• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any watch but ROLEX thread.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me Rolex is only for Ah Peks and wannabees, gamblers, who think the value will last forever.

Believe me, it will not. Already reached plateau. No more value for money.

Besides, even PRC mei meis are no longer interested in Rolex {unless of course some Singapore sucker buy for them}, and will sell them when the first opportunity comes.

I start off with 2 brands. Feel free to add.

1. Audemars Piguet.......bestest for the young and old

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/watch-collection/

2. Tag Heuer

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-us/watc...VFIvICh1t_AKrEAAYASAAEgKeUvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-us/news/two-new-manchester-united-special-edition

啊中母鸡排真好吃

Alfrescian
Loyal
my is gshock. no money to buy. 6kcelery, after cpf being home about 5kpm. parents not working so about 1k each, i left only 3k. mrt bus sometimes grab already 300pm. only left about 2.5k. then pay insurance, family pub bill, handphone bill. not much left. some months can save $1k. to buy rolex, how many months to save? sometimes i think if girl know my finances, also no dare gosteady with me.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rolex watches will only go up in value

As a teenager, I used to work at my uncle's watch retail store.
If I had the money, I would have bought at least two Rolex watches.
Rolex watches do not depreciate.
I wish my father gave me his gold Rolex watch.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Rolex watches will only go up in value

I have Rolex but while it has gone up in value it will never turn a profit.

I bought it in 1981 for $998. It is now valued at about $6000 to $7000.

However over the last three and a half decades I have spent more than $6000 servicing the damned thing every few years.

Baccara77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mido-All-Dial-Special-Edition-M8340.4.18.19.0600f4075cda.jpg

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Threadstarter started off with a joke about Rolex not retaining value, but then goes on to include a joker watch brand Tag Heuer.

The only saving grace in the post is talking about Audemars Piguet. And u can't go wrong with this classic model.

5a8888a1a1f3a37297ed8492b3d323b6.png

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Lol.... u are the only person who spent so much on servicing the hardy Rolex. Pls do yourself a favor and get a cheapo Timex or G-shock.

Servicing is every 5 years at the cost of about $600 to $700.

The watch is hardy but if you use it daily there is always wear and tear. Adjusting the date to keep it accurate wears the winding crown which needs replacing periodically. If you have a non date model this overhead is reduced because you only need to pull out the crown when to set the time.

After 30 years the digits and the hands no longer glowed in the dark so I changed both watch face and hands.

My watch is in showroom condition and loses less than 10 seconds a month since the last service 2 years ago. I could have halved the maintenance costs by stretching the service frequency but I love my watch and want it to function daily in tip top condition.

https://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/95522-how-much-is-a-rolex-service-these-days/

NgahLatLou

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me old already and not much money for luxury stuffs.
Can only afford Casio brand.
Care less about maintenance and servicing.
Also no need change battery as most of them are running solar these days.

Maximuz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless you are interested in a watch's mechanisms (chronograph, tourbillon, co-axial escapement, etc), and are intrigued by the engineering genius behind mechanical watches, nobody should buy a watch above $300 really. And don't forget about servicing costs too, as Sam pointed out.

That said, Audemars Piguet is one of the best choices anybody can make, with Jaeger LeCoultre being a similarly tasteful and elegant choice. AP's Royal Oak and JLC's Reverso are both all-time classics and held in very high esteem. Below that, I like Seiko as well and not only the Grand Seikos, as they use in-house movements and come up with artistic innovations from time to time, even for their very affordable models.

Rolexes are good quality, with some timeless designs as well (as in you won't be sick of looking at it for 30 years) but vulgar businessmen from the mainland drove their prices beyond crazy so the value you place in them is entirely your own. Above that, you can always opt for Patek Philippe or A. Lange & Sohne if you're rich, or a Roger Smith (the world's best independent watchmaker -- he wears a Rolex, heh) or an F. P. Journe if you're ultra-rich.

Lastly, just... stay away from Tag Heuer. Please.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tag Heuer is overrated and expensive for a brand like that. 20 over years ago they were the in thing.

AP ROOs are good as catching on I consider it an upgrade to Rolex.

Rolex is still good regardless.
The new models now too blingy and loud due to cater to Tiong market.
They lost that understated appeal.
That said Rolex is going up and up. The perfect watch is still a Daytona.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cyma 1862 watches are very good quality too :thumbsup:

I bought one for $480 about twelve years ago now still working very well without any servicing cost. I only change the battery twice at about $25 each time :tongue: