• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aneh suggest recruiting MIB fm Nepal

xdecepticon

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was obvious that the jam on both sides of the Singapore-Malaysia crossings at Woodlands and Tuas was excruciating on Hari Raya Wednesday -and it need not have been so if manpower was not sorely lacking.

At the Causeway checkpoint, the officer checking the boot of my car was so tired, he could hardly keep his eyes open, let alone whip up the energy to check my bags. when I pointed out that he had written down the wrong number of people in my car, he apologised and said he was tired and had been on his feet too long. This happens not only at such land checkpoints but at other international exit points as well.

On returning via the Tuas checkpoint, it took an hour and 25 minutes for me to reach the immigration booth from a distance of only 500m. Because no officers were tasked to check queue jumpers, the latter had a field day endangering law-abiding drivers by butting into their lanes and slowing taffic to a standstill for long periods. My sympathies are with the tired officers who must work extended hours, and my conern is about our obviously strapped policing-related personnel.

I am also reminded about the recent flurry of forum letters discussing the difficulty in recruiting and keeping officers in the police force, as well as its auxiliary arms, Certis Cisco and Aetos.

Two consequences come to mind.

First, the Singapore-Malaysia land checkpoints are unnecessarily jammed, like on Hari Raya Wednesday, because policing resosurces are stretched in the current security climate. As figures from the authorities themselves suggest, the amount of overtime clocked is staggering because of the manpower crunch.

Second, tackling soft crime, ranging from anti-social acts to rowdy foreign workers, is forced to take a back seat, as the police suggested in a reply when they said that tackling serious crime and terrorist activity must take precedence in allocation of resources.

A solution to those problems is to look for dependable, non-traditional sources of manpower. Rather than rely only on Malaysia, we should consider training and recruiting policemen from Nepal.

Why Nepal? The first obvious reason is that the Gurkhas, who are from that country, are a tried, reassuring and dependable blanket of security.

The second is that, because the Nepalese are not involved in regional politics, they are likely to be more objective in carrying out their work.

The police, Certis Cisco and Aetos could perhaps start with a pilot project by contracting 1000 Nepalese recruits.

Ravi Govindan

We have petrol kiosk man by "FTs". Now MIA too? :rolleyes: