• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Animals are sentient beings and therefore capable of feeling pain

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
May 28, 2010

ANIMAL WELFARE
Don't forget the '3Rs' in research

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
LAST Sunday's article ('Uniquely Singapore lab mice and micro-pigs') reported that new facilities will be set up at Lim Chu Kang and Tuas to breed 600,000 mice and rats annually and 200 micro- pigs for scientific research.
Animals are sentient beings and therefore capable of feeling pain. As much as it may be 'critical to have a consistent and reliant supply of animals in research', as stated by a researcher here recently, it is also critical to reduce the number of animals that endure endless pain and suffering daily in the name of science.
As Singapore expands its role in lab animal research, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) is concerned and interested to know the advances made or being made towards achieving the three principles, mentioned by the National Advisory Committee for Laboratory Animal Research (Naclar) chairman Bernard Tan, on which animal research rests.
The three principles are replacement (using alternative methods where possible); reduction (in numbers used); and refinement (limiting their suffering).
There has been no mention either as to whether the original Naclar-formulated guidelines of 2003 on humane treatment have been improved upon in terms of standards for the husbandry and care of laboratory animals. These were found by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to be inadequate.
The SPCA acknowledges that animal experimentation has helped improve or save human life, but not without immeasurable animal suffering. The industry should be mindful of this and strive to work towards excellence in seeking alternative research methods.
Deirdre Moss (Ms)
Executive Officer
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA)

<!-- story content : end -->

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People should stop eating chicken, fish, beef, lambs and babe!

And start a strictly vegan diet! I hope vege dun feel pain later scientist found out they do and I will begin to feel remorseful again!

dey, Would u like to lead the way? if yes, let me know, I will after chew.....

ccchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
All living things, whether animal or veggie, feel pain when they are injured or killed.

So does it mean that the "sensitive people" like Deirdre and the vegans have to switch to eating just fruits, nuts, eggs, milk and water?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Animals are sentient beings and therefore capable of feeling pain. ... it is also critical to reduce the number of animals that endure endless pain and suffering daily in the name of science. ...
ya man! ...

peasants are capable of feeling pain ... it is of utmost importance 2 reduce ze endless pain and daily suffering of peasants in the name of 'swiss std of living'', 'raise gst 2 help ze poor', 'living in a palace', '1st world living std', 'world crass gahmen' ... :mad:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People should stop eating chicken, fish, beef, lambs and babe!

And start a strictly vegan diet! I hope vege dun feel pain later scientist found out they do and I will begin to feel remorseful again!

u think vegetables have no feelings?:confused:
try touching the mimosa or go near the insect-eating plant?:biggrin:
watch out ur hair hor!