• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

any teachers out here?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree bro, if we can focus on quality education, we can move ahead faster than others. We should not concentrate on elite schools but to include neighbourhood schools.

the ability to think is the hallmark of our civilization and if you think about it, most problems in our society is due to the lack of thinking or too much of second-guessing.

i reckoned the NE committees in the schools will be over-drive mode in due time :eek::eek::eek:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
i dunno but those people who study in sinkie schools seems to e extremely balless. That is not bery healthy.

rather astute in your observations, bro, our society doesn't seem to allow any sort of failure... late bloomers inclusive... very very unhealthy :(:(:(

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Perks were offered to keep the teacher from becoming communist as they formed the biggest component of civil service. This included the first private estate for civil servants, something not even offered to the elite Admin service. As a result teachers and society benefitted.

Agree bro, if we can focus on quality education, we can move ahead faster than others. We should not concentrate on elite schools but to include neighbourhood schools.

bro,

i supposed we can all agree that quality education is the key to survival in our current times and the society will benefit as long as education is the key pillar. with regards to the perks given to educators previously, i reckoned it should move away from any political agenda, mixing education with political agendas can be quite unhealthy. education on its own should be strictly non-partisan and impartial.

having said that, i reckoned that i should quantify by saying this: the key notion of education is to promote thinking, to allow the individual to be able to think independently on his/her own, and making sensible judgment based on the facts available to him/her. to learn how to learn, to learn how to unlearn, and to learn how to relearn.

for the greater good of our civilization, we must learn to think on our own and not allowing ourselves to be herded around like sheep :eek::eek::eek:

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
From your description of your background and motivations, you should definitely take a shot at it.

It's a significantly (though not completely) different experience from your past corporate background - specifically in that your attention will be focused more on your students than on your colleages and bosses (HODs, VP, P, etc). At least if you're a good teacher who has the pupils' welfare at heart, anyway.

Give it a shot. You won't regret it. At the very least, even if you don't stay long term, at least it will be a refreshing and meaningful change of career away from your uninspiring corporate life you've grown to detest and loathe.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ya,you are rite!

From your description of your background and motivations, you should definitely take a shot at it.

It's a significantly (though not completely) different experience from your past corporate background - specifically in that your attention will be focused more on your students than on your colleages and bosses (HODs, VP, P, etc). At least if you're a good teacher who has the pupils' welfare at heart, anyway.

Give it a shot. You won't regret it. At the very least, even if you don't stay long term, at least it will be a refreshing and meaningful change of career away from your uninspiring corporate life you've grown to detest and loathe.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why cannot find job? cannot survive in private sector?
have to go and beg from PAP
for a teaching job.
it is a stressful job. it is not worth it.
your holiday is fixed, you cannot take cheap holiday offers.
kids nowadays are so spoilt and the parent will complain you for the smallest matter.
not worth it.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting, thanks for the info, I've been out of Singapore too long and could only relate to what I have experienced. I suppose if this does continue, PAP could lose in 20 years time?

You are right about young teachers though, I remember meeting teachers that smoke and goes to devil's bar a couple of years back. If only my teachers were that cool back then. :biggrin:

Smoking is cool?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one example of someone who has done well. She only had A level but took up the NIE path and graduated to teach primary. A few years later on MOE expense went to NUS, got an honours degree. She is now a school principal and won the Public Admin Bronzed medal. A decent and personable individual who just enjoyed teaching.

ya,you are rite!