• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Al Wasl begin search for 'high profile' Diego Maradona replacement

Klytus

Alfrescian
Loyal

Al Wasl begin search for 'high profile' Diego Maradona replacement - report

After the Argentine legend threatened to walk away from the club last week, the Dubai outfit have revealed they are already searching for his successor

Apr 30, 2012 6:39:00 AM

By Ben Somerford

145778hp2.jpg

Al Wasl has already begun searching for a "high-profile" replacement if current coach Diego Maradona follows through with his threat to quit the club, according to a club official.

The Argentine legend last week reiterated his discontent at the lack of transfer funds at his disposal, claiming promises on recruitment haven't been kept by management and its leading him to ponder his future.

However, speaking to AP an anonymous Al Wasl official said the club had already begun looking for a replacement for Maradona.

The official said they were "taking seriously" his threat to walk away from the club whom he joined in May 2011 on a two-year deal.

Maradona, who is due to meet with Al Wasl owner Marwan bin Bayat this week, told reporters last week: "I will look at whether Al Wasl can fulfill some of my requirements. If they are unable to do so, I will leave the city with mutual agreement that satisfies both parties."

He added: "I will be ready to leave if I cannot get the players I want. If I can't compete, there is no reason to continue."

Klytus

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maradona says there's a 50 per cent chance he'll leave Al Wasl if he doesn't get reinforcements

The former Argentina national team coach has been vocal about his side's need for new signings and says if they don't arrive he may decide to "pack his bags"

May 2, 2012 8:35:00 AM

By Ben Somerford

159641hp2.jpg

Diego Maradona says there's a 50 per cent chance he will leave Al Wasl as he continues to air his discontent about the lack of recruitment from club management, who he believes promised him several quality signings.

The Argentine legend, who joined Al Wasl in May last year on a two-season deal, threatened to quit the club if they continued to fail to meet perceived promises.

Earlier in the week, Al Wasl responded by claiming they were looking for a "high profile" replacement for Maradona, should he decide to leave, with Italian pair Marcello Lippi and Gianfranco Zola linked with the club.

Speaking after Tuesday's 4-3 GCC Champions League win over Bahraini outfit Al Nahda, Maradona again insisted he needs new players if the club wants to challenge for titles and said that if this fails to materialise, he was a 50 per cent chance to exit Al Wasl.

"If I am not able to recruit new players to make the club more competitive then there is a 50 per cent chance I will leave," Maradona told reporters.

"Due to the lack of players I currently have, I find myself unable to rest some of my key players. I have to play them as I have no choice.

He added: "I hope my next meeting with the club's management will be a positive one. I hope I will be able to continue improving the side, but if things stay the same then I will have to leave my position to someone else."

The former Argentina national team went on to explain that he will decide his future at the end of the season.

"At the end of the season, I will either be packing my bags to leave or I will remain on top of my job," he said.

"I am not here for a holiday, I am here to work and that is what I want to do. If I cannot do that then I might not be able to continue."

Klytus

Alfrescian
Loyal

Diego Maradona: I'm staying at Al Wasl, even without reinforcements

The Argentine legend has threatened to quit the Dubai club recently but following club meetings has calmed down although he doesn't appear entirely content

May 7, 2012 6:15:00 AM

By Ben Somerford

152087hp2.jpg

Diego Maradona has spoken to reporters for the first time since declaring his intention to remain at Al Wasl for the length of his contract despite his recent threats to quit the club due to a lack of player recruitment.

Al Wasl released a statement over the weekend after meetings with the Argentine legend which clarified the two parties had agreed to have Maradona commit to seeing out his two-year contract which expires in June 2013.

However, speaking to reporters for the first time since the statement, in the wake of Al Wasl's 2-0 Pro-League loss to Al Wahda on Sunday which saw the side slump to eighth, Maradona appeared rather unenthusiastic but said he would remain in Dubai.

“If I said something about the board or management in the past then it was out of frustration, but I will fight with what I have next season. Even if there are no reinforcements, I will continue to fight with what I have,” Maradona declared.

He added: “During my meeting with the board last week I was told what is required of me and regarding reinforcements they are making it available that’s why I don’t want to talk about it anymore.

“When I spoke with Marwan (chairman bin Bayat) regarding reinforcements I was told that players were made available before I joined. Maybe this was not clear to me or maybe I did not understand it well enough over the last seven months that’s why I don’t want to talk about it.”

He continued: “If there was a problem here then maybe it was about not enough support [to buy better players]. In the next meeting, I will discuss some changes to be made and I will coach the players Wasl sign and I will respect my contract."

Maradona also blamed his side's disappointing 2011-12 campaign for a lack of fitness but vowed to improve next term.

“When the same players are playing week after week their fitness level is bound to drop," he said. "It doesn’t bother me, but a lack of fitness is the main problem.

"I know some people have different views about it but I will work even under these circumstances. If we can’t achieve success this season then we will work harder to achieve better results next season and I thank Wasl for giving me this chance to continue as coach next season.”

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Al Wasl sack Maradona

The Argentine coach has been fired by the Emirati outfit just one year into his contract after an underwhelming campaign, in which he failed to meet the club's expectations

Jul 10, 2012 7:55:00 PM

tumblr_m5ai4zVNx11rxlk1oo1_1280.jpg

Al Wasl have announced via their official Twitter account that they have parted company with coach Diego Maradona.

Reports in the UAE had long been suggesting that the 51-year-old could be axed by the club after a disappointing first season in charge at the Zabeel Stadium.

The Emirati club's new board of directors refuted such stories only last month, but Maradona has now been informed that his contract has been terminated one year before it was due to expire.

A club spokesman told Sport 360: "Following a meeting by the Board of Directors of Al Wasl Football Company on Tuesday evening to evaluate the technical staff of the Al Wasl football team under the leadership of Diego Maradona and after thorough evaluation of the coach and his staff it, has been decided to terminate the services of Diego Maradona and his technical staff."

Al Wasl finished in eighth position in the league, while they lost the Gulf Clubs Championship final on penalties and crashed out of the President's and Emirates Cups, both at the quarter-final stage.

Maradona returned to management in 2008 to guide the Argentine national team, before being sacked two years later following the Albiceleste's last-eight exit at the World Cup in South Africa.