• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Australian Election - Latest Updates: Bill Shorten concedes defeat, Scott Morrison to return as PM

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Australian Election - Latest Updates: Bill Shorten concedes defeat, Scott Morrison to return as PM
David Crowe06:
26, May 19 2019

1558203995075.jpg

Scott Morrison (left) looks set to pull off a stunning turnaround to return Coalition government to power, after a nightmare scenario unfolded for Labor leader Bill Shorten (right).

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has claimed victory in a stunning political "miracle" that has devastated the Labor Party, forced Bill Shorten to step down as its leader and reshaped Australian politics.

Mr Morrison vowed to get "back to work" after holding power at the federal election in a shock result that puts the Coalition on course for a narrow majority in federal Parliament.

"I have always believed in miracles," Mr Morrison said to a cheering audience of Liberal supporters in Sydney at midnight on Saturday (early Sunday morning, NZT), shortly after he had received a phone call from Mr Shorten conceding defeat.

1558203995075.jpg

SUPPLIED
Former Australian PM Tony Abbott has lost his seat after 25 years.

Shorten had been favoured in exit polls and made significant gains in some seats in New South Wales and Victoria, while independent candidate Zali Steggall defeated former prime minister Tony Abbott in Warringah.

But his bid to become Australia's 31st Prime Minister - through a platform of tax, wages and climate policy reform - was in deep trouble with his party suffering damaging defeats in key electorates the party needed to claim power.

READ MORE:
* Australian election almost neck-and-neck, poll shows
* Australia on track for yet another prime minister
* Australian PM's government on track for major election defeat

1558203995075.jpg

MICHAEL MASTERS/GETTY IMAGES
Barnaby Joyce has won his seat in New England.

Mr Shorten announced he would stand down as Labor leader while staying in Parliament, adding the federal election campaign had been "toxic at times" but that Labor had fought for ambitious change.

The election result was yet to be finalised at the end of election night, with several seats in doubt, but the Coalition defied the opinion polls to hold its ground and win seats from Labor.

With almost three quarters of the vote counted, the Coalition had 74 of the 151 seats in the House of Representatives and was within sight of forming government in its own right or with support in a hung Parliament.

1558203995075.jpg

GETTY IMAGES
Tony Abbott shakes hands with Zali Steggall, who won the seat of Warringah from him.

The Prime Minister said the election was a victory for the "quiet Australians" rather than about the Liberal Party or himself.
"Tonight is about every single Australian who depends on their government to put them first," he said.

"That is exactly what we are going to do. Our government will come together after this night and we will get back to work.

1558203995075.jpg

TRACEY NEARMY/GETTY IMAGES
Senior Liberal party member - and former leadership contender - Peter Dutton held his Queensland seat.

"That is our task and that is my undertaking to Australians from one end of the country to the other.

"I said I was going to burn for you and I am – every single day."

Mr Shorten singled out Labor deputy Tanya Plibersek, shadow treasurer Chris Bowen and Senate leader Penny Wong for praise in a concession speech to party supporters in Melbourne.

Australia’s election campaign overshadowed by death of former PM Bob Hawke. He was 89.

"I know that you're all hurting and I am too," Mr Shorten said.

Two days after the death of Labor hero Bob Hawke, Mr Shorten said he had wanted to achieve victory for Australians who needed better healthcare, an expanded Medicare, greater school funding and other policies.

"Gee, I wish we could have formed a government for these Australians on this evening. I wish we could have won for the true believers, for our brothers and sisters in the mighty trade union movement," he said.

"I wish we could have done it for Bob."

Mr Morrison, who won the leadership after Malcolm Turnbull was deposed in a leadership coup last August, was on track in late counting to secure the 76 seats needed to form government and secure one of the most impressive victories in the Liberal Party's history.

Mr Morrison's presidential-style campaign focussing on income tax cuts and risks to the economy under Labor led the Coalition to significant gains in Queensland and Tasmania while limiting losses NSW and Victoria. His staunch opposition to Mr Shorten's plans to tax higher-income earners appears to have resonated with voters living outside inner-city seats.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton celebrated his victory over Labor candidate Ali France in the Queensland seat of Dixon by quoting former Labor prime minister Paul Keating.

"This is the sweetest victory of all," Mr Dutton said, before paying tribute to Mr Morrison.

"He's been able to campaign in marginal seats, he's been able to put pressure on Bill Shorten, and it's what Bill Shorten deserved."

Labor leader Bill Shorten had been a warm favourite and made gains in some seats in NSW and Victoria, while independent candidate Zali Steggall defeated former prime minister Tony Abbott in Warringah. However, the result represents a devastating defeat for the former union leader whose position as leader of the ALP is now in grave danger.

His bid to become Australia's 31st Prime Minister - through an ambitious platform of tax, wages and climate policy reform - receded as election night went on.
Labor infrastructure spokesman Anthony Albanese acknowledged the opposition had a "redistributive agenda" by increasing some taxes to fund health and education, as well as taking action on climate change and do more for indigenous Australians. Mr Albanese praised Mr Shorten and accepted responsibility for the outcome as a member of the frontbench team.

Mr Albanese blamed a Coalition "scare campaign" for the outcome, a view also put by Labor deputy leader Tanya Plibersek.

The Coalition, which has trailed Labor in the polls throughout its turbulent time in government, went in to the campaign with 74 seats and added to that tally across Queensland, where it defeated Labor in Longman and Herbert. Queensland was a disaster for Labor which recorded a 26.6 per cent primary vote in the Sunshine State.

The Coalition also wrested the Tasmanian seat of Braddon from Labor and appeared likely to claim the neighbouring electorate of Bass as well.

With the electorate enduring more than a decade of unprecedented parliamentary bloodletting - Australia has had seven Prime Ministers in 11 years - many neutral observers were hoping for a period of political stability.

However, the result shows the nation is divided along geographic and ideological lines with Mr Abbott declaring a political "realignment" with Labor making gains in progressive wealthy seats and the Coalition doing better in working class areas.

A group of key independents could still hold the key to power.

Mr Abbott said the Coalition would be able to retain government even though he conceded he would lose his seat of Warringah, a safe Liberal electorate for years that came under attack from independent candidate Zali Steggall and her campaign for more action on climate change.

"The good news is that there is every chance the Liberal National Coalition has won this election," Mr Abbott said.

"This is a really extraordinary result, it is a stupendous result, it is a great result for Scott Morrison and the rest of the Liberal team, and Scott Morrison will quite rightly enter the Liberal pantheon forever."

Sydney Morning Herald

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Australian election: Coalition to win government - PM hails it as 'miracle'; Labor leader resigns

19 May, 2019 6:15am
6 minutes to read

L5K4ELG42BHCPNVP7ZD6KSIM6Y.jpg

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison, left, is assisted by his wife, Jenny, as he casts his ballot in a federal election in Sydney. Photo / AP
news.com.au

Scott Morrison has swept to victory in a sensational Australian federal election result that defied the polls and cements the Coalition's power.

The Coalition is on track to win government, fending off Labor and Bill Shorten's efforts to take over as prime minister.

As it stands, the Coalition is headed to form a minority government at least, but could still reach the 76 seats needed to form a majority government. There is no longer any path to victory for Labor.

The Coalition appears so far to have won 74 seats. Labor has won 65. The Greens, Centre Alliance and Katter's Australia Party have all taken one seat each. Four seats remain in doubt.

In a jubilant victory speech at the Liberal Party official election night function at Sydney's Sofitel Wentworth hotel, Mr Morrison acknowledged the surprise win saying, "I have always believed in miracles".

The Prime Minister said Shorten had contacted him to concede defeat, and said he thanked the Labor leader for his "kind remarks to me and Jenny".

"I would like to wish him and Chloe and his family all the best and God's blessings," he said.

On stage with his wife Jenny and two daughters, Morrison said he was standing with "the three biggest miracles of my life".

"And tonight we've been delivered another one!" he said.

"How good is Australia! And how good are Australians!"

Related articles:
WORLDAustralian election: Labor's humiliating defeat - why it fell apart for Shorten
19 May, 2019 6:25am
4 minutes to read

BUSINESSBudget 2019: Why NZ is one step ahead of Australia
16 May, 2019 7:00pm
5 minutes to read

BUSINESSHuge warning sign for Australian economy
27 Apr, 2019 9:06am
5 minutes to read

Shorten called on Labor's supporters to respect the election result, revealing he is standing down as leader of the party in the wake of its defeat.
"I know that you're all hurting. And I am too," he told supporters in Melbourne just after 11:30pm Australian time.

"It is obvious that Labor will not be able to form the next government. And so, in the national interest, a short time ago I called Scott Morrison to congratulate him.

"I wish Jenny and their daughters all the very best, and above all, I wish Scott Morrison good fortune and good courage in the service of our great nation.

"Now that the contest is over, all of us have a responsibility to respect the result, respect the wishes of the Australian people and to bring our nation together.
"However, that task will be one for the next leader of the Labor Party, because while I intend to continue to serve as the member for Maribyrnong, I will not be a candidate in the next leadership ballot."

The bombshell triumph for Morrison came after repeated polls placed the ALP ahead of the Government, and the Prime Minister's demise appeared assured.
Swings to the Coalition in Queensland turned the election on its head as early figures suggested the Government could hold on.

Labor scrutineers told news.com.au older voters punished the party for its higher-taxing agenda.

States where the economy is not thriving – such as Queensland, WA and country areas – backed the Liberals' agenda focused on the economy and jobs.
"A bold agenda is now dead forever in Australia," a Labor scrutineer says as it became clear the election was turning against Shorten.

As the votes came in confidence began to grown among Liberal surporters. At the official Liberal Party function in Sydney exuberant young Liberal supporters were heard chanting that the Liberals were "an election-winning machine".

IPXNRHXX6NG2ZPXN3UPVNLDIDI.jpg

Australian opposition leader Bill Shorten and his wife Chloe eat a sausage sandwich on a federal election day in Melbourne. Photo / AP

"Labor used to be party for the workers, now it's a party for people who don't work," one said.

Although former PM Tony Abbott lost his seat of Warringah to independent Zali Steggall, the Wentworth by-election result was reversed, with Liberal Dave Sharma reclaiming the old seat of Malcolm Turnbull from the woman who defeated him in October, Dr Kerryn Phelps.

But the swing against Labor in Queensland was devastating.

The Australian's columnist Troy Bramston says Labor figures are "stunned and shocked" at the result, which pretty much nobody expected.
"It looks like a diabolical night for the party," Bramston said.

ABC political editor Andrew Probyn said Labor sources told him their chances were "killed" by the Coalition's preference deals with Clive Palmer's United Australia Party and Pauline Hanson's One Nation.

Results then began flowing in from the west.

Labor's Anny Aly held on in the West Australian seat of Cowan while Patrick Gorman retained the seat of Perth.
The Liberal Party won Swan, with Steve Irons being re-elected.

And Attorney-General Christian Porter has won his tough race in Pearce. Fellow minister Ken Wyatt has held on in Hasluck.

Labor gained Chisolm in Victoria. That's the seat former Liberal Julia Banks held, before deciding to contest Flinders instead. Health Minister Greg Hunt defeated her there.

3JERJKLKWZAVNKUVDRFA7X7ZFI.jpg

Tony Abbott conceded defeat in his seat. Photo / File

The Nationals have held Cowper, fending off Rob Oakeshott.
And Liberal MP Lucy Wicks has retained Robertson.

In the days before the eleciton news.com.au's State of the Nation survey placed the Coalition ahead, however, with about 32 per cent saying the Coalition would get their vote, compared to 26 per cent for Labor.

Morrison has also consistently beaten Shorten in the polls as preferred PM, at 58 per cent in the State of the Nation survey compared with 42 per cent for Shorten.

Labor has repeatedly beaten the Coalition in Newspoll surveys, but its leader's approval ratings trailed behind. Last week's poll showed only 38 per cent of respondents thought Shorten would make the better PM to Morrison's 45 per cent, although 51 per cent backed Labor to 49 per cent supporting the Coalition in the two-party preferred vote.

It was a tight race, but the news is a huge blow for Shorten, who had worked hard to rehabilitate his image and appeared to grow in confidence during the campaign. His second election failure is almost certain to spell the end of his leadership, while Morrison will be relieved he has helped the Coalition edge over the line to return for a third term in government.

Morrison's landmark achievement up-ended almost all commentators' predictions, proving polls and general consensus are not always correct, following a pattern of recent global surprises — including the UK's Brexit vote and the election of Donald Trump as US President.

The Prime Minister repeatedly emphasised the Coalition's strength on the economy, promising income tax cuts and lower bills while playing down the threat of climate change.

Morrison was a controversial Immigration Minister under Tony Abbott after the 2013 election, implementing Operation Sovereign Borders before becoming Social Services Minister in a 2014 reshuffle. The MP for Cook in New South Wales was promoted to Treasurer when Malcolm Turnbull became prime minister in 2015, and stepped in as the compromise candidate after a Peter Dutton challenge in August 2018.

But it seems he has been underestimated. After nine months in the job, Morrison has been given the seal of approval by Australia.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So this means what? Asians still welcome to emmigrate there in huge numbers?

scott wants a quality of life for the existing population, of current, roads are too damn over congested, he won't like the idea of inflow of more migrants.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
who'd have thought that tony a once pm and cabinet minister got booted out by a nobody?
He bought this misery upon himself n he makes conservatives look bad as he is just a mean n spiteful person. N ex pms etc getting booted out is democracy at work. Not like singkieland where almost every seat is a safer seat for the pap

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
@Leongsam I know nuts about Australian politics but I heard lots of complain that Australia is very racist society is this true?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good for Australians for choosing a government that will give tax cuts, damn the environment and kick all the non-whites out. And get Aussies to pay more for their own health care.

Another conservative government. Soon, the world will be run by CONservatives and the world will be a great place. Make Earth Great Again.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good for Australians for choosing a government that will give tax cuts, damn the environment and kick all the non-whites out. And get Aussies to pay more for their own health care.

Another conservative government. Soon, the world will be run by CONservatives and the world will be a great place. Make Earth Great Again.

Predictably spoken like the libtard that you are. Whenever one of the 'progressive' politicians fails to win an election/referendum, the sky is obviously falling down. Oh my god the salty tears, gnashing of teeth and histrionics!

Happened also with Brexit, Brazil, Austria, Poland, Italy, Hungary. :rolleyes::roflmao:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Predictably spoken like the libtard that you are. Whenever one of the 'progressive' politicians fails to win an election/referendum, the sky is obviously falling down. Oh my god the salty tears, gnashing of teeth and histrionics!

Happened also with Brexit, Brazil, Austria, Poland, Italy, Hungary. :rolleyes::roflmao:

I support the CONmen. It is so natural to be a CON. It is in us. To be liberal is to fight against human nature. Australia is for only whites. All non-whites should accept the hierarchy and if they are willing to accept that role, white Australians can accept some of the non-whites as there are jobs that they could do. But no right of permanent abode.
As for climate change, Australia can just ignore it. The island is surrounded by sea. Desalination will provide all the water Australia needs. Coal which Australia has in abundance will provide the electricity for desalination. Everything is good in Australia.
What sky is falling? Only idiots think so.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Election 2019: How the polls got it so wrong in predicting a Labor victory
BY PAIGE COCKBURN AND BELLINDA KONTOMINAS
UPDATED ABOUT 2 HOURS AGO
Email Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
A crocodile jumps from the water and leaps up to a picture of Bill Shorten while a picture of Scott Morrison hangs to the right
PHOTO Even the NT News' psychic croc, Burt, made a bad call.
SUPPLIED: NT NEWS/KATRINA BRIDGEFORD
It was predicted to be the federal election Labor simply couldn't lose, but after last night's surprise Coalition win, the opinion poll may struggle to stand the test of time.

Key points:
Years of polling predicted a Labor victory with exit polls putting Bill Shorten in front by 52-48
Former Newspoll boss said robocalls and internet polling have led to inaccuracies
ABC election analyst Antony Green says there could be less polling in future elections
Experts say cost cutting and technological change in the polling process is leading to many inaccurate and misleading suggestions.

Nearly all polls predicted Bill Shorten would have an easy win with a 51:49 lead over Prime Minister Scott Morrison on a two-party preferred basis.

In fact, for two years the polls had picked the Opposition to take government.

EMBED:
Federal election 2019: Live results
Instead it was a shock loss for Labor which was hit by a blue sweep through Queensland, less than desirable results in Victoria and a return to the status quo in Western Australia.

Bill Shorten waves as he walks onto the stage on the night of the federal election.
PHOTO Outgoing Labor leader Bill Shorten waves to the crowd after his concession speech.
ABC NEWS: MATT ROBERTS
So why exactly were the polls, as ABC political editor Andrew Probyn put it last night, such a "shambles"?

Former Newspoll boss Martin O'Shannessy blamed the flawed forecasting on the fact that many people's telephone habits have changed.

"The reason that it's hard to do good telephone polling is because the old White Pages — the phone book — doesn't exist anymore," he said.

"Not everybody has a landline and the numbers that are published are incomplete."

EXPERT ELECTION ANALYSIS:

Scott Morrison goes from accidental Prime Minister to homespun hero

What went wrong for Labor? These six towns might reveal some clues

With a 'miracle' result, Scott Morrison has the mandate to do whatever he likes — so what will it be?

Scott Morrison turned Labor's strategy into perfect weapon to defeat them

Why Queensland turned its back on Labor and helped Scott Morrison to victory
1 of 5

Mr O'Shannessy said until he left Newspoll in 2015, the company had used probability sampling — where a random sample of telephone numbers are called across the country to reflect the population.

"It was successful because it allowed every potential voter to have a say in the poll," he said.

ABC election analyst Antony Green agreed the sampling used to be much more reliable.

"They switched from an operator asking questions to randomly calling mobile numbers and robocalls," he said.

"There has been a drop off in response rates and there has also been a drop off in the quality of the data."

Social media the answer?
One man who did predict a Scott Morrison stay said traditional polling was past its used by date.

Data mining expert from Griffith University Professor Bela Stantic, who predicted Donald Trump's election to US presidency and Brexit, uses his own methods to gauge opinion.

A man looks at a camera with a colourful, complicated graph on a computer behind him.
PHOTO Bela Stantic believes social media comments and data will be the future of election polling.
SUPPLIED: GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY
"I am able to assess the opinions of people through their social media … other polling has a much smaller sample.

"I must [just] be careful of fake news."

Through his own independent research, Professor Stantic analysed 2 million social media comments relating to key terms and predicted Labor would not pick up the key seats needed.

Full election results
Live election results
Search all electorates, find out which seats are changing, and keep up-to-date on the latest vote count.
Mr O'Shannessy said news polls could be more accurate if the industry was able to access the Government's Integrated Public Number Database (IPND) — which contains all listed and unlisted numbers across the country and is used by emergency services and law enforcement.

Marketing and polling companies have been lobbying the Government over the issue for a decade, arguing access would provide better information on the country's need for government services.

Until then, Antony Green believes there could be fewer polls in future elections.

"We saw a lot fewer polls in this election campaign than previous campaigns because media outlets don't have the money they used to," he said.

"Perhaps we will see a change in how many polls are done in the future … but it's always up to people whether they trust them or not."

POSTED YESTERDAY AT 3:56PM
SHAREEmail Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
RELATED
Morrison hasn't yet reached a majority. Here's what happens now
Morrison can thank UAP's 'Shifty Shorten' ads for returning him to Lodge, Palmer says
With Shorten, Abbott and Palmer gone, Morrison can genuinely do whatever he likes
Top Stories