• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another Pappy dog Calvin Cheng called Tan Cheng Bock foolish and said voting age should be 25

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Calvin Cheng refutes Tan Cheng Bock, says lowering the voting age to 18 is “foolish”

Mr Cheng is of a contrarian view. In fact he says "I think that not only is lowering the voting age to 18 foolish, the right thing to do would be to raise the voting age to 25”

At the public launch (August 3) of Dr Tan Cheng Bock’s Progress Singapore Party (PSP), both he and Central Executive Committee (CEC) member Michelle Lee spoke about lowering the voting age to 18.
Earlier today (August 6), former People’s Action Party (PAP) Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) Calvin Cheng wrote, “let’s stop with this “if they can defend the country at 18, why can’t they vote” nonsense”, suggesting that the voting age be increased.
During his speech, Secretary –General and founder of PSP Dr Tan said, “At 18, they are old enough to drive, the girls enter university and the boys enter into National Service. Since they have a duty to defend our country, these 18 year olds should also have the right to elect their leaders”, adding that 18 is the voting age of most countries around the world, in all of the other ASEAN countries.

Similarly, Michelle Lee received an astounding response from attendees of the party launch when she too spoke about lowering the voting age.
Today however, in his rebuttal, Calvin Cheng cited three reasons as to why lowering the voting age is “foolish”.
xScreen-Shot-2019-08-06-at-4.15.39-pm-177x300.png.pagespeed.ic.mxle2qRiIG.webp

Firstly, he said, “An 18 year old full-time national serviceman is being trained as a soldier. He is not ready to defend the country until he is …. operationally ready. When his NS training is over, by which time most are 20 to 22 year olds.
NSFs are not even allowed live ammunition unless in highly supervised environments”.
Cheng also cited studies that show that the human brain is not fully developed until age 25.
Lastly, he said that “skin in the game” is important, in the form of life experiences.
“An adult who has struggled through holding to a job, raising a family, and has had years of social interaction with human beings will think very differently from an 18 year old”, he added.
Cheng cited the late Mr Lee Kuan yew, who said in 1994 that adults between 35 to 60 should be given two votes. Mr Lee suggested giving two votes to citizens aged 35 to 60, married with children.
In concluding his post, Cheng wrote, “For these reasons, I think that not only is lowering the voting age to 18 foolish, the right thing to do would be to raise the voting age to 25”.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LOL, Calvin Cheng... never change.

Typical running dog defending his masters.

I am neutral about the voting age issue. If the PAP manages to brainwash a generation of youths, lowering the voting age might be a bad idea.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So Calvin Cheng's brain only fully developed when he was age 25. No wonder he always spout nonsense.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am neutral about the voting age issue. If the PAP manages to brainwash a generation of youths, lowering the voting age might be a bad idea.
KNN correct KNN tcb brought up a redudant topic KNN it is a 3 face bet like sg pool 1X2 KNN with probabilty of home advantages more (pap) KNN those pre uni and ns boys tends to cum and link ns and uni with pap and apparently mostly are proud to serve ns KNN worse is those 70% sinkie parents will ask their children to vote pap and they will just follow the orders KNN

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
In today's world if an 18yrs living in Spore cannot think, kayu Goh will say, he be worried to death! I suppose Calvin Cheng's 18 years old kids still wet in their pants if he has any!

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset

Exactly. It can cut both ways. It's really a non issue.

jw5

Loyal
I was neutral about lowering the voting age when TCB suggested it, but now that Calvin Cheng disagrees with it, I am suddenly for it. :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The good thing about youths is that they have high energy (in theory), so if you field exciting candidates that resonate with them, expect a higher turnout on actual voting day.

Youths who are too young to vote but still want to engage in politics can go volunteer their time, knock on doors, distribute leaflets etc.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My hunch is that the PAP knows very well that those serving NS are damn tulan having to waste 2-21/2 years of their lives. As such, they are not likely to vote for the PAP.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nope shouldnt lower the age...it seems our chaps are very happily serving ns...anytime they are unhappy they will just disobey commands and harikiri at the guard house...so no point giving them a choice to vote

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember those days when Chiam won Potong Pasir?

LKY came out to say that the one man one vote system is wrong...and also votes should be allocated according to educational levels.

All those old enough would have heard it on TV but has all since been removed from any media form.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Remember those days when Chiam won Potong Pasir?

LKY came out to say that the one man one vote system is wrong...and also votes should be allocated according to educational levels.

All those old enough would have heard it on TV but has all since been removed from any media form.
PAP are well known for being BAD LOSERS. It's an unequivocal FACT. :biggrin: