• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Arrogant NTU valedictorian's speech

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
A speech by Darren Woo Hon Fai, a sociology major and valedictorian from Nanayang Technological University's (NTU) Humanities and Social Sciences faculty has caused a heated debate among netizens.

This stems from a disparaging remark he made about his counterparts who were majoring in Chinese.

This is not the first time a valedictorian from NTU has caused a stir on line, with Ms Trinetta Chong, blurting out "We f***ing did it!" at the end of her speech in 2011.

In the video that has already been viewed over 17,000 times on YouTube, he speaks about honouring your parents and then goes on to remark, "And this is for the Chinese majors who probably have not gotten anything I have just said in English" before quoting a Chinese proverb in Mandarin, "Hope for sons to be dragons, daughters to be phoenixes".

A soft 'booing' can be heard in the video when he does this, to which he remarks, 'I can speak Mandarin too."

The video has already garnered strong opposing views to his speech.

An Adrias Tan commented on YouTube saying, "very condescending and patronising speech, I'm utterly mortified his draft was actually approved and 'endorsed' by the institution".

Another Neil Wang queried, "Why were people cheering? I certainly would not applaud for this narcissistic a**."

However, a netizen by the moniker, 'limnieng' pointed out that what Darren said could have been unintentional and simply used it as a transitioning point to his Chinese proverb.

The netizen also then goes to add that his remark is unbecoming of his stature as a valedictorian and wonders if the "spontaneous nature of his remarks also reveals the deep-seated prejudice and ignorant societal view (and he's a sociology major!) held by him, and possibly by many of his peers, towards those highly proficient in Mandarin."

[email protected]

The chinks are unaware of their own racist attitudes due to their status as the majority group. in a setting amongst friends, what he said would be funny. Singaporeans get a C grade for their sense of humor.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes exactly. If not LKY and LHL would have given the speeches in Cambridge

Aren't you tired of their speeches ?? especially that goofy that wears pink that speaks with a short tongue...my fingers auto move to the OFF button, his dad, at least, I give it some listening time..then OFF!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The chinks are unaware of their own racist attitudes due to their status as the majority group. in a setting amongst friends, what he said would be funny. Singaporeans get a C grade for their sense of humor.

Can you blame them if turnoffs like vomit Singh and Teeko jack neo can make living here as 'comedians'?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aren't you tired of their speeches ?? especially that goofy that wears pink that speaks with a short tongue...my fingers auto move to the OFF button, his dad, at least, I give it some listening time..then OFF!

Hey i was just pointing out there's no such thing in British unis y

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I watched the video for a minute, and he's trying too hard to be funny, and failing badly, I feel so bad for him that I turn it off.

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y01gz85yH4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WB_27_07_2013_CJ_1_22210576_22209942_ongphg_x1raja.jpg

1001528_567987243259659_752272668_n.jpg

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So asshole shit skin did this chinese guy make a "racist" remark when he mentioned chinese majors? :rolleyes: Pls only come in to troll if he mentions your shit skin language.

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal
He speaks like someone I knew in Sec 2. My kakis and I dragged him to the toilet and pushed his head into the toilet bowl.... and flushed.