• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aloysius Pang's death: No malfunctions with gun-lowering mechanism, says Ng Eng Hen

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE - Inspections did not detect any malfunction of the gun-lowering mechanism of the Singapore Self-Propelled Howitzer (SSPH) that crushed Singapore actor Aloysius Pang and led to his death, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen told Parliament on Monday (Feb 11).

He also gave details of the two other servicemen in the howitzer's cabin with Corporal First Class (NS) Pang, 28, an NS armament technician who died four days after suffering injuries on Jan 19 this year during a military exercise in New Zealand.

The two other servicemen were an operationally-ready national serviceman (NSman), with the rank of Third Sergeant, who performed the role of gun detachment commander; and a regular holding the rank of Military Expert 2. He is an armament technician.

Both, who are experienced in SSPH maintenance, have been redeployed from their operational roles, said Dr Ng.

Dr Ng said this crew had been trained specifically on the SSPH and had conducted similar maintenance works on it in the past, adding that during the exercise in New Zealand last month, checks were done on the guns daily.

The defence minister was giving a ministerial statement in response to more than 10 questions filed by MPs relating to training deaths in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) in the last two years, as well as the measures taken after the most recent incident involving CFC Pang.

On Jan 19, CFC Pang was taking part in an annual live-firing exercise called Thunder Warrior on his seventh in-camp training (ICT). The exercise was held at the Waiouru Training Area.

He was doing repair work on the gun's calibration system for accurate firing inside the SSPH when he could not get out of the way of the gun barrel in time as it was being lowered. He was crushed and died of his injuries four days later.

Following the incident, Dr Ng said the SAF's "immediate task" was to ensure that there was no "systemic machine malfunction of the SSPH", as this would put other maintenance crew members at risk.

"Inspections of the SSPH have not detected any machine malfunction of the gun-lowering mechanism," he said.

Dr Ng said the regular armament technician in the cabin with CFC Pang had been in service for more than 16 years, with eight years of working experience on the SSPH.

It was also his sixth time participating as a technician in Exercise Thunder Warrior.

The gun commander was in his eighth ICT and had undergone refresher training prior to his deployment in the exercise, said Dr Ng. Both personnel were not named.

Dr Ng said the SSPH's cabin is 2.3m in height, measuring 2.44m from front to rear, and 2.64m from side to side. The gun barrel divides the cabin into two. There is space for the three people within the cabin to occupy positions on either side of the gun.

Then it begs the question why was the gun lowered when Pang was in that area? Also, what was the senior technician doing at that time? Okay, the gun's lower mechanism did not malfunctioned, so it is concluded that the gun lowered in 9 seconds. Let's remember this because if it lowered faster, Hen should be executed and served to the public to makan.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cradle for shell loading is sextremely long compared to all other self-propelled howitzers. is this because sinkie designers suffer from amdk dick envy? die die must have super elongated cradle.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cradle for shell loading is sextremely long compared to all other self-propelled howitzers. is this because sinkie designers suffer from amdk dick envy? die die must have super elongated cradle.

Since you are Defense Minister-designate (Defense Secretary since you are in yankee land) in Sweetiepie's cabinet, what would you do if this situation happen under your watch?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since you are Defense Minister-designate (Defense Secretary since you are in yankee land) in Sweetiepie's cabinet, what would you do if this situation happen under your watch?
don't need such a long cradle. short cradle like on the m109 will do. leaves more room for gunners to move around to select rounds, adjust range caps on magazine, and pull rounds from aft of turret.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two final and last options to the Defence Minister for being "sorry" : Either u Hara-kiri OR u Kneel down and Bow three times to Aloysius Pang's parents and resign.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SPG = Self-propelled gun.
the worst spg's are those who complain vehemently about cultural misappropriation but would gladly misappropriate amdk culture with blond hair and blue eye contacts.
1549947387742.png

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Means A pang...sleeping on the job

The way Ah Hen and his Mindef explain things, it can only mean one thing is quite certain; that the late Aloysius Pang is either sleeping on the job as in being clueless, not being alert or at the very least, guilty of contributory negligence standing where he is not supposed to! A case of ownself clears ownself!

meepokboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there's no malfunction on the machine, then it must be human error that caused the fatal accident. Why is no one held responsible till today?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
don't need such a long cradle. short cradle like on the m109 will do. leaves more room for gunners to move around to select rounds, adjust range caps on magazine, and pull rounds from aft of turret.

You are 6.9 times better than Hen. You answered quickly and makes total sense while Hen takes so long to make a point and just read from prepared speech. He is a lazy bum while you are on the ball.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The way Ah Hen and his Mindef explain things, it can only mean one thing is quite certain; that the late Aloysius Pang is either sleeping on the job as in being clueless, not being alert or at the very least, guilty of contributory negligence standing where he is not supposed to! A case of ownself clears ownself!

Alamak, you just target Pang and spare the others of any blame? How about the commander who ordered the lowering of gun without checking? Pang and the regular were working together ...why did the regular siam while Pang was crushed? Most important of all is the 'safety rules' put in place by MINDEF ...are they even useful? Were those rules just paper work to cover ass, not intended for actual observations because of impracticality?

Last edited:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alamak, you just target Pang and spare the others of any blame? How about the commander ordered the lowering of gun without checking? Pang and the regular were working together ...why did the regular siam while Pang was crushed?

Alamak. My sincere apologies if I have caused you some consternation.I should have expressed it more clearly. I am not even for one moment targeting the late Pang.He has already made the ultimate sacrifice and paid for it dearly with his life. Rather I am targeting talkcock Ah Hen for trying to make it like as if it's not really MIndef's fault because of the way he explained it in Parliament. His emphasis was that no one should be standing there in that confined space and that everyone was supposedly well-trained and experienced esp the detachment commander and the regular ME 2 who had logged in many ICTS already.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alamak. My sincere apologies if I have caused you some consternation.I should have expressed it more clearly. I am not even for one moment targeting the late Pang.He has already made the ultimate sacrifice and paid for it dearly with his life. Rather I am targeting talkcock Ah Hen for trying to make it like as if it's not really MIndef's fault because of the way he explained it in Parliament. His emphasis was that no one should be standing there in that confined space and that everyone was supposedly well-trained and experienced esp the detachment commander and the regular ME 2 who had logged in many ICTS already.

Thank you for the clarification.