• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious AMKTC Former GM Charged For Bribery Finally! Unlike Oppies, PM Lee Will Not Spare His Own TC People If They Were Corrupt!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
39ff1aefb6be01a5d3cf8a8f79c32b64

For nearly two years, Victor Wong Chee Meng, the former general manager and secretary of Ang Mo Kio Town Council (AMKTC), allegedly received a steady stream of bribes totalling $107,336.50.

The 58-year-old purportedly took the kickbacks from Omar Chia Sin Lan, 62, the director and major shareholder of two firms, whose core business is the carrying out of works for town councils. Wong currently faces 55 charges of corruption for offences committed between December 2014 and September 2016.

Chia’s two companies, 19-ANC Enterprise and 19-NS2 Enterprise, were also awarded tenders and contracts by AMKTC worth millions of dollars during the time that Wong accepted the bribes. Chia also faces 55 counts of graft.

“The lion’s share of the gratification, some $52,893.07, was in the form of entertainment expenses incurred by Victor Wong and Omar Chia at various KTV lounges and massage parlours, which the two frequented regularly at night,” said Deputy Public Prosecutor Alan Loh while laying out the prosecution’s case at the start of the duo’s trial on Tuesday (25 September) morning.

Abuse of power
Wong allegedly received a discount of about $13,500 on his purchase of a Toyota Altis owned by Chia’s two companies. Chia also purportedly paid for about $30,000 in remittances to Wong’s mistress in China.

He also allegedly paid for a mobile phone line that allowed Wong and his mistress to make free calls to China, and employed Wong’s daughter-in-law at a subcontractor of Chia’s companies.

“As the general manager of AMKTC, Victor Wong had the power and ability to influence the award of AMKTC projects. Victor Wong was expected to act with absolute probity, particularly because his job involved the administration of public funds,” said DPP Loh in the prosecution’s opening statement.

“Instead of exercising his role impartially without favour, Victor Wong fell far short of the high standards of integrity demanded of his office and allowed himself to be cultivated by Omar Chia and had become beholden to him,” DPP Loh added.

Both accused out on bail
The trial is scheduled to be heard till November before District Judge John Ng. Wong is represented by lawyer Melanie Ho while Chia is defended by Michael Loh. Both men are currently out on bail of $100,00 each.

If found guilty of corruption involving a public body, both men face a fine of up to $100,000 and/or a jail term of up to seven years each per charge.

In December 2016, it was reported that Wong was being investigated by anti-graft investigators. Wong, who worked for CPG Facilities Management – AMKTC’s managing agent – was asked to go on leave following a complaint filed against him in September 2016. He was removed from his positions at the town council in November that year.

AMKTC oversees the housing estates in Ang Mo Kio GRC. The town council’s chairman is Ang Hin Kee and the other six members are Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Gan Thiam Poh, Intan Azura Mokhtar, Koh Poh Koon, Lam Pin Min and Darryl David.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/former-an...d-ktv-lounges-massage-parlours-052026949.html

Kopi0Kosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
WHOLE FUCKING PAP from LKY Ghost are systematically corrupt. Wayang also no use. Whole world knows PAP is a CORRUPTION HUB.

CPG was PWD.
I like the description 'SYSTEMATICALLY CORRUPT'.

Boy2 LEEder: Can make money, don't waste. Don't share with the citizens. Just with a few LEElated directors to LEErect and direct.
PAPa LEEder: You must create a system to siphon out. Must make sure the people will not know.
Boy2 LEEder: Don't worry. We don't disclose and tell them cannot disclose, National Security.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
A spa treatment in Geylang that cost around $1,070,

single session ? one dragon service ? looks like he is not at John Tan's sycophany level, else be swept under carpet.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wong-chee-meng-amktc.jpg

SINGAPORE: Although he initially denied giving any cash to former Ang Mo Kio Town Council (AMKTC) general manager Victor Wong Chee Meng, company director Omar Chia Sin Lan had "a serious thought" about it and admitted in another statement to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) that he gave S$20,000 to Wong.

This was revealed on the second day of a 39-day trial into the corruption case involving Wong, 58, and Chia, 63. Wong is accused of receiving "a steady stream of gratification" of at least S$107,000 over almost two years from Chia, who was the director and major shareholder of 19-ANC Enterprise and 19-NS2 Enterprise.

The two companies were awarded tenders and contracts by AMKTC amounting to millions of dollars, while Wong is accused of taking bribes from Chia between December 2014 and September 2016.

As the general manager of AMKTC, Wong had "the power and ability to influence the award of AMKTC projects", the prosecution previously said. He was expected "to act with absolute probity, particularly because his job involved the administration of public funds".

On Wednesday (Sep 26), two CPIB officers took the stand. One of them, Principal Special Investigator Keith Peh Wan Hao, told the court that he took four statements from Chia.

According to him, Chia said that he set up 19-ANC in 1994 with his younger brother, and got the name from a nightclub that was on the 19th storey.

19-ANC was used to tender for projects, while the jobs were sub-contracted to 19-NS2, which was set up for the ease of getting bigger jobs, with greater scope.

The court heard that Chia earned a monthly salary of about S$10,000 with 19-ANC, about S$5,000 with 19-NS2, and no salary from a third company he was a director of.

The main customers of 19-ANC and 19-NS2 were town councils including those of Ang Mo Kio, Tampines, Yuhua and Bedok, and the two companies carried out repair works.

The annual turnover for both companies was about S$10 million to S$13 million each. They tendered for jobs advertised in the newspapers, and would on occasion receive invitations to submit quotations.

Asked about his relationship with Wong, Chia said: "We are just friends. I knew him since 2005 to 2007 when he was working at Marine Parade Town Council."

Wong became AMKTC's general manager in 2013 and earned S$10,550 a month.

READ: Corruption trial of former Ang Mo Kio Town Council GM: Marriage troubles led him to accept drinks sessions
Chia said in his statement to CPIB that he went to China with Wong twice. On both occasions, they visited his incense burner supplier in China.

The court was told about two tax invoices, one of which detailed 1,500 incense burners sold to Tampines Town Council over two years, at S$259 per burner.

This was awarded through a tender process where Chia's company gave the lowest quote, he said.

Another invoice was for the supply of 270 incense burners provided to AMKTC at S$180 each, a job awarded via an Invitation To Quote (ITQ).

In his initial statement to CPIB, Chia said he and Wong paid for their own air tickets and accommodation for the China trips. They took turns to pay for food and drinks, he said.

He also frequently went to karaoke lounges and nightclubs with Wong. For this, they took turns to pay for the drinks and paid for their own tips, he said in his initial statement.

The expenses for these visits ranged from a few hundred dollars to more than S$2,000, and Chia said he did not take any other town council general manager out for entertainment.

When asked why, Chia said: "I knew Victor for a long time. I don't know the rest of the town council general managers."

He answered "no" when asked if he gave any form of benefits or cash to Wong, or paid for nightclub outings, in return for any favour.

He also said he was not aware that a Toyota Altis car was sold to Wong at a discounted price. Wong was allegedly sold the car at a discount of S$13,500 by Alisa Yip Fong Yin, who was a project director at 19-ANC and a director and shareholder of 19-NS2.

A day after giving his statement to CPIB, Chia requested to make amendments to his statement.

CHIA ADMITS GIVING MONEY, HELPING WONG IN NEW STATEMENT

According to CPIB investigator Keith Peh, Chia said: "After some serious thoughts about my family since last night, I wish to inform the recording officer that I have not been truthful in my previous statement."

He then rectified what he said earlier about him and Wong taking turns to make payment for meals in China.

"This is inaccurate. The (payment for the) meals, entertainment ... were made by me," he admitted. "I stated that I did not give Victor's girlfriend any cash. I wish to state that this is inaccurate. Sometime in 2015, I gave a sum of S$20,000 to Victor for him to do some renovation work for his girlfriend in China."

He further admitted that he was the one who helped Wong get a job for his daughter-in-law. Although she was employed by another person, he paid her a monthly salary of S$1,600 along with 19-NS2 shareholder Tay Eng Chuan.

He also added that he used a credit card belonging to Tay to make payment when he took Wong out "for entertainment".

In his new statement, Chia said: "I wish to state that I had a serious thought last night. I felt very sorry and remorseful. I wish to take responsibility for my actions. I hope that the authorities will treat me leniently. I should have cooperated with CPIB, and I thought I would get into trouble with authorities if I told them I had given S$20,000 to Victor's girlfriend."

He also revealed that he frequently went to karaoke lounges with Wong to "hang flower", a translated term from Chinese that refers to the act of adorning hostesses with garlands at flower joints.

This was to "show appreciation to hostesses who were performing", CPIB's Mr Peh said. They would buy the flowers and hang them around the hostesses' necks.

Chia and Wong would go to joints in Balestier, Jalan Sultan and Newton Circle, and Wong would "hang" flowers which cost S$100, S$200 or S$500 each.

Wong did not pay for the entertainment, Chia said.

The trial continues on Thursday.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...l-gm-company-director-admitted-bribe-10759604

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason he is thrown to the wolves is because he is not part of the Familee. If he is Familee n loyal this matter wouldn't even be news. If he is Familee and disloyal he would have to run to HK or the USA

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Larry Diamond on the Lessons of Democracy

[YouTube]VBEvccQ9SUI?t=3m[/YouTube]
https://youtu(dot)be/VBEvccQ9SUI?t=3m

Stanford CDDRL
Published on Jun 16, 2015
For more on FSI's governance impact, see here: http://fsi.stanford.edu/impact_govern...

--------

Larry Diamond is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, where he directs the Center on Democracy, Development, and the Rule of Law. Diamond also serves as the Peter E. Haas Faculty Co-Director of the Haas Center for Public Service at Stanford. He is the founding co-editor of the Journal of Democracy and also serves as Senior Consultant (and previously was co-director) at the International Forum for Democratic Studies of the National Endowment for Democracy.

During 2002-3, he served as a consultant to the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and was a contributing author of its report Foreign Aid in the National Interest. He has also advised and lectured to the World Bank, the United Nations, the State Department, and other governmental and nongovernmental agencies dealing with governance and development. His latest book, The Spirit of Democracy: The Struggle to Build Free Societies Throughout the World (Times Books, 2008), explores the sources of global democratic progress and stress and the prospects for future democratic expansion.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pretty sure contractors currying up to PAP town council management is common practice. Just unlucky he is caught.
He is caught by PUBLIC whistle blower, not by PAP. PAP wouldn't even bother with what the AGO has found, if they knew there are plenty of such corruption case within. Know the difference.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yq-wongcheemeng-250918.jpg

SINGAPORE - A company director on trial for allegedly giving bribes totalling more than $107,000 to a former town council general manager wanted to change his tune the day after giving his statement to an anti-graft investigator.

Chia Sin Lan, 63, told a Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) officer on Oct 5, 2016, that he had thought about his family and decided to "tell the truth", the Court heard on Wednesday (Sept 26).

But the previous day (Oct 4), he had denied giving bribes to the former general manager of Ang Mo Kio Town Council, Wong Chee Meng.

Chia told CPIB principal special investigator Keith Peh that he had actually given $20,000 to the mistress of Wong, 58.

Both Chia and Wong are on trial for corruption.

Chia, who is accused of 54 counts of bribing Wong to advance the interests of his companies, also said he had paid for all the entertainment expenses incurred when he went on two trips to China with Wong in 2016.

In his initial statement, he said they took turns to foot the bill.

These and other details emerged when Mr Peh took the stand, on the second day of trial into a stream of gratification which Chia had allegedly given to Wong for almost two years, up to 2016.

Wong faces 55 charges for receiving the bribes, with the "lion's share" of the gratification - or close to $53,000 - going to entertainment expenses incurred by the two accused at various KTV lounges and massage parlours, the prosecution said.

During the period when Wong received the gratifications, Chia's companies - 19-ANC Enterprise and 19-NS2 Enterprise - were given tenders and contracts worth millions of dollars by Ang Mo Kio town council, the prosecution added.

These were for projects such as repairs and re-decoration of blocks of Housing Board flats and the building of community gardens.

The Court heard that Chia had set up 19-NS2 to take on sub-contracted jobs from 19-ANC, thus allowing him to bid for projects of a bigger scale.

Wong Chee Meng, 58, stands accused of taking bribes from two company directors in exchange for advancing the business interests of their companies with the Ang Mo Kio Town Council.

He was paid a monthly salary of about $10,000 by 19-ANC and $5,000 by 19-NS2.

Chia said in his statement to the CPIB in Oct 2016 that he got the name 19-ANC from a night club he frequented on the 19th floor of a building, which was not named.

In his statement recorded by Mr Peh, Chia also said he was approached by Wong to find a job for his daughter-in-law Le Thi Hien. He did so, with a subcontractor of 19-ANC and 19-NS2.

Ms Le's salary, however, was paid by Chia and his business associate Tay Eng Chuan, a director of 19-NS2.

Earlier on Wednesday (Sept 26), Wong's lawyer Melanie Ho, of WongPartnership, told the State Court that Wong had forked out more than $10,000 from his own pocket to pay the bills when he went drinking with Chia.

Ms Ho disclosed this while cross-examining CPIB's chief special investigator Tan Jun Kiat.

She said Wong had told the CPIB he had attempted to pay for the entertainment sessions with Chia and his associates, and did so on a few occasions.

She then asked Mr Tan why he did not verify this further when taking Wong's statement in 2016.

Mr Tan said he did not do it, as Wong was unable to show proof that he had paid for the expenses, adding that he was unaware if this was later verified by other CPIB colleagues.

When asked by Ms Ho whether he was involved in obtaining documents on the case, he said he was not.

A handwritten ledger, purportedly documenting the entertainment expenses for Wong and which was seized from Chia's office by Mr Peh, was also the subject of scrutiny at the hearing.

While one of the items was for a spa package at a Geylang spa, Ms Ho said her client had never been there and asked Mr Peh if he had checked on Wong's visits from the spa's records.

Mr Peh replied that he was not aware if this was done and said the case investigating officer could have assigned someone to do so.

The trial continues tomorrow (Sept 27).

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...corruption-paid-more-than-10k-for-expenses-at