• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Australian opinions about migrants

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Get the facts here.

Link: http://arts.monash.edu/mapping-population/public-opinion.php

MEDIA RELEASE 27 September 2011

National study reveals top issues for social harmony

The Scanlon Foundation and The Australian Multicultural Foundation today released the 2011 ‘Mapping Social Cohesion Report’ - Australia’s largest study into the key issues shaping our nation’s level of social harmony.

Exploring attitudes towards immigration, racial tolerance, asylum seekers, and trust in government, the study reveals that while Australia continues to be a cohesive multicultural society, some indicators raise concern.
  • Report author, Professor Andrew Markus of Monash University says, “The majority of Australians maintain a strong sense of belonging and pride in the Australian way of life.
“89% of people are generally happy with their lives and they have positive attitudes towards social justice and participation. These are all fundamental factors for a cohesive society.

Key findings show a significant long-term shift in Australian opinion, particularly on issues such as immigration and acceptance of diversity.

• The 2011 report finds a positive shift in attitudes towards ethnic groups that were stigmatised in Australia in recent decades. 97% of people now accept those from Italy and Greece. 89% of people accept people from Asia. However, in 2011, 25% of people are negative toward immigrants from Middle Eastern countries such as Iraq and Lebanon.
</SPAN>
  • In 2011, Australians are more accepting of immigration levels:,55% of people believe intake is ‘about right’ or ‘too low’, compared with 46% in 2010.
  • With regard to overseas students, Australians aged 18-24 welcome the opportunity to mix with those from other cultures, while older Australians see economic benefit from the presence of international students.
Despite these positive changes, results show Australians are increasingly pessimistic and concerned for the short-term future.
  • In 2011, 17% of people believe their lives will be worse in next three to four years, compared with 11% in 2007.
According to Professor Markus, there is also a growing sense of distrust in government and fellow citizens, less individual connectedness and a weakening of communal organisations.

“Current trust in the federal government is low.
  • In 2009, 48% of people trusted the federal government to do the right thing for the Australian people ‘almost always’ or ‘most of the time’; in 2011 this fell to 30%,” Professor Markus says.
  • “The asylum seeker issue contributes to this decline in trust. There is significant division over the policy that government should be following,” says Professor Markus.
The survey registers broad support for a non-discriminatory immigration program and for the humanitarian component, which selects refugees overseas (with only 9% opposed to their admission into Australia). However, this positive sentiment doesn’t extend to those arriving irregularly by boat.
  • Of concern, 44% of respondents consider that racial prejudice in Australia has increased over the last five years, compared with 14% who believe it has decreased. In 2011, 46% of Australians believe most people can be trusted, compared with 53% in 2007.
Peter Scanlon, Chairman of The Scanlon Foundation says the 2011 Mapping Social Cohesion report highlights important attitudinal shifts and issues that need to be addressed to protect our nation’s social cohesion.

“Australia is one of the most socially cohesive and culturally diverse nations in the world and that’s something we need to work on maintaining,” Mr Scanlon said.“Addressing issues such as tolerance and community involvement at a government, business, community and individual level is paramount.”
  • </SPAN>The 2011 Scanlon-Monash Index of Social Cohesion is at 93.8 compared with 101.2 in 2009, due largely to a downward 25 point shift in the area of acceptance (tolerance) – one of the key social cohesion indicators.

The top four problems Australians are concerned about, according to the 2011 Mapping Social Cohesion report are:
  1. The economy, unemployment and poverty
  2. Environment climate change, carbon tax and water shortages
  3. Quality of government/politicians
  4. Immigration and population growth and asylum seekers

What is social cohesion?

Social cohesion relates to social connectedness in a community and its sense of unity, trust, belonging, acceptance and tolerance. It is a key factor in social stability and harmony.
About the ‘Mapping Social Cohesion’ report:

The 2011 report surveyed 2000 people aged between the ages of 18 and 55+ across Australia, with 81 questions covering key social cohesion indicators: population, immigration, government, trust and social acceptance/tolerance. The 2011 report builds on three previous reports into the social cohesion issues since 2007.
About Professor Andrew Markus (Twitter @andrew_markus):

Professor Andrew Markus is an expert on issues of race, religion, immigration and demographic and attitudinal change in Australia. As the lead researcher and report author, Professor Andrew Markus of Melbourne’s Monash University, is available to provide comment on Australian’s attitudes toward asylum seekers, government, trust, race and the divisions of opinion between and within the Liberal, Labor and Greens supporters/voters.

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
what Australians are concerned about it's also what immigrants(probably more as they faced more uncertainty eg. discrimination,lack of family support, make new friends etc.) are experiencing these days. Without immigrants this country is stagnant and will not move forward. Australians have been ripped-off for years from paying one of the highest goods & services in the world - it's only via population growth and immigration there are now more variety of goods and competition in prices (eg. 3/vodafone is owned by hk tycoon, Beng Lee was setup by a chinese immigrant).

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beng Lee? I think you are referring to Bing Lee. You guys over in the east are getting cheap stuff, with Aldi and asian-run stores

I still prefer a smaller city because it is easier to make friends. The Eastern Europeans, Italians, Kiwis and Brits migrants are friendly, even 3rd generation Aussies who schoolled with Malaysian/Vietnamese mates are fair dinkums. But it is hard to make friends when I do not take public transport. From a lockup home garage to the office carpark and back home again. So, I watch footy with my mates and make it a point to turn up for Fridays drinks, sign up for gym membership. There are a number of lonely shellas out there too. :biggrin:

With immigrants, you pay third world cheap prices while earning first world salary.
When I go Hong Kong, I eat at Michellin star posh restaurants and stay in 5-star hotels and I do not feel the pinch!
I come back to Australia and charge high fees to pay for my lifestyle, that retailer Gerry Harvey can only dream of at present. :biggrin:

Gerry Harvey is a retail dinosaur, selling imported goods at Aussie prices - but at least white goods prices have dropped a lot, and I will get electronics goods here since the prices are similar to Singapore's but with a lot better consumer protection. Eg getting a refund for a NetTop PC on the basis that it does not work. Actually it was an impulse buy.

Do you know why Australia is nicknamed Down Under?

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's the immigrants that make this country so great ( though we do get the rotten ones as well) where u can find good italian cruisine, greek, japanese, korean, chinese, viet etc. and cheap imports.

making friends via sports is the easiest path as there is no cultural boundary. Immigrants and immigrants(does not matter where you'll from) usually can become good mates as long both willing to open up.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's the immigrants that make this country so great ( though we do get the rotten ones as well) where u can find good italian cruisine, greek, japanese, korean, chinese, viet etc. and cheap imports.

making friends via sports is the easiest path as there is no cultural boundary. Immigrants and immigrants(does not matter where you'll from) usually can become good mates as long both willing to open up.

The white settlers did win the Nobel Prizes. The builder generation did great things for Australia - consider the remoteness.

Yes, it is like Singapore where the immigrants make the country great. Even Westfield is founded by immigrants.

To put in perspective. When we are complaining is also what the FTs are complaining about Singapore-bred.

So far, South Australia is one state that remember Immigrant's contributions by setting up a museum.

There are talk of an Australian apology for Chinese who suffered racism during the gold rush days. Still consider the late adoption of asian immigrants, dim sim and sushi have found its way into the mainstream. That is a good thing.

Some of the asian migrants attend church to make friends :smile:

Others do volunteer work or help neighbours (eg build fence)

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 2011 report finds a positive shift in attitudes towards ethnic groups that were stigmatised in Australia in recent decades. 97% of people now accept those from Italy and Greece. 89% of people accept people from Asia. However, in 2011, 25% of people are negative toward immigrants from Middle Eastern countries such as Iraq and Lebanon.

With regards to Middle Eastern countries migrants, had an interest discussion with my aussie colleague. Its not that they don't want them here. But that they perceive them as not willing to integrate into aussie society. I mentioned the vietnamese, and how after 2nd, 3rd generation they are fully assimilated into the culture here. I suppose it may just be a matter of time before the middle eastern do the same.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
well the differences is in Sg FTs or whatever u name them are welcomed with open arms and everything is well organised for them even before they landed the little island. In OZ, you have to do everything by yourself (if no friends or family support) to get settle down (usually a couple of months).

Asians formed about 7% of total population (and rising) so people are getting used to interacting with them. At the end of the day, i guess it's up to you to standout for yourself and do not let the racial thing get in the way. One of my kiwi mates often complains about the 'laidback' style of Aussies so there's rivalry between nationalities. I guess a lot of late (those migrated here as adults) immigrants never really settle down as the true 'aussies' be it the irish, kiwis, greeks, pommies, french, yanks , sporeans etc. as their roots with their home country are still very strong, and partly they don't quite appreciate or approve of the system here. Most are here to 'milk' the good lifestyle but along the way whining and whining but it's just the way it goes. What I notice is those immigrants from the less developed countries or suffered hardship eg. Vietnam, sri lanka, indonesia etc. tend to appreciate and adore this country more.

For me, I'm neutral. I never enjoyed or watched any of the aussie dramas as i think they suck if comparing with the American ones. I enjoy their documentary / or debate show more .eg ABC. Footy- i support the NZ team. I was a supporter of the Swiss win over Aussies in the Davis Cup (never liked Hewitt) but happy for Stosur to win the US open.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With regards to Middle Eastern countries migrants, had an interest discussion with my aussie colleague. Its not that they don't want them here. But that they perceive them as not willing to integrate into aussie society. I mentioned the vietnamese, and how after 2nd, 3rd generation they are fully assimilated into the culture here. I suppose it may just be a matter of time before the middle eastern do the same.

Usually, it is the Muslim migrants who are more "traditional" and, while the women tend to integrate better then men, the men became even more "traditional".

Lebanese Christians assimilated into the mainstream better. One notable case is VIC ex-Premier Steve Bracks is a Lebanese Aussie.

One interesting group is Malay Christmas Islanders moving to the mainland Perth. They have their own Malay Kampong somewhere south west of Perth.

Also more Malays in OZ?
http://sophiandy.blogspot.com/2009/11/more-malays-move-to-australia.html

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually, it is the Muslim migrants who are more "traditional" and, while the women tend to integrate better then men, the men became even more "traditional".

Lebanese Christians assimilated into the mainstream better. One notable case is VIC ex-Premier Steve Bracks is a Lebanese Aussie.

One interesting group is Malay Christmas Islanders moving to the mainland Perth. They have their own Malay Kampong somewhere south west of Perth.

Also more Malays in OZ?
http://sophiandy.blogspot.com/2009/11/more-malays-move-to-australia.html

So what does integration and assimilation mean apart from watching footy & going to the pubs for drinks friday after work? The Aussie dramas and talk shows are hideous to watch. (I must say I can't recognise any of the local celebrities apart from a handful of them and those usually are those made it to hollywood) Perhaps the landscape in Sydney is international so we don't really differentiate who are Aussies here and who are not (u recognise them when they start speaking in Aussie accents)

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The white settlers did win the Nobel Prizes. The builder generation did great things for Australia - consider the remoteness.

Yes, it is like Singapore where the immigrants make the country great. Even Westfield is founded by immigrants.

To put in perspective. When we are complaining is also what the FTs are complaining about Singapore-bred.

So far, South Australia is one state that remember Immigrant's contributions by setting up a museum.

There are talk of an Australian apology for Chinese who suffered racism during the gold rush days. Still consider the late adoption of asian immigrants, dim sim and sushi have found its way into the mainstream. That is a good thing.

Some of the asian migrants attend church to make friends :smile:

Others do volunteer work or help neighbours (eg build fence)

It is so nice to witness and hear about proper human being behaviours..:smile:

Doing stuffs to make the society better.