution lawyer Hema Subramaniam said Shadrake had shown 'complete lack of good faith in making these allegations against the judiciary,' and asked for 12 weeks in jail. But Defense lawyer M. Ravi argued that a censure - given the defendant's age - should be sufficient. -- AP

B

Benkei

Apology a 'tactical ploy'

Nov 9, 2010

CONTEMPT OF COURT CASE

Apology a 'tactical ploy'

By Selina Lum

apologises.jpg

In arguing for a lenient sentence for Shadrake (above), Mr M Ravi maintained that the freelance journalist has never intended to undermine Singapore's courts in his book Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore's Justice In The Dock. -- PHOTO: AP

THE lawyer acting for British author Alan Shadrake, who has been held in contempt of court, told the High Court on Tuesday that his client 'will certainly apologise if he has offended the sensitivity of the court'. In arguing for a lenient sentence for Shadrake, 76, Mr M Ravi maintained that the freelance journalist has never intended to undermine Singapore's courts in his book Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore's Justice In The Dock.

Mr Ravi said his client should be given only a censure. But Deputy Senior State Counsel Hema Subramanian dismissed it as a 'half-hearted' apology that was 'insufficient and insincere' and a 'tactical ploy' by Shadrake to escape punishment. Ms Subramanian said the contempt in Shadrake's case far exceeded past cases. 'This is an especially pernicious case of grave and aggravated contempt that is without precedent in Singapore,' she said, pressing the court to jail Shadrake for at least 12 weeks.

Mr Ravi argued that Ms Subramanian's arguments were a mockery to logic that 'brings us back to the dark era of the Middle Ages'.
He said it was 'the joke of the century' that the Attorney-General's Chambers claim the book undermines public confidence in the courts but yet has done nothing to ban it. 'If they mean what they say, ban the book,' he said. Justice Quentin Loh, noting that submissions from both sides are 'far apart', said he would think about it and give his decision on Shadrake's sentence next Tuesday.

B

Benkei

British author says sorry

Nov 9, 2010

CONTEMPT OF COURT CASE
British author says sorry

ashadrake-st.jpg

British author Alan Shadrake arriving at the High Court, to be sentenced for contempt of court. -- ST PHOTO: RAJ NADARAJAN

A BRITISH author convicted of insulting the Singapore judiciary in a book apologised on Tuesday for his actions, saying it had not been his intention to undermine judges. But prosecutors rejected Alan Shadrake's apology, which came a week after a judge found him guilty of contempt of court over his book about the hanging of criminals in the city-state.

'It was never his intention to undermine the judges or the judiciary.' Shadrake said through his lawyer, M. Ravi, during a High Court hearing. 'He would certainly apologise if he had offended the sensitivities of the judiciary.' Contempt of court is punishable in Singapore by imprisonment or a fine, or both, with no maximum limit set on either. Prosecutors said Shadrake's apology was insincere.

'The apology is half-hearted and hardly an apology. It's insufficient,' said Hema Subramanian, the deputy senior state counsel with the Attorney General's chambers.
She called the apology a 'tactical ploy to escape the full brunt' of the law and asked the court to sentence him to at least 12 weeks' imprisonment. Sentencing on Shadrake had been due to go ahead on Tuesday, but was adjourned for a week. -- AFP

L

lauhunku

Author 'should get 12 weeks jail'

Nov 10, 2010

Author 'should get 12 weeks jail'

Prosecution dismisses his apology bid, calling it a half-hearted attempt

By Selina Lum

THE lawyer acting for the British author convicted of contempt of court said on Tuesday that his client 'will certainly apologise if he has offended the sensitivity of the court'. But the Attorney-General's Chambers branded this a 'half-hearted attempt at an apology', and argued that Alan Shadrake, 76, should be jailed for at least 12 weeks.

Defence lawyer M. Ravi made the comments at the High Court while arguing for a lenient sentence for freelance journalist Shadrake, who has so far refused to take back baseless attacks against Singapore's judiciary in his book on the death penalty. He did not elaborate on when Shadrake might apologise or under what circumstances. Mr Ravi said Shadrake had not intended to undermine confidence in the judiciary in his book Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore's Justice In The Dock. He said his client should only be censured.

But deputy senior state counsel Hema Subramanian dismissed the promised apology as 'insufficient and insincere' and a 'tactical ploy' by Shadrake to escape punishment. Ms Subramanian argued that the severity of Shadrake's contempt far exceeded that of previous incidents, including a case in which three men were jailed for between seven and 15 days for wearing T-shirts depicting a kangaroo dressed in a judge's robes.

[email protected]

Read the full story in Wednesday's edition of the Straits Times.

I

Ieyasu Tokugawa

Author gets 6 weeks jail, fine

Nov 16, 2010

CONTEMPT OF COURT SENTENCE
Author gets 6 weeks jail, fine

ST_18223720.jpg

Judge Quentin Loh dismissed a last-minute apology by Shadrake as a 'tactical ploy'. -- PHOTO: AFP

BRITISH writer Alan Shadrake, 76, was sentenced to six weeks in jail and fined S$20,000 on Tuesday for contempt of court. Shadrake was also ordered to pay S$55,000 in costs to the prosecution by High Court Judge Quentin Loh. The judge dismissed a last-minute apology by Shadrake as 'nothing more than a tactical ploy in court to obtain a reduced sentence', and ruled that the freelance journalist will have to serve two more weeks in prison if he fails to pay the fine.

'A fine should be imposed to prevent Mr Shadrake from profiting from his contempt (of court),' the judge said. The High Court delivered the verdict against Shadrake in connection with his book Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock, which was deemed to have insulted the Singaporean judiciary.

The attorney-general's office, which took Shadrake to court, claims that statements in the book impugn the impartiality, integrity and independence of the judiciary.
The writer accused Singapore's courts of succumbing to political influences and favoring the rich over the poor in his book 'Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore's Justice in the Dock.' The book contained 'half-truths and selective facts; sometimes even outright falsehoods,' Judge Loh said in his Nov 3 verdict.

The prosecution had sought a jail term of at least 12 weeks because of Shadrake's 'continued defiance' and allegations of 'the worst possible kind' against the judiciary. Shadrake had no intention of undermining the city's judiciary and ought to be censured instead of jailed or fined, his lawyer M. Ravi said at a Nov 9 hearing. -- AFP, AP

C

Cao Pi

Shadrake to appeal jail term

Nov 18, 2010

CONTEMPT OF COURT CASE
Shadrake to appeal jail term

alanshadrake-18.jpg

Alan Shadrake, 76, is filing an appeal to overturn his conviction. -- PHOTO: AFP

A BRITISH author jailed for six weeks after his book on Singapore's death penalty was found to be in contempt of court is filing an appeal to overturn his conviction, his lawyer said on Thursday. Alan Shadrake, 76, 'wishes to appeal against his conviction and sentence,' a letter sent by his lawyer M. Ravi to the Supreme Court said.

Mr Ravi told AFP by telephone that Shadrake, a freelance writer based in Malaysia and Britain, should not have been convicted for insulting the judiciary in his book Once a Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock. 'Even if he's found guilty, the sentence is excessive,' added Mr Ravi, who declined to state his grounds for challenging the conviction.

Shadrake was handed a six-week jail term on Tuesday and fined S$20,000 after being found guilty of scandalising Singapore's courts.
It was the stiffest sentence ever imposed in Singapore for the offence. The previous longest jail term for contempt of court was 15 days. Judge Quentin Loh said he imposed a deterrent sentence on Shadrake as the freelance journalist's allegations of 'judicial impropriety' were without precedent. -- AFP