• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ang Moh Phen Kueh(Apple). Last time saw one 45 yrs ago.....

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any old timers know anything about this fruit? There was this tall tree standing between Lor 29 and 31 Geylang. We kids love to eat the fruits that dropped by the action of bats just like mangoes now. It was soft, mushy and pungent with a thin skin. Can only recalled it being named ang moh pheng kueh. Anybody can enlighten me? It's not custard apple by the way.

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Any old timers know anything about this fruit? There was this tall tree standing between or 29 and 31. We kids love to eat the fruits that dropped by the action of bats just like mangoes now. It was soft, mushy and pungent with a thin skin. Can only recalled it being named ang moh pheng kueh. Anybody can enlighten me? It's not custard apple by the way.

Could it be bat guano? :eek::confused: No seriously, think about it, you'd never know what kids back then could eat when hungry:(:cool:.

:smile::(:confused::mad::p:wink::o:biggrin::cool::eek::oIo:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We have something strangely similar to the description here in Oz.

220px-Feijoa_cut.jpg

Steve111

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any old timers know anything about this fruit? There was this tall tree standing between Lor 29 and 31 Geylang. We kids love to eat the fruits that dropped by the action of bats just like mangoes now. It was soft, mushy and pungent with a thin skin. Can only recalled it being named ang moh pheng kueh. Anybody can enlighten me? It's not custard apple by the way.

You mean jambu?--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygium_samarangense

gostep

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think I know what you mean as I used to stay there. If I am not wrong, the fruit itself is furry, and you had to use a coconut husk or brush to clear away the fur, which was very itchy. The skin was red, and the flesh inside was creamy like butter. We used to call this butterfruit, though avocado is also called the same. You can find a couple of these trees planted near the PIE/Clementi Ave 6 intersection.
Hope this helps

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think I know what you mean as I used to stay there. If I am not wrong, the fruit itself is furry, and you had to use a coconut husk or brush to clear away the fur, which was very itchy. The skin was red, and the flesh inside was creamy like butter. We used to call this butterfruit, though avocado is also called the same. You can find a couple of these trees planted near the PIE/Clementi Ave 6 intersection.
Hope this helps

The buttery texture of the flesh is as close to the mark as can be. Will try to check out the location given. But I tell you this. The aroma of the fruit is distinctive. Blindfolded, I will still be able to tell with 100% certainty if the fruit is in front of me.Thanks for the help.:smile:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talked to a 55 years old fruit seller who had in the fruit industry for the past 40 years. Remembers the local name and had seen the import of the fruit only once in his twenties. Will share when I tracked the fruit down positively.