• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Albert Einstein is racist

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Albert Einstein's 'shocking' racism revealed by publication of private diaries
Chris Baynes,The Independent 10 hours ago
a172f908f1536af8ea4a89adbf32eff5

The publication of Albert Einstein’s personal diaries has revealed his racist attitudes towards foreigners he encountered on his travels.

In the private writings, the renowned physicist describes the Chinese as an “industrious, filthy, obtuse people”.

Einstein was not just known as a scientist, but as a champion of civil rights who used his platform to denounce the discrimination against African-Americans. Famously, he once referred to racism as “a disease of white people”.

He kept a diary as he toured China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Palestine and Spain between October 1922 and March 1923.

The private writings were published last week by Princeton University Press, which said they “reveal Einstein’s stereotyping of members of various nations and raise questions about his attitudes on race".

In one passage, the Nobel Prize-winning scientist describes the Chinese are “a peculiar herd-like nation… often more like automatons than people”, adding: “Even the children are spiritless and look lethargic.”

After writing of their “abundance of offspring” and “fecundity”, he goes on to say: “It would be a pity if these Chinese supplant all other races. For the likes of us the mere thought is unspeakably dreary.”

In another passage, he describes “bandit-like filthy Levantines” who board his ship during a stop at Port Said, Egypt.

“In the harbour, a swarm of rowing boats with screaming and gesticulating Levantines of every shade, who lunge at our ship. As if spewed from hell,” he wrote.

Ze’ev Rosenkranz, the book’s editor and assistant director of the Einstein Papers Project at the California Institute of Technology, told The Guardian: “I think a lot of comments strike us as pretty unpleasant – what he says about the Chinese in particular.

“They’re kind of in contrast to the public image of the great humanitarian icon. I think it’s quite a shock to read those and contrast them with his more public statements. They’re more off guard, he didn’t intend them for publication.”

In his preface to The Travel Diaries of Albert Einstein, Mr Rosenkranz says the diaries exhibit a “quirky style” and “acerbic quips” but also contain some “troublesome entries”.

“I began to ask myself: how could this humanist icon be the author of such passages?” Mr Rosenkranz writes.

He adds it “seems clear that Einstein has bought - to some extent - into the perceived threat of ‘the yellow peril’,” referring to the racist colonial trope that the people of East Asia were a threat to the western world.

Chanda Prescod-Weinstein, the cosmologist, science writer and equality campaigner, said Einstein’s racism was “shocking and disappointing”.

“I am both surprised and not surprised,” she tweeted. “Scientific ‘advance’ really does not go in tandem with social advances. Sometimes scientific success drags racism along with its interlocutors.”

Einstein toured Asia after being invited to speak in Japan shortly after being awarded the Nobel Prize in physics in 1921.

By contrast to his prejudice against the Chinese, Einstein speaks positively of the Japanese, who he praises as “unostentatious, decent, altogether very appealing”.

His diaries from the period have previously only been published in German as part of the 15-volume Collected Papers of Albert Einstein.

“The intention [of publishing diaries] is not salacious but rather a genuine attempt to understand what makes such celebrities tick,” said Mr Rosenkranz. ”This is particularly pertinent in Einstein’s case, where there is such a great discrepancy between the public image and the actual historical individual.”

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
He was not being racist he was simply making accurate observations of what the Chinese are like. I agree wholeheartedly with his views.

He is absolutely spot on about how much better the Japs are compared to the chinks. They are far more civilised. they are cleaner, neater and way more intelligent.

In comparison the Chinese are animals.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speakth ill of yr own Burmese race, uncouth, back laid ah neh Budhhist habit, dirty and much more

He was not being racist he was simply making accurate observations of what the Chinese are like. I agree wholeheartedly with his views.

He is absolutely spot on about how much better the Japs are compared to the chinks. They are far more civilised. they are cleaner, neater and way more intelligent.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most intelligent people are racist. Racism and stereotyping is brain's way to sort information efficiently

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal

images

And full of wholesome, decent bedtime reading. I second that.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well he's not wrong "industrious,filthy and obtuse" are words u would use to describe farmers,coolies and peasants.

Reading this revelation about urselves and ur race makes me sad,it's clear sinkies won't go far in Singapore,even in our own country we are no more than serfs,and we graciously accept being treated that way.sinkies are dull,obtuse,slow creatures.....even with our self denial and misguided sense of superiority it's hard to convince anyone we are any better than the 3rd world trash that surrounds us.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who is not racist? I already experienced bullying by so called victims of racial discrimination policies.

Truth_Hurts

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ang mors in the past are more racists than before. For him to say such stuff and he is. Kraut Jew which makes him more racists. Too bad he never went to Shanghai and live in those places the Russian emigre and kraut Jews escaping nazi persecution. He would be singing a different tune. In the 1920s ang mors believe they were the centre of the universe. European civilization was at its peak and ah tiong land was a dump. The countries he visited were all colonies. So what he is yapping is just ang mor ignorance

ynk2252

Alfrescian
Loyal
tanwahtiu and his ilk account for 99% of the repulsive chinese behaviour and traits. Cull them and the chinese may rank up there with the others but dont hold your breath.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Einstein is right,even in the year 2018,sinkies still have not advanced much further than their coolies and farmers ancestors.....the peasant mentality is still strong.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Einstein is right,even in the year 2018,sinkies still have not advanced much further than their coolies and farmers ancestors.....the peasant mentality is still strong.
yup, don't have to look far. you would think sinkie chinks are different from chinamen of old and uncouth tiongs of today after 50 years of independence and progress, but i rest my case. sinkies are still inconsiderate, filthy and obtuse. if they leave the trays clean on the table i'm fine with it, but at least get rid of disposables in the trash bin. they are "disposables" for a reason so cleaners don't have to collect and clean them. bins are just a few feet away. einstein if he were alive today in sg would call sinkies "spiritless, lethargic, filthy and obtuse".
hawkercentre_dirty.jpg