• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Alert: Queensway Shopping Centre and Queensway Tower might be put on collective sale

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed, but I think the 'Famous' curry chicken is the original one... but it had also become a 328 laksa franchisee.

The chicken curry at the 'Janggut' stall is the copycat.
Haha I just watched the hk movie Gutenberg project. Got me thinking about real and fakes haha none so true as our fake pap democracy here

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget the racquet restringing services, for those playing tennis or badminton.

There's another one at Beauty World Plaza, but not sure how much longer the uncle is going to live. :wink:

10741580_ghsn-bjaqV4Vn178QXUh2rDu_CFIipfeIRK5sdukaYA.jpg
Now is buy and throw away culture already.
The last time I restrung a racket there was probably more than 30 years ago. For my Yonex carbonex

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The

Dun remember that. Was it at the ex billard salon location? Remembered basement level used to have a ktv as well. Replaced the game arcade. Ktv name was Lorelei
Its located at the far back near shops selling stationary and photocopies shops.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beauty world centre has changed quite a bit now its home to many Art and Writing studios as well as the whole area there esp lorong kilat has become little kimchi..the mutton soup at the top floor hawker is now charging 7 bucks per serve which I dont think it's worth..

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beauty world centre has changed quite a bit now its home to many Art and Writing studios as well as the whole area there esp lorong kilat has become little kimchi..the mutton soup at the top floor hawker is now charging 7 bucks per serve which I dont think it's worth..

Indeed, the McDonalds on the ground floor also got renovated, used to have that vintage signboard.

There was a game arcade on one of the upper floors, near the escalators. It was a popular place for pai kias to hang out after school. :biggrin:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some shop owners resistant as Queensway Shopping Centre gears up for collective sale
Queensway Shopping Centre 3
Queensway Shopping Centre (Photo: Darius Boey)
Share this content
Bookmark
SINGAPORE: A number of shop owners at Queensway Shopping Centre have banded together to resist the proposed collective sale of the 45-year-old development, even as residents at the adjacent housing apartment Queensway Tower seem geared up for a sale.

This is the first time the mixed development site - which sits on a land area of about 100,000 sq ft - is being put up for sale, said Ms Suzie Mok, senior director of investment at marketing agent Savills Singapore, who is handling the sale.

The freehold site, well-known for its sports equipment and attire shops, includes 241 retail units and 78 apartments.

ADVERTISING
Ms Mok declined to reveal the reserve price, but said that the estimated value of the land is “above S$500 million”.

LISTEN: The Pulse - Saving iconic landmarks as Golden Mile Complex goes en bloc
OWNERS OF 50 SHOPS OPPOSE SALE

Last year, a collective sales committee was established to look into finding a buyer. An Extraordinary General Meeting was held for residents and shop owners on Apr 20 to begin obtaining the minimum consent of 80 per cent for the collective sale to go ahead.

The committee has 12 months from the first signature to attain the required votes to launch the public tender for sale.

Ms Mok told CNA on Tuesday (Apr 30) that while Savills was “mindful and sensitive” in providing the latest figures for the consent, the sentiment on the ground was “encouraging”.

At the same time, however, some shop owners have voiced their opposition to a potential sale.

About 50 shops, which "represent over 20 per cent share value" of the property, have put their signatures down to oppose a deal, said shop owner Mrs L C Lim.

The list of signatories has been submitted to the legal team representing the collective sale as well as Savills and the collective sales committee, said Mrs Lim.

Mr Narwant Singh, who owns sports shop Weston Corporation and four other units at the four-storey mall, and his son Mr Mandeep Singh, who owns shoe shop Limited Edt, are among those against the sale.

“The en bloc process is on but there is a tremendous amount of objection. Queensway is doing extremely well. The misleading information reported that footfall has dropped is rubbish. Queensway, no matter what, is still having the best footfall out of any part of Singapore,” said Mr Narwant.

His son, Mr Mandeep, added: “Queensway gives us most returns out of all our outlets. Queensway has built a reputation over many years for sporting goods. There is no need for advertising, just word of mouth.

“Yes, the en bloc process has started but we are very doubtful. Queensway is a very important place for us.”

Meanwhile, Mr Tsia Ven Loong, who owns three units at the mall, said he is ready to give up his engraving business at ABC Gifts and Souvenirs Centre.

Mr Tsia, who opened his first shop at Queensway Shopping Centre in 1975, said he has seen fewer walk-in customers over the years.

“It was tough to get into the mall, let alone own a shop here when it first opened. In the 1980s, this place had full occupancy. We could survive in the 1990s, but business really dropped in the 2000s.”

He has also faced challenges finding people to man the shops. At his peak, said Mr Tsia, he had 20 employees running three units; today, he has four people, including him and his son.

“We live in difficult times and trends are difficult,” added Mr Tsia.

The owner of Reuben Viton Career Services, who wanted to be only identified as Madam Tan, said that a collective sale would give her a chance to retire.

She added that she has been trying to sell or lease the unit, which she purchased in the 1980s, for more than a year without any success.

“I just want to retire. I am alright with getting rid of my business.”

READ: Former HUDC Braddell View to be put up for en bloc sale at S$2.08b
RESIDENTS APPEAR TO BE SUPPORTIVE

The residents at 13-storey Queensway Tower appeared to be more supportive of the collective sale, citing the ageing property.

Ms Jessica Wong, who has lived there for 37 years, said that the area holds some “sentimental value” to her.

However, she said, she has also had to bear with constant leaking from the ceiling in her unit, because the building has been poorly maintained.

Another resident, Madam Wong Hui Lan, who has lived there for 40 years, said she is prepared to see the building go under the hammer despite its convenient location.

“I don’t really like the design and furnishings of the place anymore. It is old and as an elderly, the lack of infrastructure to cater to people like us is missing,” said the 78-year-old.

“I will miss this place because it is convenient. The bus stop is directly opposite and the (nearest) MRT (at Queenstown MRT Station) is about three to four bus stops down.”

A PART OF HISTORY

Listed by the National Heritage Board as part of its Queenstown Heritage Trail, Queensway Shopping Centre is one of Singapore’s first multi-purpose shopping complexes. It was opened in 1974 to provide shopping and recreational options for residents in Queenstown.

“Designed in the Modern style, the shopping centre is characterised by its octagonal facade and central sunken concourse which offers maximum and dual frontage shop units with display windows at two levels,” said the National Heritage Board in its website, roots.sg.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed, the McDonalds on the ground floor also got renovated, used to have that vintage signboard.

There was a game arcade on one of the upper floors, near the escalators. It was a popular place for pai kias to hang out after school. :biggrin:
Bukit Timah 6 mile was SS hotbed.
Back when Shuqin the Paikia school was still in the area

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bukit Timah 6 mile was SS hotbed.
Back when Shuqin the Paikia school was still in the area

Update on Beauty World Centre.

I think the TCM shop near the escalators no longer exists. It has been there for as long as I can remember.

Another one bites the dust?

AF1QipN8TfgDOmwOr8yCQihrbSuEi3Rpj-v8xSAKNCeB=s0