• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Analysts : SMRT must learn from other operators

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MRT breakdown: Learn from other operators, say analysts

Parts of the casing for the third rail as well as the rail itself were damaged between City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut stations on Thursday night. The MRT system has a third rail which is fixed alongside the train track and supplies electricity to passing trains. -- PHOTOS: LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY

By Feng Zengkun
Train operator SMRT's procedures for dealing with service breakdowns need an overhaul, said transport analysts in the wake of Saturday's disruption, the third in the past week.
They added that it has much to learn from operators in other cities with extensive train networks, such as Hong Kong, New York and Taipei.
Scenes of chaos and confusion played out during the five-hour shutdown at 11 stations on the North-South line on Thursday, and while Saturday's breakdown seemed to have been better managed, commuters were still left feeling upset. Many wished they knew what to do in such situations.

HOW OTHER CITIES PREPARE FOR EMERGENCIES
New York
  • Decals in every train carriage to advise passengers on fire, medical and train-fault evacuation protocols
  • Detailed guides and graphics on operator's website on evacuation procedures, such as train-to-train or tunnel evacuations
  • YouTube video of live demonstration of evacuation
London
  • Emergency Response Unit stationed across four train depots to fix track problems
  • All station staff have to be familiar with evacuation plans, sign a checklist every six months and take part in a mock evacuation at least annually
Hong Kong
  • Ventilation panels in every window in case trains are stuck in tunnels
  • Exit signs point to emergency doors that can be opened by passengers
  • One train officer per carriage door at train stations during peak hours
Taipei
  • Emergency exit doors with clear instructions on how to open them
  • A centre with a mock train where officers are taught evacuation procedures and which the public can use to simulate emergency exits
Tokyo
  • All train employees have to attend an annual evacuation training
  • This includes table-top and field drills, and debriefs
  • All employees issued with a pocket-size manual for emergency management

Dr Park Byung Joon, programme head of the Master of Science in Urban Transport Management at SIM University, noted that in Seoul for example, the operator's website has very detailed guides on what commuters can do during service disruptions.
In London, all train station staff have to be familiar with evacuation plans, sign a checklist every six months and take part in a mock evacuation at least annually.
Dr Park said such protocols would do much to avert the confusion that followed Thursday evening's disruption.
'I'm not sure if SMRT has a manual or not, but obviously it didn't work,' he said.
Transport analyst Tham Chen Munn added that openly conducted drills would help to restore confidence in the operator.
'These electrical faults are bound to happen. What we need are empowered staff who can handle such situations with ease, and not the frustrating and chaotic 'waiting for further instruction' approach that happened on Thursday evening,' he said.
Others said that more could be done to adapt the trains for such incidents.
In Hong Kong, train carriages have ventilation windows that can be opened by passengers if they are stuck in a tunnel.
During Thursday's breakdown, commuters trapped in the stalled trains complained of feeling suffocated because of poor ventilation.
Mr Lau Kaiming, 27, an industrial engineer who has lived in Singapore and Hong Kong, said emergency doors and clear exit signs in the Hong Kong trains also help to reassure passengers and instil confidence.
Ms Chye Shu Wen, 21, who is studying in London, said staff in the city remind passengers frequently of evacuation procedures.
'Keep calm and carry on, and move out of the tunnel by keeping close to the tunnel walls,' she said of the drill.
She noted that SMRT may be less prepared because of Singapore's relatively untroubled history with trains.
In Singapore, the most common security announcements remind commuters to report suspicious packages.
'But trains in London were actually bombed in 2005, which caused the evacuation reminders to increase by a lot,' Ms Chye said.
Mr Daniel Tinker, 32, a teacher who moved from New York to Singapore three months ago, said trains' power back-up systems are maintained regularly in the Big Apple. During Thursday's breakdown, commuters complained about power supply being completely cut off, leaving some carriages unlit.
Mr Tinker was affected by both breakdowns on Thursday and Saturday. 'I'm quite surprised that this happened again... In New York, I don't think I've ever experienced a breakdown as bad as this one,' he said.
He noted that the problem may be worse in Singapore because of the lack of multiple train lines plying the same routes.
'And if that's the case, then the system has to be even more reliable if people are to take mass transport,' he

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Tinker was affected by both breakdowns on Thursday and Saturday. 'I'm quite surprised that this happened again... In New York, I don't think I've ever experienced a breakdown as bad as this one,' he said.
He noted that the problem may be worse in Singapore because of the lack of multiple train lines plying the same routes.
'And if that's the case, then the system has to be even more reliable if people are to take mass transport,' he
[/COLOR]

Our network in less complex and relatively new compared to what other cities have, and yet we fail to put in place the correct fundamentals. This is not the first time we see embarrassing things like this happening, and the authorities are always ready to placate the public with re-assuring statements to show that they are always on top of things one incident after another. I remember how many reviews were carried out on CCK LRT, which was plagued by tons of problems until lost count and I just gave up. :(

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
I'm sure they have and will continue to learn from other operators.
The real issue is that the ceo of any company sets the tone and his/her focus, strategy, direction and priorities determine which way the company goes.

If the ceo tells everyone that operational efficiency and safety are of utmost importance, that's what they will focus on.
If the ceo tells everyone that 100% rental occupancy is the goal, that's what they will work towards too.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
How can we learn from the others? I mean our MRT CEO and Transport Minister and others are the highest paid people how can we be expected to talk to those counterparts not on the same pay scale? It will be impolite to ask our heavenly servants to stoop down to talk to these lowly paid people. Common its just not fair and not on par. They should be the ones to learn from us.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
joetys said:
How can we learn from the others? I mean our MRT CEO and Transport Minister and others are the highest paid people how can we be expected to talk to those counterparts not on the same pay scale? It will be impolite to ask our heavenly servants to stoop down to talk to these lowly paid people. Common its just not fair and not on par. They should be the ones to learn from us.

Better, why not get a secondment from these counterparts and give our officials a well deserved sabbatical leave?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The article discuses what to do after a problem has occured.

Isn't it better to "prevent" problems e.g. more rigorous maintenance, more experienced service personnel, better training, getting rid of the useless cronies:smile:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Learn from other operators? That Merchant Saw was so arrogant that she had to criticize and despise ComforDelgro when the latter first took over the NE Line with its initial frequent breakdowns. Now she's taking her own medicine and facing retribution.

Last edited: