• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any classical music lover here /.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So brother blackmondy, you are already in the know about classical music and so advanced. Appreciate your sharing.

Beside classical music, I guess you may have also listened to opera. Personally my favourites are Turandot, Don Giovanni and Madame Butterfly.

Cheers.

Please don't say until I so sud. I just luv classical music cos it's able to soothe my quick temper and help me relax my mind and body. I am also into portable and desktop hi-fi and classical music is the perfect litmus test for evaluating amps and headphones.

For those opera you mentioned, they're a little too 'heavy' for me. I prefer opera by Mozart like Don Giovanni, Marriage of Figaro and the Magic Flute.

I also luv choral works such as Mozart's Requiem and Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. The latter is hailed as the hardest piece ever performed cos it pushes the limit of the orchestra, singers and choir alike.

Last edited:

skponggol

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beethoven Symphony #5 1st Movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6JVhTXopk&feature=g-vrec
Beethoven Symphony #5 2nd Movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B4gLpemQjo
Beethoven Symphony #5 3rd Movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IAVBBxOI4&feature=relmfu
Beethoven Symphony #5 4th Movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzf_nAR0F0

Beethoven Symphony #9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_GvMEc6Vg&feature=relmfu
(performed to celebrate somebody’s birthday…perhaps the most ironic interpretation of Beethoven’s celebration of humanity and brotherly love at the height of a ‘New World Order’)

A video clip of the performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzXgZjVf8GY

A movie to about the background and aftermath of the performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hh2V_r_TdU

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
[video=youtube;WZXM2eq46_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZXM2eq46_s&feature=fvsr[/video]

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
me is particularly fond of Karen Carpenter :smile::smile::smile:

Yes, she is my favorite singer too. She has the most haunting voice and listening to her songs can transport one back to the 70s. Olivia Newton-John is another of my favorite female singer.

This Japanese lady comes really close to her voice with the blessings of Richard Carpenter.

[video=youtube;bQEGnqcdbeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQEGnqcdbeI[/video]

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will check that out :smile: Just downloaded a version by Gunter Wand which is not too bad.

I just bought John Eliot Gardiner's 1994 DGG recording with the Orchestre Revolutionaire et Romantique, a period instrument ensemble, a 5-CD full symphony cycle at just a little over $60, not a bad value.

My existing Beethoven recordings are all scattered, some Karajan, some Klemperer but the worst is that they are mainly on vinyl discs which I hardly play nowadays and need to be specially connected up for the occasion. Those that I have in CDs are in compilations which are not particularly good.

I bought the Gardiner set purely based on reviews:

"It leaves every other period instrument Beethoven set for dead" said Classic CD.

BBC Music Magazine carried this comment "I felt as if I were hearing [the symphonies] for the first time".

I only have the opportunity to review the 5th and the 6th in the car. I felt a veil had been lifted from some of the older recordings I was more used to. The energy and spontaneity seemed to come through more directly. The period instruments made their presence strongly felt. Generally a well balanced recording for the 5th.

The 6th found the interplay between the wind and the strings fleeting easily from one to the other with amazing lightness, which is just right for this piece.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
me is particularly fond of Karen Carpenter :smile::smile::smile:

Yes Karen Carpenter with her easy style of singing. Amazingly many of her songs are cover versions but she popularized the songs more than the original singers so much so that these got to be associated with her more than the original singers. Do you like Anne Murray?

Last edited:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just bought John Eliot Gardiner's 1994 DGG recording with the Orchestre Revolutinnaire et Romantique, a period instrument ensemble, a 5-CD full symphony cycle at just a little over $60, not a bad value.

My existing Beethoven recordings are all scattered, some Karajan, some Klemperer but the worst is that they are mainly on vinyl discs which I hardly play nowadays and need to be specially connected up for the occasion. Those that I have in CDs are in compilations which are not particularly good.

I bought the Gardiner set purely based on reviews:

"It leaves every other period instrument Beethoven set for dead" said Classic CD.

BBC Music Magazine carried this comment "I felt as if I were hearing [the symphonies] for the first time".

I only have the opportunity to review the 5th and the 6th in the car. I felt a veil had been lifted from some of the older recordings I was more used to. The energy and spontaneity seemed to come through more directly. The period instruments made their presence strongly felt. Generally a well balanced recording for the 5th.

The 6th found the interplay between the wind and the strings fleeting easily from one to the other with amazing lightness, which is just right for this piece.

I can't technically say Gardiner's rendition was accurate as I'm not musically or classically trained. But I find it more lively, musical and enjoyable than those heavy-fisted versions of Karajan or Solti.

The controversial one was Roger Norrington with the London Classical Players....tempos were just too brisk for my liking.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't technically say Gardiner's rendition was accurate as I'm not musically or classically trained. But I find it more lively, musical and enjoyable than those heavy-fisted versions of Karajan or Solti.

The controversial one was Roger Norrington with the London Classical Players....tempos were just too brisk for my liking.

Karajan played to the letter of the score, so do Acturo Toscanini. The one who changes the score most is probably Leopold Stokowski, including leaving out 200 bars of the ninth in one performance.

One thing about this Gardiner recording is that the orchestra used original period instruments which gave it a different sound compared to many orchestras using modern sonically enhanced instruments.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey all you Classical music Bros, do you listen to your music on HiFi home stereo like amp, cd or turntable & speakers or mp3 or on computer or car stereo? Do you use headphones or speakers? I have to wait until my family goes out or on holidays, neighbours not around, not too late at night.. then i can blast it out. Even then i'm always worried someone might complain it's too noisy or kaypoh come & see who playing loud music. So much stress just to be able to play the music i love.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey all you Classical music Bros, do you listen to your music on HiFi home stereo like amp, cd or turntable & speakers or mp3 or on computer or car stereo? Do you use headphones or speakers? I have to wait until my family goes out or on holidays, neighbours not around, not too late at night.. then i can blast it out. Even then i'm always worried someone might complain it's too noisy or kaypoh come & see who playing loud music. So much stress just to be able to play the music i love.

listening to classical music you don't need to turn the volume high, just good enough to hear clarity of each muscial instrument being play, and which direction it is from, feel like you are the conductor....:smile:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
listening to classical music you don't need to turn the volume high, just good enough to hear clarity of each muscial instrument being play, and which direction it is from, feel like you are the conductor....:smile:

Really depends on the piece. For most light pieces, you can listen on your car stereo with all the noise around you. But for some serious works with a wide dynamic sound range, you really need a good hifi system and acoustically controlled environment to fully appreciate the music, otherwise the softer passages will not be perceptible or the loud passages will be too loud for your neighbours.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really depends on the piece. For most light pieces, you can listen on your car stereo with all the noise around you. But for some serious works with a wide dynamic sound range, you really need a good hifi system and acoustically controlled environment to fully appreciate the music, otherwise the softer passages will not be perceptible or the loud passages will be too loud for your neighbours.

I try & listen to all my music regardless of styles & genres on my HiFi, if a piece of music is made by someone, it should be given a chance to be heard at it's best or optimum, sadly that choice is down to us & the artist have no say or control over how we play it back. I see people these days using MP3s for all of their music, i really SimTiah for the people making music, top end & bottom end already chopped off in MP3, how are you going to appreciate the full dynamic range let alone the subtleties of timbre?