• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All opposition leaders turn up to support SDP event except WP

Ah Hai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saturday, January 03, 2009
Rating of political leaders
Rating of political leaders, based on first 50 and 100 responses.
1=low rating, 3=neutral rating, 5=high rating

Leader 50 resp 100 resp
JBJ 3.83 4.02
CST 3.71 3.65
TT 3.31 3.43
LTK 3.39 3.34
LKY 3.02 3.10
KBW 2.90 3.00
SJ 2.65 2.77
TCH 2.60 2.71
GCT 2.60 2.70
CSJ 2.55 2.67
LHL 2.67 2.65

Excluding lowest 4 ratings.
Posted by Tan Kin Lian at 9:51 PM

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Locke,

The points highlighted in your post made me pause for thought.

"That ideological divide will not permit a unity in tactics and strategy."

Those are reasonable points.

What ideological divide can there be in wanting to change the electoral system that has been put in place by a dictatorial regime to perpetuate its oppressive and exploitative rule?

The PAP electoral process is nothing but a sham, a fraud, a humbug. The SDP from the NYE's countdown at Hong Lim park is not against elections per se. It's for changing/reforming the process and wanting free, fair and independent elections. What is wrong with that? Anyone worthy of wanting to identify as opposition/alternative to the PAP should have no quarrel over this.

Last edited:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear One

I would say that all agree on the need for electoral reform but disagree on the means to achieve this and other aims. Electoral reform and the need for electoral reform is a given in the context of opposition politics within Singapore and stands together with the other wish lists of the opposition lower minesterial pay, less income divide etc etc. The eternal question as always is how to achieve that goal.

1. Fight despite the unlevel and unfair playing field and win. That means playing to win and playing hard and that is a route that JBJ RP SPP NSP and the WP believes in. I do not see seriously the PAP giving up their electoral advantages in any form except under both civil society and electoral pressure.

2. Civil disobedience to level the playing field and then only then taking part in elections to win because only then will elections reflect truely the will of the electorate.

Straight political calculus gives me the following. If one has the strength to force electoral reform on the PAP through civil disobedience, then one has the strength to force through other items on the political agenda as well, from the income gap, to minesterial pay, public transport etc etc which sort of negates the need for parliament to begin with

Difference between force and pressure ? Force means getting the opposition agenda adopted by the PAP to the letter, Pressure means the PAP accomodating and adopting the agenda but to a lesser degree or perhaps a much lesser degree.

On the other hand if one views civil disobedience as means to pressure change on to the PAP and to shift their policies by shifting the society and the foundations which they rule, then both civil disobedience and the parliamentary route go hand in hand.

Locke

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there may be a third factor as well i.e. external pressure in its various shapes and forms but to have some type of effect on this PAP government it would probably have to relate to $$$/economy/jobs.

I do not see seriously the PAP giving up their electoral advantages in any form except under both civil society and electoral pressure.

Locke

mustpaycashhhh

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP Low Thia Kiang and Sylvia Lim were not present. Don't tell me SDP never invite them ?

How can there be opposition unity and solidarity when WP is always the odd party out ?

So what? Big fuck is it? People see SDP no up what. Kaubaykaubu for what? You are loser lah! Stoopig dog you.