• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are these Tasmanian Salmon Good?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Salmon tastes better raw than cooked. :p

Depends. Salmon Fish Head curry is quite good. Salmon skin grilled over a BBQ and basted with teriyaki sauce is damn good too. Pan fried is also very tasty.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Whether worth it or not is up to the individual. But you should educate yourself first before you buy it. I want to qualify myself by saying that I love salmon and have eaten them from many places. Both fresh/raw, smoked (in Lox and bagel), and prepared in many ways. I love a big pile of smoked salmon with a cream cheese bagel. Yum Yum.

Firstly, there is no such thing as a Tasmanian Salmon. I don't think its a native fish species. What they call Tasmanian salmon is actually Atlantic salmon imported and farmed in Tasmania. As such, i don't think its the best type of salmon available. Commercially farmed Atlantic salmon among salmon species is relatively one of the cheapest to buy. Wild caught Pink and Chum from the US and Canada West coast are the other cheap ones. the best salmon in my opinion is Sockeye salmon, because the flesh is bright red and very delicious. Others prefer Chinook or King salmon because the meat is high in fat and melts in your mouth.

If you want to buy this salmon, check the price of atlantic farmed salmon if that is available. If the atlantic farmed salmon is cheaper, I would buy that because the taste is going to be about the same. just my opinion.

You can check the gills and the eye clarity to see if its fresh or not. But flight time to singapore is over 8 hours from tasmania. I am sure they did not freeze it otherwise it cannot be called fresh. So even if its caught from the farm, packed in ice, shipped to the airport and flown to singapore, should be out of the water for over 12 hours. Your call.

Interesting...i will pay more attention in future. he g ah..lucky never buy :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Yeah agree about grilled salmon and teriyaki sauce. Papsmearer, can advise where to try salmon fish head curry? Thks.

Depends. Salmon Fish Head curry is quite good. Salmon skin grilled over a BBQ and basted with teriyaki sauce is damn good too. Pan fried is also very tasty.

Yep...though grilled salmon is good too..:biggrin:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Yeah agree about grilled salmon and teriyaki sauce. Papsmearer, can advise where to try salmon fish head curry? Thks.

salmon fish head with curry may not be a nice combi... not sure leh... cos curry generally goes with white fish..:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my best fillet of sockeye salmon (front dark rear red) was in alaska where the fish was caught wild and grilled fresh off the water with outside caramelized and inside half cooked. salmon fishing rules are very strict on the pacific coast of north america as some salmon species are being overfished and becoming more rare. for example in norcal coho salmon (silver in ocean but dark grey on top and red at bottom during spawning) is becoming endangered as their natural spawning habitat is upstream among rivers north of sf. due to years of water diversion to the delta and the aqueduct for farming in the central valley plus years of drought, the population of coho has reached critical stage as there is not enough water in the river system for salmon to spawn upstream. coho is only a few salmon species that go as far south as norcal. the best salmon fishing routes are from the bering straits near russia down to alaska and bc. coho is not endangered in alaska. the larger salmon species such as chinook is best caught in the ocean although alaska has a thriving and effective way of farming salmon using hatcheries near the mouth of rivers rather than upstream. all wild salmon will die off in spawning pools anyway after mating and laying eggs. hatcheries near freshwater mouth of rivers tricked salmon into spawning there and laying their eggs. by instinct they sniff freshwater and head towards the direction of where they are spawned to mate and die. at hatcheries, farmers remove their roe before the fish is harvested for meat and mixed them with sperm for hatching (to be thrown back to ocean). the fish that is harvested will die anyway, so why not harvest them before they die? and there's no waste of roe and sperm. most hatched young salmon will go back to ocean and return for the spawning cycle when they mature. imo, the alaska system is pretty good in maintaining an excellent "natural" ecosystem and at the same time maximizing the yield of salmon stock to satisfy market demands.

Last edited: