• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All Chinese Nobel Prize winners are American/UK/French Citizens with Western PHDs

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously NUS in international ratings are questionable. I hope you don't believe that bullshit. Can I make another unsupported assumption - you did not name the "top" US Uni unlike NUS because you may not be able to answer questions related to it if some forummers who actually attended it asked you.

The point is your constant hang-up about education. Education is a stepping stone. Its what you make out of it. Your constant obsession tells me that something is clearly amiss.

You are missing the point completely as no one is talking about education here.

These guys are exposed to tonnes of research opportunities and came into contact with entire academic ecosystem in top western universities. Even if you want to make something out of your degree in SG/China, you can't due to a lack of opportunities and horrible research environment.

Just because you went through a bachelor coursework education doesn't mean that it's the same at the PhD level. :rolleyes:

No one is hang up about education. I am blessed with a great and cheap NUS undergraduate education coupled with world class US university graduate training. I have no need to reveal any more details because it will violate my privacy and a search on the net on that school's SSA will reveal my name. It's just a place for me to inform sinkies of some ideas about the world. In this thread, I am just pointing out what many Chinese are in self-denial about, including you, using facts and data. Revealing my personal info will not achieve this goal.

Edit:
What's shocking is that you have no contribution to this thread at all.. Why not share your point of view instead of playing the self-appointed moderating role about something you have not been able to make a conversant comment about?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You just repeated what Longbow wrote. Now that you know the answer, hopefully you will move on to another topic.

These guys are exposed to tonnes of research opportunities and came into contact with entire academic ecosystem in top western universities. Even if you want to make something out of your degree in SG/China, you can't due to a lack of opportunities and horrible research environment.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you found your calling in threads more appropriate.
you can't say u go way off topic and talk about something that have no relations to the thread, instead it's good lesson for me.

note. you never reply directly to what other wrote but make wild assumptions.
that's why you are a lanchio lang.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I doubt he will reveal. He just climbed a little higher with his Phd claim. So now we facing a Phd from a top US Uni. Got to be an honour to deal with a person like that. I am impressed.

Reminds me of primary school, where kids use to compare whose father got the biggest car. One thread and I got him to increase his level of self confidence. Hope he does not start a thread about housing. If he does, I bet you, he will eventually claim that he lives in a top house in a top street.

Ivy league Uni

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I doubt he will reveal. He just climbed a little higher with his Phd claim. So now we facing a Phd from a top US Uni. Got to be an honour to deal with a person like that. I am impressed.

Reminds me of primary school, where kids use to compare whose father got the biggest car. One thread and I got him to increase his level of self confidence. Hope he does not start a thread about housing. If he does, I bet you, he will eventually claim that he lives in a top house in a top street.

Stop jumping to conclusions again. I never said I have a PhD but that doesn't mean I am not working towards one or I am not working with PhD students in a company. :rolleyes:

You don't have to be in a PhD program to know what's happening in there or have an idea how the academic environment is in US.
Let me quote a few instances where you can know about what's happening in a PhD program

1) You work in a University, directly with researchers to implement projects
2) Your girlfriend is a PhD holder or faculty member of a research-based university
3) You worked with PhD research teams as a Masters student
4) You manage PhD holders in a technology company
5) You work for NSF or other government agencies
6) You are an education administrator that designs curriculum and applies for research funding

Do you need more? :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is insightful. What is the next level after Phd?

Stop jumping to conclusions again. :rolleyes:

You don't have to be in a PhD program to know what's happening in there or have an idea how the academic environment is in US.
Let me quote a few instances where you can know about what's happening in a PhD program

1) You work in a University, directly with researchers to implement projects
2) Your girlfriend is a PhD holder or faculty member of a research-based university
3) You worked with PhD research teams as a Masters student
4) You manage PhD holders in a technology company
5) You work for NSF or other government agencies
6) You are an education administrator that designs curriculum and applies for research funding

Do you need more? :rolleyes:

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is insightful. What is the next level after Phd?

PhD is just an apprenticeship. Rather than just an education like you think it is, PhD is more like an entry pass into the academic arena in USA and a lot of your success cannot be self-determined too, contrary to what you think. It has got a lot to do with your specialization and the group of people you work with or trained under.

Of course, you can submit all your research proposals to NSF and other grants, but having approved requires either strong supporting work made possible by million of equipment investment or simply, academic pedigree.

BTW, I am just talking about science and engineering PhDs.

Having said all these, the Chinese are still paying $200/mth to their factory operators instead of researching on robots to automate their manufacturing. Soon they will be replaced by robots in 1st world countries, when the technology matures in about 20 years. All I can say is that those PRC Chinese are extremely bad technocrats.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought after Phd , you become a registrar , then a consultant.
PhD is just an apprenticeship. Rather than just an education like you think it is, PhD is more like an entry pass into the academic arena in USA and a lot of your success cannot be self-determined too, contrary to what you think. It has got a lot to do with your specialization and the group of people you work with or trained under.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought after Phd , you become a registrar , then a consultant.

A lot of PhD Engineers go work as an average Engineer in Tech companies like Google or Intel etc. Pay is good.

Some go work in universities as faculty members.
Some go to do post-grads at better universities to prepare to enter a bigger school as a faculty member. If you grad from State Uni, you may go to Ivy league schools to do 2 years of research before applying for a better school that you graduated from.

Anyway my point is not insult Chinese like you think.
What I want to do is to raise awareness about how we should improve China/Singapore. There are many smart Chinese people but without the managers doing the right thing like the Americans are doing, we will never get it right.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
SG is still the most successful chinese managed country in the world

That's a fact

As for wages, it has got to do with the fact that state-owned companies make up the bulk of our economy

Singapore isn't managed by Chinese. It's managed by Singaporeans from a cross section of local cultures.