• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Angry Farmer Shows Why Fish Are Dying

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
AVA is only good in confiscating imports from people thru
Customs!!

About fisheries they are good for nothing!!

They are like Big Bully only knows how to tax people or confiscate!!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think the local universities produces enough graduates in these industries as agricultural businesses is not as profitable as banking/finance/tourism. There is also a certain level of risk for the newbies in this business due to some uncontrollable variables, eg. weather and diseases.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If not wrong it's Yck
Thanks, then he is not someone I might know. Yes there are a number of big farms at Seletar West. Met my primary school classmate there many years ago. He had sibce branched to construction of pond and other water related features and is doing very well but no more in fish farming.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good post.

AVA should continue to protect our food supply chain. The R&D for developing various aspects of our limited land for the AV industry should be led by another body. There is no focus.

Singapore used to be the centre for ornamental fish and orchid. Anyone who has real interest in this area knows that it's bs. Taiwanese fish farmer, with no formal education was carrying out genetic manipulation to produce new breeds of discus while local chaps were still using crossing breeding. A few years back, local fish farmers must buy sea bass fries from Thailand as they were unable to hatch the eggs. Ava came in to help and they finally succeeded. The problem is, why other less developed countries already knew how to do it so long ago but we only discovered the know how so much later? Taiwanese was the first to concoct food for abalone which enable them to be the pioneer in abalone farming. We have nothing new to claim be our own.

I think the greatest evil lies in the attitude of the people. It is interest and passion that drive fish farmers in other countries to break new barriers and succeed, not pure desire for more money. Local chaps are only interested in profit. So they try to copy. However, life stock is a subject that cannot be easily duplicated because of differing environmental conditions. What works in another country may not work here. Only with good grasps of the fundamentals can one develop a system that suits the local conditions. Unfortunately, going back to basics is not in our blood. Since young we were exposed to ways and means for quick fit, quick money... Nobody cares about fundamentals. QH farm is a good example. Instead of being experts in fish breeding, most only knows how to import and re-export. When they see others making big money breeding arowana, they joined in and suffered losses instead.

The problem with the experts in AVA is too much education and too little hands on, coupled with over confident, thinking that they know more than the farmers, just because they have higher educational qualifications. Until the attitude is changed where passion becomes the driving force and the mindset change to relook at fundamentals instead of jumping readily to textbook solution, we shall remain as a country with good infrastructure for others to set up factories here and F off when things turn back. In the end we will have nothing that we can be proud off to call our own.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Holy cow! You are right. Since its 2009 it is on downward trajectory except for slight relief in 2013. Just saw their annual report. They claimed that fish prices fell due to oversupply. I thought they were doing well.

Since QH is mentioned.....word has it they are in deep shit due to some bad investments.
Chief fish closet gay Kenny is going around borrowing money.
Do not buy their shares.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good post.

AVA should continue to protect our food supply chain. The R&D for developing various aspects of our limited land for the AV industry should be led by another body. There is no focus.

However, we must understand what is the real INTENTION of it all....:o

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
AVA, LTA all same shit. Profit driven organizations. Don't give a hoot who lives or who dies. They are going to hell. Every piece of MF of them.

Lizzert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, the older fish are dying from depression as they are unable to draw down on their Central Pensionfund for Fish upon reaching marketable age.
Younger fish are falling sick and dying because of overly expensive medical care and insufficient rehab and recovery pools

byyboo

The superficiality of how these Stat boards function or operate are breaking down as Singaporeans' thinking evolved.

aerobwala

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only solution is to dig up Causeway Link and let the sea water flows.

New mass fish death washes up thousands at Lim Chu Kang jetty

jdf07e.jpg

SINGAPORE - Thousands of fish were found washed up on shore at Lim Chu Kang jetty on Saturday in the latest in a series of mass deaths.

Breeds big and small, including catfish and mullets, were discovered on the beach near where several fish farms are situated in the Strait of Johor.

Both sea and farm fish were affected.

Farmer Ong Kim Pit, 65, told The Sunday Times that he first saw fish jumping out of the water on Friday night, adding that his baby mullets were worst hit.

"It happened within minutes," he said. "My fish were jumping and jumping in the water. I don't know why."

Cleaners were seen removing bags of dead fish on Saturday.

It is not yet known what caused the mass deaths, but they came a week after a deadly wave of plankton bloom wiped out almost all of some Changi farmers' stocks.

The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) said the bloom had killed an estimated 500 to 600 tonnes of fish as of last Wednesday, and affected 55 out of 63 farms in the East Johor Strait.

The AVA's preliminary findings showed elevated levels of Karlodinium veneficum in seawater samples, which has been associated with fish deaths worldwide.

Meanwhile, photos of dead fish at Kranji Reservoir Park and Sungeh Buloh Wetland Reserve also surfaced online on Saturday.

kcarolyn @sph.com.sg
PUBLISHED ON MAR 7, 2015 8:41 PM

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is karma in action for criticising about JB reclamation works and environment effect. AVA and Vivian sleeping on the job. no need high tech experiments to find the cause. common sense would tell you that after massive reclamation works on ubin and tekong and eastern part of changi, the water turned brackosh and greenish due to algae overgrowth. fish dies in the millions. those who fish there or canoe there for past 10 years know what i am talking about. now cow beh cow bu about JB reclamation on westren side when it is their own land for what???
lucky for me I did not invest in kelongs as some of these screw uped kelong owners knew about the polluted waters years ago and tried to sell off their kelongs for a few hundred tousands under guise of early retirement. ALL bullsh!tters. never trust these guys. anyway kelongs in Kukup are selling for only a few thoudands and water there mcuh better.

How prescient I am. 9 months ago I already said AVA and that vivian is sleeping on the job. No need useless highly paid people to tell you crap. I already knew the eastern part of singapore is polluted and all the fish would die sooner or later. Today I almost fell off my chair LMFAO as you know that ministart said the fish dying would occur again!!! NOw he only know??? I knew this almost 2 years ago when someone tried to sell me his useless kelong and I post here my findings for record 9 mionths ago. WTF these idiots are talking. I am not even a fisherman nor biologist but used my common sense can tell you taht fish farms there are a goner. guess the fish farmers are used ot listening to all the "good news" from the mini stars all the time . thats why I never trust alot of locals. crooks if you ask me.