• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

An open letter to MM Lee: Stop talking about track records, please.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>IDKWTS <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>7:08 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>50917.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD id=msgtxt_1 class=msgtxt>[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]An open letter to MM Lee: Stop talking about track records, please.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Posted on [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]April 30, 2011[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif] by visa [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]MM: Aljunied GRC residents will regret choosing the WP[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]VOTERS in Aljunied GRC who choose the Workers¡¯ Party (WP) team will regret it, said Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew on Friday night.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]¡®If they choose (the opposition), then I say, good luck to them. They have five years to ruminate and to regret what they did. And I have no doubts they will regret it,¡¯ he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]The People¡¯s Action Party (PAP) team there comprises Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo, Minister in the Prime Minister¡¯s Office Lim Hwee Hua, Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Zainul Abidin Rasheed ¨C who has been identified as a potential Speaker of Parliament ¨C Madam Cynthia Phua and new face Ong Ye Kung, an assistant secretary-general of NTUC who is touted as a potential office holder.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]They are facing a challenge by a high-profile team from the WP comprising former Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang, former NCMP Sylvia Lim, the party¡¯s ¡®star catch¡¯ Chen Show Mao, a corporate lawyer with top academic qualifications; as well as family counsellor Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap and post-graduate law student Pritam Singh.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Speaking to reporters during a visit to Tampines, Mr Lee said the contest in Aljunied GRC could be boiled down to this issue: Do you want a capable team that can look after your interests, or do you want a team with little track record?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]¡®At the end of the day, if you are in Aljunied, ask yourself: Do you want one MP, one Non-Constituency MP, one celebrity who has been away 30 years, and two unknowns to look after you?¡¯[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Or, he continued, did voters prefer two ministers, one potential Parliament Secretary, one potential Speaker of Parliament, and one grassroots MP?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]¡®Just ask yourself that,¡¯ he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]First of all, I¡¯m disappointed with you, Harry Lee Kuan Yew. I¡¯m disappointed because I always looked up to you as an astute politician- but it appears to me that you are quickly losing your game. It smells a lot like fear, or perhaps it is conceit, perhaps it is ignorance- all of which have no place in the heart of a firebrand politician such as yourself. I wish that you had quit while you were ahead.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]By singling out the Worker¡¯s Party team that is contesting Aljunied GRC, you unwittingly acknowledge them as a credible threat. Why aren¡¯t you talking about the SPP instead, or the SDA? Why not talk about Nicole Seah or Chiam See Tong? Because those challenges don¡¯t worry you as much- simple as that. You would not feel a need to speak about something that is not a threat.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]The way I see it, there are two possible scenarios that could have led you down this path.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Hypothetical Scenario 1: You¡¯re an ignorant, incompetent politician who doesn¡¯t realise that talking about your fears and worries is the quickest way to draw public attention to them. I personally really, really hope this isn¡¯t the case- you are far too intelligent, and has been through far too much to make such juvenile errors. But I cannot rule it out altogether.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Hypothetical Scenario 2: You¡¯re arrogant, conceited and full of yourself, convinced by past history that Singaporeans are an electorate who will gladly swallow your load without complaint or scrutiny. This, I believe, is the likelier scenario. I dare say it might be possible that you are the only man in Singapore who can comfortably say absolutely anything you like, perhaps confident that your ¡°track record¡± renders you invincible. I¡¯m pretty certain that if anybody else- opposition party members, especially- had made the same comments that you made about our Malay community, they would have been arrested for sedition, for undermining racial harmony, and been detained without trial by the ISA. Am I wrong? I mean, looking at your track record, it seems pretty likely.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Conceit has dethroned kings and empires since the beginning of recorded history. Seriously, Kuan Yew- we love you for all that you have accomplished for us, and we will remember you fondly long after you¡¯re gone. No sarcasm there. We owe you a debt that we could never possibly repay. But lose the arrogance and the conceit. It looks bad on you. Really.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Track records mean very little. Specifically, they mean very little in any dynamic situation where there is change- change in your party, change in the opposition, change in the electorate, change in the world. The only thing your track records tell us is that you and your party (or at least, your party during its golden era) are capable of achieving a very specific set of goals in a very specific context. Even the British had a pretty good record until the war! An analogy- you have gold medals in the 100 metre sprints, and they are really bloody commendable- but we¡¯re running a different race now. Your track record is no good when we¡¯re looking at a future that is completely different from the past. How do you think Michael Jordan did at baseball, and how¡¯s Michael Schumacher doing on the racing bikes? Times have changed, the rules of the game have changed, and you and your party are obsolete and had better bloody well adapt or perish.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]I would expect you to be fully aware of this, so why are you preaching what history, political theory and common sense have proven to be untrue? Stock markets are always doing great until right before they collapse. People will treat you with utmost kindness before they betray you and stab you in the back. A turkey will adore its farmer for feeding it- until Thanksgiving. If we¡¯re talking about track records- Liverpool has the best track record in the English Premier League- and it has counted for absolutely nothing the past 20 years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]You¡¯ve mentioned before that evidence trumps theory any day. Observe as your track record as an unparalleled visionary and statesman fail to protect you when you make insensitive remarks and throw your weight around. Observe as the predictable, fickle-minded and PAP-fearing electorate morphs before your very eyes into a force that you never anticipated. After all, Singaporeans have a track record of being docile and compliant, right?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]And one more thing- you say that Zainul Abidin Rasheed is a potential Speaker of Parliament, and Ong Ye Kng is a potential office holder- but who measures this potential? You? The PAP? The state-controlled media? I find it odd that you seem to expect Singaporeans to accept someone else¡¯s potentially biased assessment of their caliber. It is up for Singaporeans to decide. After all, Chen Show Mao and Sylvia Lim could very well be potential President and Prime Minister! How would you describe them if they were PAP candidates rather than Worker¡¯s Party candidates? Very differently, I imagine. I¡¯m insulted Kuan Yew, by what I perceive to be intellectual fraud on your part. I wish you didn¡¯t have to resort to this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]I expected better from you. I never wanted to see you, a Singaporean hero of mythical proportions, morph into a common, fear-mongering heckler. You¡¯re better than this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Vote for the Worker¡¯s Party, constituents of Aljunied GRC. MM Lee has unwittingly given them his seal of approval.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Yours truly,
Visakan Veerasamy
[/FONT]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Either the father is hopeless in mentoring the son or the son is simply hopeless and cannot be mentored.
To lose a GRC with father and son in the cabinet is a big disgrace; and they are now celebrating whatever glory they have - GIC 30 years anniversary and NTUC.

seiyup warrior

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keep on harping the past.

You have lavishly rewarded yourself and shut up.People of Singapore have yet to decide whether this enrichment is due or undu