• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

An Attempt to Understand Why So Many People Dislike Minister Chan Chun Sing

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
LC5ToEa.png

When Heng Swee Keat was ‘confirmed’ as the PM-in-waiting last month, many Singaporeans breathed a sigh of relief.

Some were glad to see an experienced Finance Minister at the helm, whilst others were disappointed that it wasn't Tharman. Most citizens, however, simply closed their eyes and said a silent prayer of gratitude: “Thank god it’s not Chan Chun Sing.”

kTp3YPP.png

d56GsUR.png

Okay, I lied. The prayers were loud and gleeful. Many were overjoyed to learn that Chan Chun Sing, long considered the frontrunner, would not be our next King. They were so ecstatic that the usual ‘return my CPF’ complaints were temporarily suspended, replaced by expressions of Schadenfreude at Keechiu’s ‘downfall’.

Personally, I don’t like CCS, but I’m also disturbed by the amount of hate that he has received over the past year. To me, he is just another 4G Minister like his peers OYK and TCJ, neither exceptional in his achievements nor particularly damning in his faults.

So what gives? Why do so many people have such a deep-seated dislike of Keechiu?

The Boy Who Lived

The most obvious answer: people don’t like his face.

ZTLcfgr.png

Don’t roll your eyes, because you know it’s true. Some politicians are blessed with an authoritative jawline (Macron). Others, with a kindly disposition that reminds you of a well-loved uncle (Tharman).

CCS, however, looks like a boy. Specifically, the boy from the cover of MAD magazine. The large ears, buck teeth, and moon face make him look like a venture scout cosplaying as a Minister, and prevents him from projecting the gravitas that voters expect.

And it gets worse when he’s not smiling for the camera. At rest, his mouth curls naturally into a smirk, twisting his boyish features into a picture of smugness.

u14a7FB.png

The unfortunate geometry of his head is not helped by his manner of speaking, which is neither heartland nor RI.

A Singaporean politician has 2 choices when making a speech: either speak like Low Thia Khiang and sound like a man-of-the-people, or speak like Tan Chuan-Jin and sound like a proper Oxbridge-educated elite.

There are pros and cons to both, but CCS seems incapable of either. If you watch his public speeches closely, there is an odd note of inauthenticity when he speaks. When he’s talking to ‘the people‘, the Singlish accent seems exaggerated, and you get the feeling that he’s pandering or being condescending. When he’s speaking to his peers at a conference or in parliament, the intonation is a little weird, and he sounds like a man struggling to keep the Singlish from creeping into his Queen’s English.

The result is a neither-here-nor-there accent that confuses everyone. He doesn’t sound like one of us, or one of them. He sounds like … a person trying to sound like someone else. Not a good look for politics, where sincerity is a valuable currency.

More at https://tinyurI.com/ya5x6f2r

Last edited:

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
LC5ToEa.png

When Heng Swee Keat was ‘confirmed’ as the PM-in-waiting last month, many Singaporeans breathed a sigh of relief.

Some were glad to see an experienced Finance Minister at the helm, whilst others were disappointed that it wasn't Tharman. Most citizens, however, simply closed their eyes and said a silent prayer of gratitude: “Thank god it’s not Chan Chun Sing.”

kTp3YPP.png

d56GsUR.png

Okay, I lied. The prayers were loud and gleeful. Many were overjoyed to learn that Chan Chun Sing, long considered the frontrunner, would not be our next King. They were so ecstatic that the usual ‘return my CPF’ complaints were temporarily suspended, replaced by expressions of Schadenfreude at Keechiu’s ‘downfall’.

Personally, I don’t like CCS, but I’m also disturbed by the amount of hate that he has received over the past year. To me, he is just another 4G Minister like his peers OYK and TCJ, neither exceptional in his achievements nor particularly damning in his faults.

So what gives? Why do so many people have such a deep-seated dislike of Keechiu?

The Boy Who Lived

ZTLcfgr.png

Don’t roll your eyes, because you know it’s true. Some politicians are blessed with an authoritative jawline (Macron). Others, with a kindly disposition that reminds you of a well-loved uncle (Tharman).

CCS, however, looks like a boy. Specifically, the boy from the cover of MAD magazine. The large ears, buck teeth, and moon face make him look like a venture scout cosplaying as a Minister, and prevents him from projecting the gravitas that voters expect.

And it gets worse when he’s not smiling for the camera. At rest, his mouth curls naturally into a smirk, twisting his boyish features into a picture of smugness.

u14a7FB.png

The unfortunate geometry of his head is not helped by his manner of speaking, which is neither heartland nor RI.

A Singaporean politician has 2 choices when making a speech: either speak like Low Thia Khiang and sound like a man-of-the-people, or speak like Tan Chuan-Jin and sound like a proper Oxbridge-educated elite.

There are pros and cons to both, but CCS seems incapable of either. If you watch his public speeches closely, there is an odd note of inauthenticity when he speaks. When he’s talking to ‘the people‘, the Singlish accent seems exaggerated, and you get the feeling that he’s pandering or being condescending. When he’s speaking to his peers at a conference or in parliament, the intonation is a little weird, and he sounds like a man struggling to keep the Singlish from creeping into his Queen’s English.

The result is a neither-here-nor-there accent that confuses everyone. He doesn’t sound like one of us, or one of them. He sounds like … a person trying to sound like someone else. Not a good look for politics, where sincerity is a valuable currency.

More at An Attempt to Understand Why So Many People Dislike Minister Chan Chun Sing

What CCS lacks is the AURA of a Leader.

TCJ is actually a very good man. Too bad he is too religious and sidelined.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like your analysis and comments.
He does not have that appeal.
Although Ong does not speak like Chan, Ong's facial features are also not appealing.
Tharman and Heng have more appealing face and speak well.

LC5ToEa.png

kTp3YPP.png

d56GsUR.png

The Boy Who Lived

ZTLcfgr.png

u14a7FB.png

More at An Attempt to Understand Why So Many People Dislike Minister Chan Chun Sing

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What CCS lacks is the AURA of a Leader.

TCJ is actually a very good man. Too bad he is too religious and sidelined.

Is TCJ considered too religious?
What religion?

TCJ speaks with a more neutral accent.
Much better than Chan.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kee Chiu has a psychological problem (his childhood scar of not having a father continues to haunt him) and thus susceptible to manipulation.

The Lee family successful got him; Lee CON You became his surrogate father and Kee Chiu would do anything for the Lees. That's why Pinky wants Kee Chiu to be the next PM and then he would yield it to Pinky's son. That way, the Lee dynasty continues.

If you want to end the Lee dynasty, Kee Chiu must never occupy the PM post. Look out for more infightings in the PAP as Kee Chiu tries to seize the PM post from Heng.

Insider Player

Alfrescian
Loyal
In politics you need charisma.
This Boy Scout ain’t got none of it.
On paper his credentials are actually quite good what with his single mom and poor boy study hard background..... but in person his face and mannerisms turns people off

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singaporeans dislike him for his hubris. Humility stems not from wearing a cheap Casio watch or talking about your "humble" childhood. It stems from putting aside your past accomplishments and acknowledging your weaknesses and short comings.

CCS has no weaknesses or shortcomings so he has nothing to acknowledge.