• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are Government agencies even employing?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/10/14/are-government-agencies-even-employing/

Are Government agencies even employing?
October 14th, 2010 | Author: Contributions
Hi there,

I am not sure whether am I the first one to write to TR with regards to experiences in application for government jobs.

A couple of weeks back someone posted on TR (the topic was concerning the posting of public sector jobs by BCA/HDB on Contact Singapore) that he applied for many government jobs with no replies. To be frank, I was shocked to see back then that there was at least 326 public sector jobs put up for ‘foreign talents’ including those i applied for on the Contact Singapore website.

But currently I have a suspicion that the government agencies are not even employing in the first place! Having a rather specialized degree from a local university, there are only that few government jobs available for me so i keep a rather close look out for them. One such place that I kept a look out is DSTA whereby they have several job opportunities. I first applied on 6 September and the jobs’ application deadlines were 1 week later. Strangely enough, a day after the application deadline expired on 12 Sep, all the jobs’ application deadlines were extended to 12 Oct. The rest of the jobs with slightly later expiry dates were subsequently extended to Oct as well.

I went to DSTA site to check today and guess what? The deadlines were extended to Nov 2010!!! Sadly I did not keep screen shots but I assure you, most of these job postings were there for at least 2 months.

Now, I might not be the first in my graduating cohort but I am definitely in the top tier. The jobs I applied for do not require experience. So since i fit the bill, why didnt they even call me up for interviews? Better still, some of the jobs were listed in Contact Singapore. I am not sure but both local and foreign talents do not fit their unknown criteria? Or is it a case whereby if I am the only one whom applied they will not call me for interview?

Well the only plausible reason that I am left with would be that they are not even employing in the first place: SOMEBODY is just putting blank job openings (or opportunities) to suggest to people that there are plenty of jobs for Singaporeans!

Since obviously the government agencies would not give me a reply, I hoped that TR would be able to dig out some dirt and let Singaporeans know the truth. Cheers!!!!

Regards.

Adrian Tan

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there is 1 opening and only 1 person comes for the interview, the interviewee expects that there is no competition and he will be recruited?

Reminds us of the lady who got 2 masters and got rejected by the School for studying tourism because she was deemed loud and aloof.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
methinks its obvious u r a peasant with a sense of entitlement. you should have studied law if you're not a white horse eltitist... gahmen very hi-standadr one u kniow?

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
Government agencies tend to employ minorities especially malay for clerical work. If you are chinese, it is harder to get those clerical jobs.

pc2009

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think they still have some budget to be spent by end of the year, so why not pass it to SPH? Also, they can gather info on employment situations.

sherrry

Alfrescian
Loyal
very soon, we will see more & more foreign nationals working at MOM, so they can address foreign workers' complaints, because they need people that speak their native languages.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If there is 1 opening and only 1 person comes for the interview, the interviewee expects that there is no competition and he will be recruited?

Reminds us of the lady who got 2 masters and got rejected by the School for studying tourism because she was deemed loud and aloof.

LOL. Some pple are too dumb to understand the concept that companies hire the right pple and not the only pple available. The fact that the idiot came up with that letter goes to show DSTA was right not to hire him

Come to think of it my friend told me about a job opening in a sensitive IT position from DSTA and whether I was interested. Apparently my friend's manager had heard about it from his friend in DSTA seeking the right IT pple for the job and have not been able to find any for quite some time. My friend's manager who was Malaysian was ineligible coz of the sensitivity of the job, and he certainly wasn't going to intro my friend and loss a subordinate which is why my friend asked if I was interested. Maybe we're talking about the same post.

Seriously I think implying that government agency reserving post for foreigners is ridiculous. If those job openings were open to Foreigners, they probably would not be open for very long. And implying that they post vacant job for the sake of doing it is even more ridiculous. Doing so achieves nothing. Even if they wanted to create the illusion that there are jobs available, given SG culture of job hopping and the sheer number of pple working in a civil job, it is unlikely that at any given time all available jobs are taken up.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strange for this Adrian Tan to even think about joining the civil service...

posterrb6.jpg

After watching this movie, he should know how they work...

metadata

Alfrescian
Loyal
DSTA is quite strict in employing based on nationality, even converted citizen or those with minor offense police record will be excluded.
You might also wanna check did you pass NS with at no black mark.

However in such organisation efficiency and money saving is not in their prime list.
There are cases where the position is filled and yet the advert is still extended.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a useless piece of shit Adrian is. So what if he has a specialized degree? He could be ugly as shit in his resume photo and that would still mean he is still fucked!