• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All about cars in Malaysia

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I must say that I am biased when it comes to mechanic, really found a good one in this place, Overseas Tyre, aka yellow signboard Michellin run by (ah ming aka Satu Malaysia ) Update - He is no longer there now, we have Gao Lao over there. Nice and honest chap.

I have went to many before i finally found this gem.

Last edited:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Reliable mechanic? Mr Satu Malaysia

Bro Wuqi,

Not sure whether it is appropriate to put my post here. If not, I will move this post to an appropriate place. I am looking for information about learning driving in Nusajaya for both my wife and myself, the tutor and the rate (hopefully it is cheaper than those in SG) and getting an international license there.

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Outside HH, at Bukit Indah 2, near one of the chinese coffeeshop, there is a small private driving school.. I guess you can check it out..

Bro Wuqi,

Not sure whether it is appropriate to put my post here. If not, I will move this post to an appropriate place. I am looking for information about learning driving in Nusajaya for both my wife and myself, the tutor and the rate (hopefully it is cheaper than those in SG) and getting an international license there.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Thanks for sharing bro arsenal, near Eco Setia or rather on the way to Eco Setia, there is one on the right side, after the prawn fishing/coffeeshop. They even have facilities for heavy vehicles too.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Ah meng aka Satu Malaysia may have some ideas on the tyres and rims as well

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro Wuqi, thank you very much for the info.

Thanks for sharing bro arsenal, near Eco Setia or rather on the way to Eco Setia, there is one on the right side, after the prawn fishing/coffeeshop. They even have facilities for heavy vehicles too.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Bro Wuqi, thank you very much for the info.

Sure, this place is like the SSDC of old in Ang Mo Kio, much smaller in size though they have circuits inside.
The thing about learning in MY is that they have a 6 month no entry to SG rule though once you pass (rule is from SG) so
2 ways about it essentially if you want to get your license here.

One is you apply for MM2H, the other is to just to get the VISA stamp (or MACS) and U turn back after stamping at Malaysia
customs so you never enter SG.

Also, some bros were sharing about getting international license, its cheaper to get in SG as compared to MY for the international
license. Also, both countries practise reciprocal recognition of each others license so its still ok to drive your own MY car but of course
for 1000% peace of mind, get an international driving license if you want to be 100% safe.

General comment:

To all bros and sis, yes you can buy a MY car, yes you can get 70% loan pretty easily and most banks do not need a guarantor (unless you are referring to Ambank which is another story, hard to get into this bank but one of the best banks as they are not as eager as other banks to tow away your car if you are unable to make it punctually) - Car dealer shared this with me

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Good cars and car dealers

Just sharing for those who like Korean cars. For Kia, you can go to Naza. The new Kia cars are starting to impress.

As for Hyundai, there is a pretty nice dealer, AKRR SDN BHD, originally from Kulai i think.

The GM there is Mr Cheng, nice and smiley gentleman. Very helpful too even when a friend (from Satu Malaysia)
had a tough issue with his Starex(owner caused damage), he still offered to help though the car wasn't bought
from them.

32 & 33 Jalan Tampoi 7/1, 81200 Johor Bahru
+607 333 2339 or +607 332 3339

Price wise, they are also pretty competitive. Their Hyundai Sonata as well as the Santa Fe looks good too. Slurpz.
They have comprehensive 5 years warranty (last 2 years are for gearbox and engine only though)

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro Wuqi, thanks a lot.

Learning driving in MY allows taking driving test (international) in SG? Of course, if this is practical, I have to check how much one can save from learning driving in MY compared with SG.

If one has got MACS already, then can take test and apply license in MY?

Bro Wuqi, by the way, I notice you also often stay up quite late at night like I do.

Sure, this place is like the SSDC of old in Ang Mo Kio, much smaller in size though they have circuits inside.
The thing about learning in MY is that they have a 6 month no entry to SG rule though once you pass (rule is from SG) so
2 ways about it essentially if you want to get your license here.

One is you apply for MM2H, the other is to just to get the VISA stamp (or MACS) and U turn back after stamping at Malaysia
customs so you never enter SG.

Also, some bros were sharing about getting international license, its cheaper to get in SG as compared to MY for the international
license. Also, both countries practise reciprocal recognition of each others license so its still ok to drive your own MY car but of course
for 1000% peace of mind, get an international driving license if you want to be 100% safe.

General comment:

To all bros and sis, yes you can buy a MY car, yes you can get 70% loan pretty easily and most banks do not need a guarantor (unless you are referring to Ambank which is another story, hard to get into this bank but one of the best banks as they are not as eager as other banks to tow away your car if you are unable to make it punctually) - Car dealer shared this with me

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Bro Wuqi, thanks a lot.

Learning driving in MY allows taking driving test (international) in SG? Of course, if this is practical, I have to check how much one can save from learning driving in MY compared with SG.

If one has got MACS already, then can take test and apply license in MY?

Bro Wuqi, by the way, I notice you also often stay up quite late at night like I do.

You can actually take it in MY but you can also take a driving test in SG after taking lessons in MY. Definitely cheaper. Yes as I work day and night in my current job.

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks, Bro Wuqi. Working day and night? meaning not so much time to rest and sleep. Please take care, Bro.

You can actually take it in MY but you can also take a driving test in SG after taking lessons in MY. Definitely cheaper. Yes as I work day and night in my current job.

Last edited:

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal

In MY, you have to be careful as there are quite a number of imitations around. I normally will check out mudah.com.my or zerotohundred.com for good deals. If not, a good mechanic with solid contacts can help you source too.

For those interested, my mechanic in Malaysia is located at Perling:
Soh Brothers Tyres
214, Jalan Layang 16, Taman Perling, Johor Bharu, 81200, Johor Bahru, Johor
http://superpages.com.my/listings/my131331

Look for Michael (boss) or Chester (chief mechanic) and say the orange MX-5 recommended them.

Anyone knows of lobang to get those motorsports pre-used heavily discounted sport rims/tyres?

nesta0013

Alfrescian
Loyal

I must say that I am biased when it comes to mechanic, really found a good one in this place, Overseas Tyre, aka yellow signboard Michellin run by ah ming aka Satu Malaysia :smile:

I have went to many before i finally found this gem.

What is the address for this shop?
Is it a one-stop shop? Meaning do everything related to car under one shop.

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Good cars and car dealers

Bro Wuqi, I heard that you got MY cars to be low-profile. I thought you got Protons as well, right?

Just sharing for those who like Korean cars. For Kia, you can go to Naza. The new Kia cars are starting to impress.

As for Hyundai, there is a pretty nice dealer, AKRR SDN BHD, originally from Kulai i think.

The GM there is Mr Cheng, nice and smiley gentleman. Very helpful too even when a friend (from Satu Malaysia)
had a tough issue with his Starex(owner caused damage), he still offered to help though the car wasn't bought
from them.

32 & 33 Jalan Tampoi 7/1, 81200 Johor Bahru
+607 333 2339 or +607 332 3339

Price wise, they are also pretty competitive. Their Hyundai Sonata as well as the Santa Fe looks good too. Slurpz.
They have comprehensive 5 years warranty (last 2 years are for gearbox and engine only though)

Last edited:

gskalra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask if I could rent a car in Nusajaya? Perhaps come by bus to through Jurong East, then rent a car for the day?

Or if not anywhere good and cheap in JB City will be good too.

Thanks

yowetan

What is the requirement owning a Malaysia registered car?

Where can I find cheap and reliable second-hand car which can brings me from JB to Thailand possibly? Is there any chance I could get a good proton @ 8000RM for this venture from JB to Penang and vice versa?

nesta0013

Alfrescian
Loyal

Followed a friend to change car's lubricant oil at Ah Wee air con & accessories workshop opposite KSL(near road side at the traffic light there) yesterday, was served by Chew and his service is not bad. Cost is RM180.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New Causeway toll!

Heard next week new toll rate in JB causeway?
Is it for real?

Property
Search for Property

Nation
Sarawak
World Updates
Courts
Parliament
Columnists
Opinion
Honours List

Sunday February 5, 2012
Motorists may have to pay five times more in toll charges along EDL
By NELSON BENJAMIN
[email protected]

JOHOR BARU: Motorists using the Johor Causeway between Malaysia and Singapore may be forced to pay five times more in toll charges once it is implemented along the Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL).

They will be forced to pay the toll even if they do not use the 8.1km EDL as the collection will be done inside the Customs, Quarantine and Im**migration Complex (CIQ).

Presently, motorists using the Johor Causeway are only required to pay RM2.90 for cars during their return trip at the CIQ building.
Much-debated route: The 8.1km Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL) is expected to be opened in the coming weeks.

The RM1.27bil EDL, which will help reduce congestion in the city area along Jalan Tebrau and Jalan Tun Razak, is linked directly to the North South Expressway.

It is expected to be opened in the coming weeks.

Sources said the toll collection proposed by the concessionaire, MRCB Bhd, was RM6.20 for cars one way.

“Besides the RM6.20 EDL toll, drivers will have to pay RM1.45 to PLUS Bhd. This means the total toll is RM7.65 one way, which works out to RM15.30 to leave and return to Malaysia,” they said.

The toll, to be cashless with the use of Touch’N Go, will affect about 70,000 to 100,000 local and Si**ngaporean commuters each day. There is no toll for motorcyclists.

The EDL toll proposed for taxis is RM3.10, buses (RM5.00), light trucks (RM9.30) and heavy vehicles, including trailers, at RM12.40.

Describing the collection process as absurd, Johor Baru MP Datuk Shahrir Samad said it would be unfair to those who did not use the EDL to travel to and from Singapore.

“How can you force everyone using the Johor Baru CIQ to pay the toll? I am not sure of the rate when it starts charging at the CIQ and this will cause a lot of unhappiness,” he said, adding that he hoped the Cabinet would carefully review the long-term implications.

Echoing Shahrir’s concerns, Stulang assemblyman Mok Chek Hou said he had already raised the issue twice in the Johor state assembly and at other events.

“This goes against the principle of toll collection of paying for what you use. Why must people travelling from the city into Singapore pay for the toll too?” he said.

Mok also expressed worry that although the project could help reduce traffic jams along major roads, poor implementation would mar the Government’s image.