• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aljunied GRC MPs Outreach...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Journey back to Singapore

by Chen Show Mao on Saturday, October 8, 2011 at 10:25pm

I have received several invitations to meet with people to share my story following GE 2011. It never ceases to amaze me at the interest. But if it can pave the way to get more Singaporeans to step forward in public service, I will happily oblige.

This week, the Stanford Club of Singapore kindly invited me to speak on "My journey back to Singapore". During the Q&A, a fellow capital markets lawyer posed a question on what I left behind (a legal career) and why? To me, it's more about what's ahead. I am new to political life and will undoubtedly get some hard knocks. But I look forward to it with enthusiasm and hope.

My journey back to Singapore

INTRODUCTION

When I arrived at Stanford in the late nineteen eighties, I was feeling on top of the world. I thought I had come off great runs at Harvard and Oxford. Taken some knocks, Yes, but learnt from them. And for a young man, there was nothing better than learning from your experience. In addition to prospects of fine classroom instruction, Stanford looked set to offer me opportunities to continue learning about public interest law at its community law projects in East Palo Alto. A research assistantship with my professor would enable me to continue learning about research in law and economics.

I had chosen Stanford, Stanford had chosen me, it felt like being in love.

And like many friends who also ended up at Stanford following several years on the East Coast or in England, I was looking forward to doing my learning in the California sun. Of everything around me, I kept asking: "Why?"... and "Why not?"

Life seemed full of possibilities.

That is the sense of being fully alive and of possibilities that I remember vividly from my days at Stanford. That's the same sense that brings me here tonight. It is the sense that I hope our young people can always share. Right here in Singapore.

When I was extended the invitation to meet with you today, I was told that friends at the Stanford club would like to learn more about me, my beliefs and the decisions I made to come home and stand in the last elections.

MY EARLIER YEARS AND WHAT SHAPED ME

Let me begin with my earlier years.
What shaped me to be who I am today.
In the many schools I attended right through Stanford and most recently in my practice as a corporate lawyer, I spent almost all of my time and energy on my work and my career. I also have a young family and my wife and I naturally spend as much time as possible raising a family, bringing up our children the best we can.

But over time a sense grew stronger within me-- the sense that I needed to give something back to society for what I have received, which has been a great deal.

You see ... Along the way, I formed a belief:
We have, each of us, benefitted from what others around us or before us have given or contributed. I do not believe that any of us is who he is solely as a result of his individual talents, hard work and ambition. In my case I benefitted from what my parents gave me (it goes without saying), also my teachers, my colleagues, the people who donated money to build the schools I attended, and to fund scholarships for needy students, and so many others before and around me.

I use the words “give” and “contribute”. I do not think it is solely a matter of exchange in which I received something from these benefactors only because they had received something from me in return. Take my teachers as an example. What they did for me was not, as most see it today, part of a transaction in which I paid my fees and they provided their services (and met their key performance indicators). The good teachers brought their hearts and minds and the best part of themselves to the task and gave me an education.

That extra bit made all the difference, and it was freely given to me.

It is up to me to give back.

As I grow older, the sense grows stronger that I may not have all that much time to give back.

SERVICE: MAKING PEOPLE’S LIVES BETTER

How do I give back -- how can i be of service?
I asked myself these questions before embarking on my journey back to Singapore.

For me, The starting point has to be how do you help make people’s lives better?
We all have our ways.
I believe that particularly pertinent for Singaporeans today is to ask -- how do you make government policies more responsive to people’s needs?
Because our government is a big part of our lives.

A CREDIBLE ALTERNATIVE

How do you help make government policies more responsive to people's needs? I think there needs to be a credible alternative -- political parties OTHER than the ruling party, which are capable of forming the government. This alternative needs to be credible for it to be effective in keeping the Ruling Party on its toes and doing a good job.

Since the last general elections in May, we have seen a slew of government policy revisions for the benefit of Singaporeans. Reasonably in response to the bigger presence of the opposition in the elections.

FIRST, A ministerial salary review committee was set up just 2 weeks following the elections.
THEN, HDB was soon told to build more flats ahead of demand and the income ceiling was raised after 17 years.
AND The transport fare hike came in at 1 percent, lower than requested and expected, and senior citizens got their concessions extended to the whole day.
HOW about nature lovers? the former KTM railway would be preserved as a green corridor.
AND university places would be increased by nearly 17 percent over the next four years.

I am happy to see the government actively reviewing its policies. I believe the bigger presence of the opposition helped. We know that the ground is shifting slowly but surely below us when we see Singaporeans talk more freely, feeling more emboldened. When we hear the Prime Minister tell his party that it needs to adjust its policies to serve the people better.

I believe that a credible alternative will help produce better policy in a functioning multi-party parliamentary system.
We have the institutions in place for such a system -- we have general elections that different political parties take part in; we have a parliament. But we have not developed a credible alternative, for historical and other reasons. It’s as if we have the machinery in place, but not the people to make it work properly!!

So I think it’s important for people to step forward NOW and start to help grow a credible alternative. That means ordinary Singaporeans like us. Mind you, for any political party wishing to offer up a credible alternative, it WILL .TAKE .TIME for it to learn and grow into its role.

As one person, there may be only so much that I can do, but I feel that I have to do that much.

That's how I came to knock on the doors of the Workers' Party during one of its open house receptions in 2007. And that's how I came to stand as a candidate in the last general elections, however unlikely a politician I may have felt I was.

I hope that by the small examples of more and more people around us taking small steps forward, Singaporeans will be more encouraged, will be less fearful, will find it more normal, to speak up, ask questions and become more actively engaged in politics.
I call it the “Power of We.”
By taking small steps and setting examples for one another. We draw strength from one another. We draw strength from our community of ordinary Singaporeans who believe that political diversity is good for Singapore.

In short, I embarked on my journey back to Singapore to serve Singaporeans. Hoping to make it easier, more "normal", for my fellow Singaporeans to come forward and make our democracy work. I believe it is good for us. I believe it is what we need.

SERVICE: THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

Now, let me talk about service as a role of the government.

As I see it, our government's central task to serve Singaporeans.
You may say, "Yes, of course." But I am not sure if we always remember to use that yardstick to measure the success of our government policies.

To me service means putting at the center of things the object of our service.

The question is simple, it is a matter of perspective, who will be at the center of things, that is all. Is it the people of Singapore, or some measure of gross development or growth, that has over time been taken as a proxy for what's good for Singapore.

For instance, when the economy grew by 14%, as it did last year, but median household income grew only 3%, or 0% after you adjust for inflation, then we need to ask "who is all this growth for?" Who is at the center of all this economic growth if most Singaporean households barely kept pace? I have come to meet many more Singaporeans in this situation since my return.

It has got to be: all this economic growth will go to benefit MOST Singaporeans, in the long run if not necessarily in the short run.

But is that the case?

SERVANT LEADERSHIP

In his National Day dinner speech in Ang Mo Kio, the Prime Minister said that we've got to “keep on getting our economics right, our policies right and our politics right”. All three are important, and we need to get our politics right in order to get our policies right. It is what I have been talking about. It is our aim. I believe that through well- functioning multi-party Parliamentary politics, we will get more responsive government policies that put at the center of things the service of the people of Singapore.

Some of our leaders worry about that. ESM Goh Chok Tong warned that Singaporeans must “choose between pragmatic and populist politics”. In pragmatic politics, Singaporeans will accept measures with short-term pain but long-term gain. "In populist politics, they want immediate gratification and ignore the long-term costs.”

He is right. I face the same problems everyday: do I go jogging today or not? I'm often tempted to avoid short term pain at the expense of long term gain. In politics, people often vote the same way. Now let's talk about populist politics.

Populist politics pose a real danger to Singapore. That is why we criticize the government's populist policies such as making opposition wards last in queue for Lift upgrading programs, and making cash distributions to citizens just before the general elections. These populist policies have the effect of linking votes to lifts and to cash in the voters' minds, and appear to pander to the voters' worst instincts. They focus the voters' attention on the very short term, instead of what may be good for the country in the long term.

These populist policies were put in place by a government with an overwhelming majority in Parliament. So Singapore has always had to face the temptations of populist politics. And if one feels that, on the whole, Singaporeans in the past had chosen well between populist and pragmatic politics. Then there is no reason to feel overly concerned that we will not continue to do the same, just because we have now made the pragmatic choice of giving the opposition a few more seats in Parliament.

In the face of the temptations of populist politics, I don't think the solution is to say: Let's have fewer voices. Instead we should have more voices. Voices to educate, to reason, to persuade. If you feel you know better what is good for the people you serve, then, as a Servant, you need to make that case to them in a fair and unbiased manner.

The truth is many of us look to our government leaders, our Servants, for guidance and leadership. We want to learn from our leaders and make progress. We welcome help to make up our minds. But that final decision is ours to make. That is key. The added burden of PERSUATION is a necessary (and welcome) burden that must be taken on by our leaders who aim to serve in the new normal. Ultimately it is their duty to respect our decision, including the decision to elect opposition MPs to represent us in Parliament.

NOW, THAT to me, is Servant Leadership.

Friends, We live in a democracy in which the people are sovereign, and our politicians are not rulers of the people, but are public servants. We must remember this, even as we look to our politicians for leadership. I believe our country needs every woman or man who is willing to come forward to serve. To step forward and offer to play a bigger part in public life, in the life of our community.

The way I see it. At this point in our nation's history, the act of coming forward is an act of public service. Taking the first step forward makes half the journey.
The way I see it. When you choose to embark on your journey of service, you may feel that the steps you can take are just too small. BUT you know something? -- you will be a source of strength, encouragement and inspiration to the people around you.

Come, friends, step forward, do what you can.

THANK YOU.

301253_210697152328886_150220718376530_546464_1645761314_n.jpg

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP MPs before taking their oaths of allegiance at the first session of the 12th parliament of Singapore.

300717_179151778832119_115316645215633_361061_222554291_n.jpg

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New Faces In Parliament

Aljunied GRC

<tbody>
</tbody>
Mr Chen Show Mao
alj_chen_show_mao.jpg
Full Name: Chen Show Mao
Place of Birth: China
Race: Chinese
Party Affiliation: Workers’ Party

<tbody>
</tbody>
Mr Muhamad Faisal Bin Abdul Manap
alj_muhamad_faisal.jpg
Full Name: Muhamad Faisal Bin Abdul Manap
Place of Birth: Singapore
Race: Malay

<tbody>
</tbody>
Mr Pritam Singh
alj_pritam_singh.jpg
Full Name: Pritam Singh
Race: Indian

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hougang SMC

<tbody>
</tbody>
Mr Yaw Shin Leong
hgg_yaw_shin_leong.jpg
Full Name: Yaw Shin Leong
Occupation
: Programme Director, Eduhearts Consultancy; and Managing Partner, Easto Global LLP

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Mr Gerald Giam Yean Song
non_gerald_giam.jpg
Full Name: Gerald Giam Yean Song
Place of Birth: United Kingdom

<tbody>
</tbody>

Mr Yee Jenn Jong
non_yee_jenn-jong.jpg
Full Name: Yee Jenn Jong

<tbody>
</tbody>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr Low Thia Khiang’s speech at the Opening of the 12th Parliament

Mr Speaker Sir, on behalf of the members of the Workers’ Party, I extend to you our congratulations on your election as Speaker of Parliament.
I would also like to thank the Leader of the House for welcoming the elected opposition MPs and NCMPs.
With 6 elected Members and 2 NCMPs, the Workers’ Party is now represented in Parliament by a total of 8 Members.
Singaporeans have not been represented by such a relatively ‘large’ number of opposition Members in Parliament since 1966. This is the mandate of our people expressed through the watershed election in May. Singaporeans want Members of the Opposition to speak on their behalf without fear or favour.
Our people are pragmatic but at the same time, they also understand the importance of democracy and good governance to their lives today, and the hopes and dreams of their children tomorrow.
In this regard, they expect the Government to be responsive and accountable. They expect a responsible Parliament in which policies and issues that affect them are seriously debated and rigorously scrutinized. They want clear and transparent explanations from the Ministers at all times.
In this respect, I trust that, Mr Speaker, Sir, you will allow sufficient opportunity for Members of the Opposition to express our views and voice the concerns and needs of the people.
I would like to thank all Singaporeans who have supported the Workers’ Party. In particular, I would like to pay tribute to voters in Aljunied GRC and express my deep gratitude to Hougang voters for their unwavering support.
Together, Sir, let us move towards a First World Parliament. Thank You.

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Worker Party

Other items on the agenda include the appointment of the Committee of Selection, which selects MPs to sit on committees such as the Public Petitions and Public Accounts Committees.

Among the seven MPs to be appointed is Workers' Party member Mr Chen Show Mao.

Parliament to elect two Deputy Speakers
By Joanne Chan | Posted: 14 October 2011 1637 hrs

phplYeIZN.jpg
shim.gif
Special Report
shim.gif
Opening of Singapore Parliament

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody> </tbody>

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Parliament will sit on Monday to elect two new Deputy Speakers.

During that session, Dr Lam Pin Min, MP for Sengkang West will move a motion of thanks in reply to the President's Address.

In his speech at the opening of Parliament on October 10, President Tony Tan Keng Yam had called on Singaporeans not to allow diversity to divide the country.

Other items on the agenda include the appointment of the Committee of Selection, which selects MPs to sit on committees such as the Public Petitions and Public Accounts Committees.

Among the seven MPs to be appointed is Workers' Party member Mr Chen Show Mao.

The other six are Mr Gan Kim Yong, Mr Hri Kumar Nair, Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman, Dr Ng Eng Hen, Mrs Josephine Teo and Mr Lawrence Wong.

Five bills will also be introduced, including the Income Tax (Amendment) Bill and the Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Bill.

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Worker's Party Member of Parliament Chen Show Mao is among seven MPs nominated to sit on the powerful Committee of Selection.

This makes the Aljunied GRC MP the first non-People's Action Party MP to be named to this committee since Singapore's independence.

The committee nominates and picks which MPs will sit on committees such as the Public Petitions and Public Accounts Committees.

In a Facebook post, Chen said, "I feel privileged to be nominated for appointment to the Committee of Selection and look forward to working with the Speaker and other members of the committee in the performance of its functions."

Chen is among seven MPs named by the Speaker of Parliament and the House is expected to approve the list when Parliament sits net week.

The other MPs nominated are: Gan Kim Yong, Hri Kumar Nair, Mohamad Maliki Osman, Ng Eng Hen, Josphine Teo and Lawrence Wong.

On Monday, Parliament will also elect two new Deputy Speakers. Five bills, including the Income Tax (Amendment) Bill and the Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Bill, will also be introduced.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nanyang Technological University honours record 34 alumni those recognised for their achievement

Among those honoured was Workers' Party secretary-general Low Thia Khiang (centre), who received the Nanyang Alumni Achievement Award. With him are NTU president Bertil Andersson (left) and Education Minister Heng Swee Keat. -- PHOTO: NTU

s

Workers' Party secretary-general Low Thia Khiang and songstress Stefanie Sun may seem like an unlikely pair to be sharing a stage. But the two found themselves under the same spotlight on Saturday after they were honoured by their alma mater, Nanyang Technological University (NTU).Both were recognised, along with 32 other alumni, by NTU for the achievements in their respective fields. Among them were Minister of State for Trade and Industry Teo Ser Luck and Members of Parliament Inderjit Singh, Intan Azura Mokhtar and Low Yen Ling. The university said this was the largest number of alumni awards given in a single year. Education Minister Heng Swee Keat, who was guest of honour at the event last night, said a key measure of a university's success is the accomplishments of its alumni.

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is heart-warming to see all the residents extending their welcome to our new opposition MPs. It puts the loser PAP ministers to shame. The poor family boy who was charged by cocky Lim Hwee Hua, has he been rescued, the family need help.

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=1]Sylvia Lim’s speech (Debate on President’s Address)[/h]
May I first thank the President for his Address and the government for making the promises contained in the Address.
The Workers’ Party welcomes and supports the statement that Singapore’s success is defined not just by material progress but by our values and ideals. The Workers’ Party is ready to work with the government towards a better life for all.
However, it is important to point out that over the last few years many Singaporeans have faced harsh realities that do not match the sentiments contained in the Address.
A country’s headline figures, such as GDP growth, mask the realities of life for certain groups. Thus, to have segmented updates, such as the recent joint report by the Ministry of Manpower and Department of Statistics (released Oct 11), is helpful. One disturbing fact from that report is that after accounting for inflation, wages of Singaporeans at the 20th percentile of income have stagnated over the last decade. In other words, the real incomes of the bottom 20% of working Singaporeans have not increased in 10 years.
On the ground, we see that there are Singaporeans who feel unfairly treated vis-à-vis the foreign workforce. Divorces leave many families homeless. The demand for rental flats has risen. Seniors worry about healthcare costs. There are chronically ill patients who have even sold their homes to pay medical bills. As Dr Lam Pin Min said earlier, there are Singaporeans believe that they are better off dead than sick.
These issues, and the fact that they have been around for years, may lead some Singaporeans to question whether the vision in the President’s Address, will be translated to reality.
The Address is titled: A Home We Share, A Future We Build Together. With a vast divide between the haves and have-nots, how do we nurture such a shared home and future together?
At the Opening of the 12th Parliament, I believe that the government is seriously pondering over how to alleviate the ill-effects of certain policies. But moving forward, how should the government assess whether it is going in the correct direction and making a positive impact on people’s lives?
The Bhutan royal wedding hogged headlines over the weekend. As many of us know, the kingdom of Bhutan has an unusual way of measuring the country’s development. It is called GNH or Gross National Happiness. This indicator is garnering international attention, even among developed countries.
In July this year, Bhutan initiated a resolution at the UN General Assembly titled “Happiness: towards a holistic approach to development”. There were a total of 66 co-sponsors of the resolution and the General Assembly adopted it without a vote.
The resolution’s preamble states that “the pursuit of happiness is a fundamental human goal”, and that “the gross domestic product indicator by nature was not designed to and does not adequately reflect the happiness and well-being of people in a country.”
Member states have been invited “to pursue the elaboration of additional measures that better capture the importance of the pursuit of happiness and well-being in development with a view to guiding their public policies.”
With such international interest, is it now time for Singapore’s government to conspicuously focus on happiness as a national goal? Should policies be articulated to show how they will ultimately achieve happiness for Singaporeans as a whole?
This may sound too warm and fuzzy for some, but in fact our government supported the resolution at the United Nations. Indeed, Singapore was one of the 66 countries that co-sponsored the draft resolution.
Since Singapore was a co-sponsor, may I ask the government to elaborate on what will be the practical effect of the resolution on Singapore? What indicators does it it intend to put in place to measure whether Singaporeans as a whole are achieving happiness and well-being? Might the government also tell us how its policies over the next 5 years will be guided by such indicators?
In fact, the concept of happiness at the national level is not new. The American Declaration of Independence states that among the unalienable rights of men are “…Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness”.
Back home, our children pledge every day to achieve “happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation”.
Since independence, Singapore has focused on achieving prosperity and progress. Has happiness been forgotten, despite the words in our pledge? Or maybe it has been assumed that once there is prosperity and progress, happiness would automatically follow.
But has it? Does prosperity and progress come sometimes at the expense of happiness? Prosperity and progress are certainly important, but they cannot be ends in themselves. Surely they should be the means to an end – the happiness of Singaporeans as a whole.
What difference can this make? Let me give an example of an issue that might need to be dealt with very differently by the government if it pursues happiness, rather than maximum GDP growth, as the overarching goal: Singapore’s low fertility rate.
Singapore’s total fertility rate (TFR) should concern us greatly if we are worried about preserving our culture and identity for future generations. I note that surprisingly little emphasis was placed on this in the PMO’s Addenda.
In recent years, home prices have risen sharply. For couples who want children, one of the factors they consider in deciding when to have children and how many to have, is the affordability of housing.
A young couple who wants children but who is stretched by high housing payments over a long repayment period may delay having them, and may even have fewer children than they would ideally like to have.
In Hong Kong, a study by the Chinese University of Hong Kong suggests that housing price inflation could account for up to 65% of their decrease in fertility over the past forty years. (J Yi and J Zhang (2009). The Effect of House Price on Fertility: Evidence from Hongkong. Economic Inquiry, Volume 48, Issue 3.)
In Singapore, analyses by local economists show a similar link. Assoc Prof Tilak Abeysinghe, Deputy Director of the Singapore Centre for Applied and Policy Economics, NUS, has been studying the issue of housing affordability for some time. He notes in an article in the Straits Times on September 1st this year, that in Singapore, the data showed that between 1977 to 2010, there were generally “fewer children when house prices head(ed) north”.
He notes that the total fertility rate of Singapore has a close link with how affordable housing had been two years earlier. When housing was more affordable, the fertility rate in Singapore actually rose two years later. He concludes the article by saying: “Although the fertility rate is stubbornly less responsive to many factors, it is possible that sustaining housing affordability may help at least in arresting the decline in the fertility rate.”
Improving the TFR is a critical issue if Singaporeans are to remain the core of our society.
If economic growth is overwhelmingly the government’s goal, then achieving higher housing prices at the expense of fertility may not be considered a problem.
But if the happiness and the sustainability of Singapore society is the overarching goal, then there is a need to unravel the exact relationship between high property prices and fertility, and what responses might arrest or even reverse the decline in fertility rates. We will have to look beyond immediate procreation incentives to the bigger picture.
My point is: Since the government has co-sponsored the resolution to stress the importance of happiness and well-being in guiding policies, what tangible changes can we expect in the government’s general approach? Will government policies from now on be framed to focus on whether they lead to happiness and contentment for Singaporeans as a whole? Will we be coming up with our own national index of happiness and well-being?
Our founding elected leaders believe that happiness is important to be included in our national pledge. Let us continue to put these beliefs to action. We have been achieving progress and prosperity; let’s give happiness the rightful place in our pledge for this Parliament – “so as to achieve HAPPINESS, prosperity and progress for our nation”.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fantastic speech. Yes happiness should be the top of the list of the goals in any society.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fantastic speech. Yes happiness should be the top of the list of the goals in any society.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Muhamad Faisal Bin Abdul Manap’s speech (Debate on President’s Address)

Mr Speaker, Sir, let me highlight a couple of points brought up by the President in his address. He said, “Strong families are the building blocks of a resilient society” and “Our success is defined not just by material progress but also by our values and ideals.”
In a competitive and growth-centric environment like Singapore, bringing up a strong family with good values and ideals is a challenging task. How do we inspire our children to go beyond material progress when there is so much emphasis placed on asset enhancement? How do we tell our children to think about the values that matter in their lives and not about the values of their HDB flats?
This government has always emphasized the correlation between a strong economy and the quality of life here. While it is true we need money for material progress, we should also look into other important needs in life that can help build a resilient society but have no correlation to economic growth.
In a family unit, the head of the household is responsible to create an environment conducive to inculcate good values and ideals in every member of the family.
Likewise, at the society level, the government is responsible to create an environment conducive to inculcate the same good values and ideals in people to build a home and a future that we can all partake and share.
This government must formulate and implement policies that will allow an individual to fulfil his psychological, emotional and spiritual needs apart from material needs so that he can develop into a responsible member of the community. When that happens, this person will be able to contribute more effectively and positively towards nation building.
I am heartened to hear that the President acknowledges our success is defined not just by material progress but also by our values and ideals. It is indeed timely to look beyond growth and economy for nation building.
The opening of the two casinos has boosted the economy and created some jobs for Singaporeans. However, the benefits brought on by the casinos come with a heavy price to some people in the society. MCYS in its addendum states that the ministry will reinforce social safeguards to reduce harm arising from problem gambling.
The MCYS statement seems to suggest that problem gambling is going to be a big issue going forward. If problem gambling is set to grow, the negative impact on our society as a whole will also grow.
Through my years of counselling experience, I have come to understand the systemic nature of a family unit that the action of an individual member will affect or influence the family as a whole. Thus, if a part of our society is suffering, the nation as a whole will suffer along.
I urge MCYS to do more to build a cohesive and resilient society in a slowing economy. I also urge the ministry to help individuals and families at risk so that their lives will not be destroyed by the roll of a dice or a flip of a card.
The President has also warned of fault lines developing in our society. Fault lines exist almost everywhere now. It exists in our workplace, public housing and even schools. Singaporean are feeling deprived of their privileges as citizens.
How do we manage fault lines and not let these issues divide the nation? Economic growth certainly did not help prevent fault lines from developing further. It certainly did not heal any fault lines either.
The solution to the fault lines in our society lies in this House. Most of the fault lines are the by-products of the growth policies of the government. This government must address the issues and heal the community.
For the next five years, I hope to contribute to a more robust debate on policies that will help Singaporeans fulfil their emotional, psychological and spiritual needs on top of the basic necessity needs. My aspiration is to help build a nation on values that will last for generations to come.
Let me end with a word of wisdom from Confucius. I quote, “To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.” These are indeed wise words to heed in our quest for success beyond material progress and a more resilient society.

Pilihanraya umum 2011 adalah satu pilihanraya yang bersejarah bagi warga Singapura. Warga Singapura terutama penduduk GRC Aljunied telah membuat keputusan untuk mengadakan satu perubahan pada sistem pentadbiran negara dengan mengundi pihak pembangkang ke parlimen. Pemilihan 6 calon pembangkang ke Parlimen adalah satu indikasi bahawa warga Singapura inginkan satu pendekatan yang berbeza, daripada tahun-tahun yang lalu dimana pihak parti pemerintah telah mendominasi parlimen. Saya ingin mengucapkan syabas kepada rakyat Singapura terutama penduduk GRC Aljunied.
Pilihanraya umum 2011 juga merupakan satu detik bersejarah bagi masyarakat Melayu/Islam Singapura. Buat julung-julung kalinya seorang calon pembangkang Melayu telah dipilih ke parlimen.
Saya amat yakin perubahan yang berlaku ini akan mendatangkan kebaikan kepada masyarakat Melayu/Islam. Walaupun ada pihak yang meyuarakan perbezaan boleh menghambat perkembangan dan kemajuan, namun bagi saya perbezaan pandangan dan perspektif adalah satu fitrah atau semulajadi yang jika kita memanfaatkan akan mendatangkan rahmah dan kebaikan.
Sejak dipilih sebagai seorang Anggota Parlimen enam bulan yang lalu, saya telah menerima banyak pandangan, maklum balas dan curahan harapan daripada individu-individu Melayu/Islam dari pelbagai latarbelakang kehidupan. Suara-suara ini mengalu-alukan adanya suara alternatif bagi kepimpinan Melayu/Islam yang sedia ada. Mereka bersifat positif dan terbuka dengan situasi yang baru ini dan mengharapkan yang terbaik untuk masyarakat.
Pada keseluruhannya, ramai yang berharapan agar saya menyuarakan isu-isu yang dekat dihati masyarakat Melayu/Islam. Namun demikian, mereka juga akur bahawa saya mempunyai dwi peranan iaitu pemimpin kepada masyarakat Melayu serta masyarakat Singapura amnya. Walaupun mereka kehausan suara alternatif untuk menyuarakan isu-isu yang berkaitan dengan masyarakat Melayu/Islam, namun mereka mengharapkan agar saluran alternatif ini berfungsi secara rasional, bertanggungjawab serta terhormat. Mereka mahu saya menjalankan tugas kepimpinan saya dengan adil dan saksama tidak kira bangsa, bahasa dan agama. Saya ingin merakamkan rasa bangga terhadap masyarkat Melayu/Islam kerana sifat mereka yang rasional, prihatin, matang serta inklusif. Ini berlawanan dengan pandangan sesetengah pihak yang berpendapat masyarakat Melayu/Islam tidak mudah untuk berintegrasi serta bersifat eksklusif.
Tuan Speaker, memandang kehadapan, setiap golongan dan lapisan masyrakat Melayu/Islam mesti memainkan peranan masing-masing dalam memperbaiki status kehidupan dan mencapai kemajuan. Saya ingin menyatakan bahawa saya amat terbuka serta ikhlas untuk bekerjasama dengan kepimpinan Melayu/Islam yang sedia ada, serta organisasi-organisai pemerintah dan badan-badan Melayu/Islam.
Satu usaha yang kolektif harus diadakan dari pihak pemimpin dan juga golongan yang dipimpin. Setiap pihak terutamanya para pemimpin harus menjalankan amanah yang diberi dengan penuh keikhlasan, kejujuran dan keyakinan. Namun dalam usaha kearah kebaikan, cabaran dan liku-liku akan ditempuhi. Sekira berlakunya sesuatu kegagalan atau kesilapan, setiap pihak terutama sekali para pemimpin harus melakukan introspeksi atau muhasabah diri. Tidak gunanya kita menunding jari kerana ia akan membawa kepada lebih banyak perpecahan dan tidak kesepaduan seperti pepatah Bersatu Kita Teguh, Bercerai Kita Roboh. Ini adalah nasihat yang saya tujukan kepada diri saya sendiri terlebih dahulu sebagai seorang pemimpin dan para pemimpin-pemimpin yang lain serta golongan yang dipimpin.
Saya ingin akhiri ucapan ini dengan kekata mutiara, “Nasib sesebuah masyrakat tidak akan berubah jika masyarakat itu sendiri tidak mahu berniat dan berusaha untuk mengubah nasibnya”. Dan perubahan ini harus dimulakan dari peringkat pemimpin. Saya percaya jika ada keikhlasan, kejujuran bersertakan keyakinan, masyarakat Melayu/Islam akan terus maju dan menjadi masyarakat yang lebih efektif, aktif dan produktif dalam menyumbang ke arah pembangunan negara dan masyrakat Singapura. Ini adalah sejajar dengan nilai masyarakat kita iaitu “Mendatangkan rahmah kepada semua”. Sekian.

Last edited: